Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Graphics Drivers Crashing, but recovers

So I've been having this issues for awhile now, but never figured out what to do to fix it. My graphics drivers crash and get recovered by windows, sometimes it happens once and then it stops. Other times it keep crashing till it freezes or BSODs.

I've checked my RAM and one stick was bad. Still happened after I removed that bad stick. I've tried many different drivers from nvidia also. Could it be a bad HD that causes it? Some days I have 0 issues others I have lots. Usually after a fresh restart it stops for that day. Not enough power with 650w? I'm running 2 monitors also, 23in Dell and 20in HP off the single card.

CPU
    AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz @ 4.0 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core

PSU
    Antec NeoPower 650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Motherboard
    ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s
    USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GPU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480

OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

RAM
    CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HD
    1 TB OS
    2 TB Data

Deleted
    GeForce has known problem with older drivers crashing, just update.

Deleted
    I had same issue, everyday it keeped crashing cuz of graphic driver stoped working or something like that.... and day when cata was launched my motherboard died. When i took it to PC repair place they said its cuz of overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    GeForce has known problem with older drivers crashing, just update.
    I'm using the newest driver already and it still happens.

Hmm, my 570 has been having errors on WoW ONLY since the patch came out, so, if you're having problems on WoW only as well then maybe it's the patch?

Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Hmm, my 570 has been having errors on WoW ONLY since the patch came out, so, if you're having problems on WoW only as well then maybe it's the patch?
    No, this has been happening for months. I've just been dealing with it. I've read that the 480 is a power eater, is 650w not enough for it while running 2 monitors?

Deleted
    I had an odd issue with my 7970's were it would crash out on two monitors, i switched back to one and it has since stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    No, this has been happening for months. I've just been dealing with it. I've read that the 480 is a power eater, is 650w not enough for it while running 2 monitors?
    Since you have checked the RAM, is it possible for you to buy a cheap video card to test and then return it if it still happens? You might also want to check if your video card is still under warranty. I believe my GTX 460 had a lifetime warranty at the time I bought it. I don't have it anymore to check.
    Last edited by Perderder; 2012-09-05 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In WOW my 580 was doing the same no matter which drivers i used - solved by resetting the directx to 9 in game.
    If it's OS-wide - then it's a hell to find the problem

Ah wait, i also read on nvidia forums something about setting physX processor to nvidia card instead of auto-select, in nvidia control panel.
    Did not help me, but it can be a part of the solution anyways
    Last edited by BreathTaker; 2012-09-05 at 04:12 PM. Reason: expanded the answer

Well, it just happened again and all I don't even have WoW open.

Well, it just happened again and all I don't even have WoW open.
    If it is happening while you are just sitting at your desktop, then there is a high probability you have a defective video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Perderder View Post
    If it is happening while you are just sitting at your desktop, then there is a high probability you have a defective video card.
    Could it be anything else before I do an RMA? HD? Not enough power?

This has happened once to me using the 306.02 beta Nvidia drivers, only once happened though since I've had my card and it was last night.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    This has happened once to me using the 306.02 beta Nvidia drivers, only once happened though since I've had my card and it was last night.
    I've tried many new and legacy drivers :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Had the same issue, as well as another guildie, both of us are using the GTX 670. Beta drivers, release drivers none of that worked. He RMA'd his and hasn't encountered the issue again, I'll be RMA'ing mine after progression.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been having problems with my GTX470 in Minecraft and some other random games every once in a while. It would crash once then be fine for the rest of the day. I recently (within the past week or two) reinstalled windows and I haven't had a chance to check it, but before the reformat it did not matter what driver I would use, I think its really something you might have to deal with.

It might be a problem with the card itself, though there is no way for me to confirm or deny this.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnermighty View Post
    Had the same issue, as well as another guildie, both of us are using the GTX 670. Beta drivers, release drivers none of that worked. He RMA'd his and hasn't encountered the issue again, I'll be RMA'ing mine after progression.
    Besides the random crashing do you ever just get the computer to lock up and all sounds that were playing just stop? Could this mean hard drive or graphics card could cause this as well?

So I've been having this issues for awhile now, but never figured out what to do to fix it. My graphics drivers crash and get recovered by windows, sometimes it happens once and then it stops. Other times it keep crashing till it freezes or BSODs.

I've checked my RAM and one stick was bad. Still happened after I removed that bad stick. I've tried many different drivers from nvidia also. Could it be a bad HD that causes it? Some days I have 0 issues others I have lots. Usually after a fresh restart it stops for that day. Not enough power with 650w? I'm running 2 monitors also, 23in Dell and 20in HP off the single card.

CPU
    AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz @ 4.0 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core

PSU
    Antec NeoPower 650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Motherboard
    ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s
    USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GPU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480

OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

RAM
    CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HD
    1 TB OS
    2 TB Data

Sounds like your overclock may not be stable. Are you running your ram at 1866Mhz? Maybe your cpu/ram bios settings aren't stable. Sounds more ram related than cpu.

Download Intel Burn Test and do a 10 pass Standard test. That should tell you if you cpu is stable. Then do a Maximum or Very High test and that should also test a lot of your ram. If the pc freezes, restarts, blue screens then you know your overclock or ram settings aren't stable and need to be adjusted in your bios.

Also check your video card overclock settings and stress test your gpu if happen to have overclock your video card too.

You have to stress test your system when you overclock. Can't assume it's stable.

Also be sure to have the latest video card driver. Don't use an older one, it won't help.

Even if it was an older driver it wouldn't help with this issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides the random crashing do you ever just get the computer to lock up and all sounds that were playing just stop? Could this mean hard drive or graphics card could cause this as well?
    That's happened about three times now in the past two weeks, it just locked up and had to reset it via case button.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

its a well known problem for the Nvidia 400 and 500 series. it happens to allmost all of the pre-ocèd cards........ the companys has set the voltage to low and to fix the problem you have to bump up the voltage on your card to make the OC stable.

some manufactures has made bios updates that bumps up the voltages for you, but for some cards you have to do it your self.

i had to do it my self for my two gtx580 cards.... they are now running 1.1V and they have no problems any more.

check the manufactures home page first and see if there is a bios update for your card and if not, then install MSI afterburner and bump up the voltage your self
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: