Should I buy it?

the exchange has hard copy versions of this game... should I buy it? have never played the GW series, and looking for something to do while bored / burned out on warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's plenty of threads talking about the plusses and minuses of this game. I'd suggest browsing them and seeing if anything piques your interest, or if anything is an immediate turn off. My recommendation is of course, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, from level 1-80 is roughly 100 hours give or take depending on the person, so even if you don't find any long term value as an MMO for yourself, you're getting a very good value for a single player game, longer than most single player RPGs.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Go to youtube, watch some gameplay videos. Go to twitch, and watch some streams. Read what's offered, and then make your own mind up.

My opinion: Yes you should. Best MMO I've ever played IMO for several reasons. Highly recommended!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Go to youtube, watch some gameplay videos. Go to twitch, and watch some streams. Read what's offered, and then make your own mind up.
    Or just ask hypnotoad.

All glory to the hypnotoad!

pssst...

That means, yes, buy GW2.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-05 at 07:06 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Or just ask hypnotoad.

All glory to the hypnotoad!

pssst...

That means, yes, buy GW2.
    lolcrapokay

Deleted
    That's preposterous why in hell wou ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is what you should do, just go ahea... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Hypnotoad has spoke!
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Never played GW. Didn't care about GW2 as the hype was building. Had no interest.

Fast forward, 2 days before official launch, I "pre-order" from anet, start playing.... and WOAH it is so good, what was I thinking not checking this out sooner!

It's really good, while not as revolutionary as others put it, everything it borrows/steals is put together so well, that just their implementation could be considered revolutionary to the genre.

I will copy this from the negative opinions topic since I think this place is more appropriate for my post. I think I should delete it from there, dunno.

I have only played WoW, Age of Conan and GW 2 this far. So I will speak taking these games into perspective. First, I want to compare AoC 1 year after launch to this game 1 week after launch.

AoC had design flaws, you would get underleveled at 70 and have to farm a stupid place over and over again even 1 yeah into the game. If you wanted to do a dungeon or wiped in one, you would have to go through a mob of angry players looking to murder you (and you wiped more to those than in the dungeon). On top of that you had lackluster combat and bugs.

Now to GW 2. So far I'm level 37 with over 80 (lots of time afk, so I don't know exactly how much, I'm standing still in game right now) hours of gameplay and 15% of the world explored). That said, GW 2 was a very well designed game imo, the economy was meant to be useful to a broad range of players during leveling, not to the alts of people with tons of gold, and the story gets more and more interesting the more I play. If you like RPG, then this game is for you, if you like to get done with events/ hearts ASAP and don't look for the story/ dialogs/ special places/ mini dungeons (as I like to call them), then this game may feel very grindy. The quests have a special feeling to me, since they are pretty much a bunch of quests combined that serves a general purpose (if you don't talk to the npcs, you will never know what those purposes are). Also, the MMO part is not forgotten, as I get to see less and less people around my level, it gets progressively important to communicate/ ask for help to kill elite mobs or explore the mini dungeons (which generally have a non-soloable boss at the end or are a pain to finish by yourself).

And also important to me, the challenge/ surprise is there in various degrees, and it's everywhere, not in a few very frustrating raids. If there is the 8 explorable modes per dungeon, then I'm going to spend a hell of a lot of time in endgame content in GW 2. And I have yet another thing that I like so much I can't stress enough here that I've never seen mentioned: your character doesn't start as a weakling and end up as god, one shotting dragons by the end of the game, he is already somebody when he starts and he becomes stronger as he goes, but later on he cannot go back and murder hundreds of people who are supposed to be strong and dangerous in a matter of seconds with a simple bladestorm. You are not also saving the world at every corner, and then being treated like a nobody after, the saving the world so far seems very far of my reach. There are bugs as of now, but the only gamebreaking is the party system (If you exclude that, it feels like it has as many bugs as wow, so nothing that bad), so if you plan on playing with a friend, I'd recommend that you wait until it is fixed properly.

Now, to compare to wow a bit, pretty much in every aspect the game is better exept for raiding, which is nonexistent in the game, specially combat, which has a lot more depth (specially multiplayer wise), imo. That said, wow is a good game, but simply overpriced compared to GW 2. Of course that market doesn't have much variety, so it's not like you will have many mmos like gw 2 to play to replace wow, but 1 mmo is enough for me, and while content lasts in gw 2, I'll play it and cancel my wow sub as soon as the annual pass is gone for good, buy MoP whenever it goes on sale and get done with it in a month.

I was worried that this game wouldn't have enough content to keep me occupied for long due to the B2P model, but it is massive, simply huge and full of secrets. Really a place I will want to hang out in (and free of extra costs), even AFKeing around in Lion's Arch feels better than flying in the SW cannals. Also, the chalange in 5 man dungeons is good and probably much better to put in the schedule than the 10 M raids (which I like a lot, but just a lot harder to put together and are more time consuming), although it can lead to a very bad first impression of the dungeons with the graveyard zerg which I hope they curb to some extent. Once you learn how PVE combat works, it feels fun. I'm looking foward to doing the explorable modes dungeons, heck, there is even lore behind them, not like a bunch of harder stuff that barely rewards me with a new experience, and just doesn't make sense in a RPG.

Tl:dr it is a really good game as is, no need for patch promisses to make me recommend the game to anyone.

I'd recommend it. Even if you lose interest in it after a few months, there is enough content in the game to make it worth your money. I'd suggest reading up on the game to see if it's something you'd like to play. The game pretty much does everything it's advertised to do, so you can't go wrong with some good old research.