Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Farming for ultramarine battle tank, am i doing it right?

Ive literally done zero research on arch, i didnt even know the little shovels showed up on the world map til i was lvl 50 lol.

Anywho, i am now lvl 500 arch and have decided to go for the tol'vir mount. What i have been doing digging all the sites in kalimdor and setting my hearth in uldum, hearthing back when they show up on the map (unless there is a dig site close to where i am).

Am i doing this right? It seems this could take a very long time at this pace, especially if RNG is against me and i dont get dig sites to pop up in uldum.

Any tips appreciated!

cant do much sadly. sorry. RNG is the annoying part of this.

So what im doing is about the best it gets?

its a grind, and random, i know some guys that got it after 15 solves, i know some that got it at 1500, personally i got mine at 401 solves .
    buy tolvir tokens and keep digging. Nothing more to it.

Gl !, its worth it.

Deleted
    I just tried avoiding the long travels just like you did basicly having a top and bottom part and tried to stay in them until I had 3-4 digsites down in or close to uldum.

If you're horde I'm not sure but HS to org with portal to uldum might be faster since you can use it to go back up to the top again. Other than that just to fly away and with the change to arch to give you more fragments / digsite should be a bit easier.

Deleted
    Basically, just keep on trucking. Stupid RNG is horrendously RNG. I've just about dug my shovel to the handle for that thing.

What I usually do is I keep on going until I have all 4 spots up in Uldum and then go there via the main city portals. There seems to be a higher chance of instant respanws IN Uldum if you have 4 spots there to start with. But that's just how it feels to me.

Current project: Another canopic jar. Who wants to bet the damn Vial recipe is finally inthere now that it's practically worthless :P

Deleted
    yep, you are pretty much doing the right thing, now its up to RNG God to smile or turn his other cheeks to you.
    I was doing the same thing you said and got my tank as 100. Tol'Vir solve (after Ring, Pendant, Pet and in this order)
    Also, you can take some of those Potions of Deepholm to travel faster (Use pot - take Deepholm portal to OG/SW - Take portal to Uldum) if your HS is on cooldown.

Good luck and happy digging!

TIP - never.stop.digging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resania View Post
    I just tried avoiding the long travels just like you did basicly having a top and bottom part and tried to stay in them until I had 3-4 digsites down in or close to uldum.

If you're horde I'm not sure but HS to org with portal to uldum might be faster since you can use it to go back up to the top again. Other than that just to fly away and with the change to arch to give you more fragments / digsite should be a bit easier.
    Pretty much this. Set you HS to Org/SW and use the Hyjall/Uldum portals to get around quickly from one end to the other. I usually ended sessions by doing Uldum, so by the time I started again I'd most likely have no sites there. So I'd always start in Hyjall and go to the nearest site, then just keep going to the nearest one till you are either closer to Uldum then any other dig site, or have at least 3 digs in Uldum. Usually it was faster to fly a short distance to Uldum and when done there take HS home and portal to Hyjall again then using HS to get to Uldum and having to fly to the nearest dig site.

Good luck though, mount is rare, and it's a heavy RNG based profession.

Deleted
    Don't set your HS to Uldum. Set it to Stormwind (As alliance), then you can use the portals to both Uldum and Hyjal to get to the other end of the continent faster.

About digsite spawns, I've found no pattern or anything, that will give you better chances of Tol'Vir digsites. Random is random. Cross your fingers. The best i've gotten was 1 digsite in Uldum, that popped to another place in Uldum after done, 7 times in a row. Still haven't gotten the mount though, after hours and hours of digging.

Atleast now you get more fragments, since there's 6 digs in each digsite. On the other hand, it can be kinda annoying to dig 6 times on all the other sites, where you completed all the rare artifacts. I guess overall it simply saves you a lot of travel time, that's it

Good point, guess i forgot hyjal was in the same continent lol.

