10+ Year Old Account

PvP Rift Now & Expansion

So I still have to pay that horrible Blizzard year sub cause I mistaken it for just getting D3 (stupid me).

Anyways, my cousin is doing some GW2 and while that is a good game and I cant argue that it wasn't for me, I just don't like the stories of that game title as I played GW1.

However, I did play Rift beta & launch for about 1 month before I dropped all MMO's then got suckered back to WoW.
    I don't plan on anything like I did before with MMO's, very casual at 1 hr best per day or maybe only 5 hrs a week.

One thing that I do dislike is paying a sub now that I'm de-toxin my self of WoW, but Rift was really enjoyable. The quests were fresh and the side stuff was amazing, like the puzzles with their random item of epicness.

There was 1 area I was upset with and that was PvP. I felt it was a little clunky with the movement and how some people could be set up as god mode if they had 1 healer.

Is & will PvP for rift be different from what I personally experienced with at launch? One thing I disliked was the way my dwarf would have a dely when side stepping.

What is your experience with PvP now and what you know off for the expansion?

I just don't like the stories of that game title as I played GW1.
    GW1 and GW2 are different games.

Is & will PvP for rift be different from what I personally experienced with at launch? One thing I disliked was the way my dwarf would have a dely when side stepping.

What is your experience with PvP now and what you know off for the expansion?
    PvP in rift is a hot mess, it is really imbalanced and every time they try to re balance it gets screwed up by gear inflation from PvE and PvP updates.

There is no PvP information on rifts new expansion so currently Rift pvp = bad.

GW2 pvp really isn't all that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to sugar coat it Rift PvP is gear based progression grind. Rift PvP has gone through several facelifts since launch with various tweaks like dropping the PVP soul (this is done with plannar attunment now) valor normalization on gear (Not stats) and the pvp levels/ranks. (50 now not 8). Sure someone with a pocket healer can rip you a new one pretty quick. Rift PVP isn't to friendly on new players and requires a large time investment to get the top tier of PvP gear. There are no arenas or rated battlegrounds at this time. There is a leader board but I'm not certain if anyone pays much attention to it.

If you're looking for a game that is well rounded in both PVP and PVE I don't think that game exists. If your primary play style is PVE then yeah Rift is a good game for you.

As for as the sales pitch from the poster above about GW2 pvp it's still bit early to say if it "Isn't all that bad" The game is still in it's infancy so to actually know if that game is PvP balanced after just a week is a bit soon to say, the jury is still out on that one. My limited exposure to GW2 pvp has been much of zergfest so it still needs time to mature WvWvW isn't even properly implemented yet and only has 24 hour matches. (I've got GW2 as well and subbed to Rift) Rift PvP can be defiantly "fun" if you like a carrot on stick type of game and grouped with a good team you'll still enjoy it.

If your primary source of entertainment is PvP then I would say go with GW2, it's only $60 and no sub fee but this is strictly my opinion the PvE just seems to be tacked on to a PVP game. Yes the world is large and has an exploratory nature with nice eye candy but I already know it won't hold me for a main game but again it might for someone else who likes that type of cosmetic gear/currency farming. At best it's a game on the side for me to dabble with from time to time when I want something different.

If you're a competitive PvP type person I'd suggest have a lurk through the GW2 forums to see what people say about it and take the reviews with a grain a salt with both pro and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    If you're a competitive PvP type person I'd suggest have a lurk through the GW2 forums to see what people say about it and take the reviews with a grain a salt with both pro and cons.
    On top of this, I would borrow a friends gw2 account and try it yourself.

I'm finding it very hard to get objective opinions on gw2. And I've been searching.

Edit: Its best just to see for yourself.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

There has been testing of gear-normalized PvP, that may ship with Storm Legion. This means no more gear grind, and mitigation of balance issues developing due to gear inflation.

