Time For A New Processor

So i just recently upgraded my graphics card to a 1 GB AMD Radeon 6770.

The graphics card is a champ.

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor, which I would assume I'd need a new motherboard to work with.

I've never upgraded or replaced a processor or motherboard before, so it's new to me.

Here's my system from Speecy's summary:

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 620 40 °C
    Propus 45nm Technology
    RAM
    6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON CORPORATION VIOLET (CPU 1) 55 °C
    Graphics
    S230HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 61 °C
    Hard Drives
    596GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-65A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
    Optical Drives
    hp CDDVDW TS-H653R SCSI CdRom Device
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

The computer is a HP Pavilion p6210y. The changes I have made from how it came are a new 1GB AMD Radeon 6770 and a new Corsair GS 600 power supply.

I was thinking about getting an Intel i7 processor, unless you don't think it's necessary, I'd go with an i5.

I use my computer for gaming, pretty heavily. Music, internet, photoshop and small other things. I typically don't have all these up at once. At most I'd have the internet up on one or two pages, iTunes and a game (if minimized).

So what should I get, in regards to a new processor and motherboard? Mind you I'd like to spend under $200, if that's even possible.

Or should I not bother upgrading them? I view it as theres no sense in buying a new computer when I can just upgrade things as I go. It also might be cool to get a nice case.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 06:55 PM ----------

Hahah, I just looked it up, I didn't realize i7 processors were over $200 for the processor alone.

Intel Pentium G860 ~ 87 dollars
    AsRock H61M-DGS ~ 45 dollars
    Corsair Vengeance 1333 MHz 8GB ~ 45 dollars

-----

$177 dollars

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Intel Pentium G860 ~ 87 dollars
    AsRock H61M-DGS ~ 45 dollars
    Corsair Vengeance 1333 MHz 8GB ~ 45 dollars

-----

$177 dollars
    This tech is a fair bit behind Enhshamanlol, if you can go for those suggested, you'd be more pleased. Pentium G860 is alright, but the Ivy Bridge i3 will be much better, plus the H61 is a very butchered chipset.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

When was the IB i3 range released? First time I've seen that processor.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    This tech is a fair bit behind Enhshamanlol, if you can go for those suggested, you'd be more pleased. Pentium G860 is alright, but the Ivy Bridge i3 will be much better, plus the H61 is a very butchered chipset.
    Wat, Mine is a ivy bridge I3 link. You're looking at butterlogs. But seeing how you're@ 200 dollars you could downgrade the i3 into a older sandy bridge i3 like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078
    But I would try to get the extra money if you could and get what I picked. It would be your best bet@ that price

Sunday, I'm pretty sure.@butter.

So an i3 is worth it to get?

Is it an upgrade that's noticeable compared to mine already?

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 08:45 PM ----------

Aw man, I forgot I'll need to upgrade my RAM too...

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    So an i3 is worth it to get?

Is it an upgrade that's noticeable compared to mine already?
    Like night and day.

How much better is the lowest i5 compared to this i3?

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    How much better is the lowest i5 compared to this i3?
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...2.129.50.49.48

i3 2100 vs i5 2400. Will be a similar story between the IB i3 and an i5 3450.

this is the comparison between your athlon X4 and an i3 2100. note that the ivy bridge i3 linked earlier will be even faster than the 2100.

Holy crap, mines worse than I thought.

Alright so Black Friday is coming in a few days, and so I've started my search back up on a new motherboard, processor and RAM for it.

I was looking at this bundle on TigerDirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=B69-0648

Any opinions on it? I was reading some of the reviews about the motherboard not being that great.

Or does anyone know of any Black Friday deals for a motherboard, processor and maybe RAM that all work together? I'd like something around i3 and above. I was looking at i5's but Intel is expensive. AMD seems a little cheaper.