I havent taken on a grind like this since timbermaw in vanilla lol, i was server first exalted. If i get the mount before MoP hits ill be happy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ive literally done zero research on arch, i didnt even know the little shovels showed up on the world map til i was lvl 50 lol.

Anywho, i am now lvl 500 arch and have decided to go for the tol'vir mount. What i have been doing digging all the sites in kalimdor and setting my hearth in uldum, hearthing back when they show up on the map (unless there is a dig site close to where i am).

Am i doing this right? It seems this could take a very long time at this pace, especially if RNG is against me and i dont get dig sites to pop up in uldum.

Any tips appreciated!
    You're doing it right!
    Although switch to uldum as soon one pops up. even one is close, not going straight to uldum will give you one digsite less to pop there.
    Even one is close, just avoid it, by going to uldum and doing arch there more will pop up eventually.

I heard in MoP arch in pandaland will be very easy and fast and you can trade artifacts for tol'vir artifacts which actually might be 10x more efficient if you're only after the mount.

some tips,
    if shaman, glyph your astral recall
    I'd put hs near the portal in your city or deepholm (portals -> hyal and uldum).
    If you have ring of dalaran (30min cd) you have an extra portal to tanaris.
    tabard of TB, potion of deepholm, cloak of coord -> extra stuff to travel fast to portals when hs is on cd.
    engineering also has a teleporter to either winterspring or tanaris.

Also having tomtom or something is nice but not mandatory, you can't really go afk with the different heights when switching zones.
    Also have group will travel has been replaced with "ride like the wind" (+25% increase in speed), so taking a flight path ain't that bad and allows you to do something more entertaining in between the digging.

Good luck! I personally hate it. I opened 6jars for which i farmed 30-40h after i could dig for tol'vir fragments without a drake recipe.
    I realized what a waste of time it was and never been digging after that (which is already more than a year go >.<) and just paid some tip for the mount.

And see this is why i posted here, my toon is actually an engineer and completely forgot about those teleporters lol.

ty

its random really. i got my mount however. i dunno how many solves it took before i had it. a guildy of mine was pissed cuz he was farming for it and didnt get it and i was just farming for the alch recipe and not the mount. when it popped up i did not know what it was

ps: after 5 jars i gave up on that recipe, loving the mount i got however

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The good thing is that each dig site gives you 6 digs now instead of 3.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woopytywoop View Post
    You're doing it right!
    Although switch to uldum as soon one pops up. even one is close, not going straight to uldum will give you one digsite less to pop there.
    Even one is close, just avoid it, by going to uldum and doing arch there more will pop up eventually.
    Can you explain why that would be more efficient then waiting till you have more digsites near uldum?

Traveling back and forth between the northern and southern parts of the continent is where I feel most of my time is spent when I am arch'ing. Even with portals and Hearthstones. Taking the chance that if I fly down to Uldum do the digsite and then the next spawn is all the way up north with the other three, is just not worth it.

I prefer to stock up 3-4 uldum digs and do them all at once. Or 2 Uldum digs and 2 tanaris/un'goro/silithus dig.

Deleted
    What I did, as a Horde druid, was to:
    Use my Druid to teleport to Moonglade (to cover North Kalimdor)
    Use the Guild cloak to Orgrimmar (to get the Uldum Portal);
    Set my HS to Thunderbluff to cover central-southern Kalimdor.

Deleted
    Set your hearth in org, you've got portals there, limiting your hearth to uldum just makes reaching north kalimdor harder.

I've just finished the grind for the battletank last night, have more tol'vir solves than anything bar Nelf digsites, royal pain in the arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have really have nothing better to do, I would save your fragments for when MoP hits. You'll be able to trade in the pandarian fragments for all the other non-MoP fragments thus making your grind a bit easier since you won't have to go anywhere.

Thats the thing, i really have nothing else to do lol. I grinded the high end pvp gear on 6 characters already, bg's getting kinda old

I'm much in the same boat, with the expac winding down I am figured I might as well grind for it. I hadn't thought of setting my hearth in SW, that should make a big difference for me. Thanks.