There are, of course, opposing voices. And while the initial schedule for testing included a run on the production servers, I think testing has been limited to the PTS so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    There has been testing of gear-normalized PvP, that may ship with Storm Legion. This means no more gear grind, and mitigation of balance issues developing due to gear inflation.

There are, of course, opposing voices. And while the initial schedule for testing included a run on the production servers, I think testing has been limited to the PTS so far.
    Unfortunately they said that normalization was not the direction they felt the game should head in.

Which is really sad. I feel like more people would try pvp if they didn't get stuffed the entire grind.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I'm not going to sugar coat it Rift PvP is gear based progression grind. Rift PvP has gone through several facelifts since launch with various tweaks like dropping the PVP soul (this is done with plannar attunment now) valor normalization on gear (Not stats) and the pvp levels/ranks. (50 now not 8). Sure someone with a pocket healer can rip you a new one pretty quick. Rift PVP isn't to friendly on new players and requires a large time investment to get the top tier of PvP gear. There are no arenas or rated battlegrounds at this time. There is a leader board but I'm not certain if anyone pays much attention to it.
    Not that I would disagree, but I've recently dinged 50 (about 8 days ago) on my new mage and I'm nearly rank 36 just from doing conquests, (average of 1-2 CQ a day). I do use prestige pots but I haven't used more than 5. I think Conquest has done a very good job of easing the "grind".

Edit: I choose Nightfall because god damn that choo choo train will net you kills.... I got my nightstalker title very quickly
    Last edited by Antipathy; 2012-09-05 at 10:05 PM.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Deleted
    really looking forward for the pvp at new expansion. they havent said anything at all. there should be new ranks and gear for sure but i do want 1-2 new wf and a new conquest map, i think they said that they are going to make new conquest right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the leveling grind and the dungeons when I played, and I loved it.
    The only reason I played wow was with friends. No friends on wow and now all I do is get nerd rage at how horrible GC is as a developer (IMO).

I'm also getting tired of cartoon MMO and I loved the graphics of Rift as I do play games to inspire the mind and improved graphics is nice.
    I cant say I will start again or even soon, but Rift is by far the best MMO I played just by my self without friends.

I hope their PvP improves and the PvE looks amazing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    really looking forward for the pvp at new expansion. they havent said anything at all. there should be new ranks and gear for sure but i do want 1-2 new wf and a new conquest map, i think they said that they are going to make new conquest right?
    I believe several of the main maps are planned, I know I've heard some people saying they would really like to see IPP Conquest, Shimmersand could be good too.

Frankly every zone would probably work out all right and give a nice change in scenery and more ACHIEVEMENTS!!!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    They have no updates what so ever for pvp in expansion, it's not even mentioned in the new trailer. Also they have struggled since launch with keeping the pvp players in game and less so with the expansion where they aren't aiming for pvp audience at all.

It's a superb game if you play pve and raid a lot. However atm it's not a casual friendly game, so I would wait for storm legion to see if that changes things and lower barriers to take part in raids and so on, just that they remove more of the grinds in the game or at least lessen them.
    So keep eyes on updates or what people say after playing beta.

But for pvp, Rift is just not that kind of game and they obviously showed this last day that pvp players aren't target audience for release of the expansion and that should be a clear sign and also remove expectations on any epic plans for pvp in this game. If they cant aim for pvp players in a big xpac launch trailer, then pvp players wont buy the expansion and then why on earth should they do anything big or epic for pvp in the future then? It makes no sense. So just do what I did, give up on this game if you are into pvp, it's a world for pve people. It's a fun game, but it's not for pvp no matter how much you would like it to be.

Deleted
    im not a pvp player i love pve,but i pvp sometimes. Tbh i like the pvp of rift and the progression it has which is really easy now with conquest. I had a warrior rank 0 with no gear and in 2 weeks im rank 20 with almost the last tier pvp gear. I want pvp in expansion as i said, at lease 1 new wf and 1 new conquest map, not hard ta make them, they have made sooooo many things for pve that should be nothing