Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    And there's jack shit we can do about it, so the only thing the whiteknights can do is suck it up, really.
    Or set an example, and shun the children who continue to scribble on the walls and pee on the floor.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen too much hate going on between folks in the game at all. Maybe it gets a little nastier at higher levels? People still rez each other, try to be nice to each other, and I've even had people 'pay it forward' with leveling gear that may be good for another profession (instead of vendoring or disassembling it).

Even /map chat is a lot more tolerable in this game than in the last four MMOs I've played.

Deleted
    ... and what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    There's a lot we can do about it. Arena Net is showing one of the quickest and easiest ways to going about it.
    How is Arena Net us?

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Or set an example, and shun the children who continue to scribble on the walls and pee on the floor.
    Are they not being shunned already? Or is it a social norm in you place?
    Last edited by Strah; 2012-09-06 at 01:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they not being shunned already? Or is it a social norm in you place?
    The discussion (as far as I'm aware, I'm drinking so I could be wrong) is about online idiocy. So to answer your question: no, they are not shunned, but largely supported and applauded. It is indeed the social norm in my (online) place.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    id still like to know how a-net is leading the charge in this great battle against 4chan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    id still like to know how a-net is leading the charge in this great battle against 4chan.
    Not sure what you're trying to say. I never said they were leading the charge or anything, but I did say they have not only made efforts to stand against it with their code of conduct (or whatever it's called), but also in statements they've made publicly about the kind of community they hope to build, and also in how they've designed their game (with the goal of cooperation in mind as much as possible).

Compare this to what happened at Blizzcon (was it last year, or the year before?). Blizzard made a stupid move in supporting the whole Horde vs Alliance bullshit, and then people were actually physically harassed/attacked in person as a result. What started as harmless, innocent, competitive fun, resulted in several Alliance players being afraid to show their true colors, and being afraid for their safety at a gaming convention.
    Beyond Blizzcon, look at their forums. Their CMs actively engage in trolling back against the acidic community of their official forums (don't get me wrong, some good people are their, but it's not exactly a "nice" place in general), because they've largely given up on actually trying anymore (I watched the transformation firsthand). Take a look at trade chat which, over time, has only gotten worse, and nobody cares anymore because "that's just the way it is." Why shouldn't trade chat be an actual trade chat?

Now, I'm not bashing Blizzard or WoW. What I am simply saying is that they don't stand against such behavior, so much as encourage it, all while putting on a nice PR face with their own behavior policies, slapping you on the wrist with a "Don't do that, that's naughty!" e-mail.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now here's a novel idea... don't broadcast your gender in a setting where it is supposed to be irrelevant.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Compare this to what happened at Blizzcon (was it last year, or the year before?). Blizzard made a stupid move in supporting the whole Horde vs Alliance bullshit, and then people were actually physically harassed/attacked in person as a result. What started as harmless, innocent, competitive fun, resulted in several Alliance players being afraid to show their true colors, and being afraid for their safety at a gaming convention.
    Beyond Blizzcon, look at their forums. Their CMs actively engage in trolling back against the acidic community of their official forums (don't get me wrong, some good people are their, but it's not exactly a "nice" place in general), because they've largely given up on actually trying anymore (I watched the transformation firsthand). Take a look at trade chat which, over time, has only gotten worse, and nobody cares anymore because "that's just the way it is." Why shouldn't trade chat be an actual trade chat?

Now, I'm not bashing Blizzard or WoW. What I am simply saying is that they don't stand against such behavior, so much as encourage it, all while putting on a nice PR face with their own behavior policies, slapping you on the wrist with a "Don't do that, that's naughty!" e-mail.
    I'm pretty sure that if a company goes all communist on players then they will lose more customers than if they would stay neutral, while also requiring less workforce. And since those are businesses - their main goal is to get as much money as possible, which is why it is the way it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Now here's a novel idea... don't broadcast your gender in a setting where it is supposed to be irrelevant.
    I support this notion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that if a company goes all communist on players then they will lose more customers than if they would stay neutral, while also requiring less workforce. And since those are businesses - their main goal is to get as much money as possible, which is why it is the way it is.
    It's not being communist in the least. That's taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

To quote from a web site I've looked up before in regards to this:
    Allowing unbridled free speech on my website would be a very bad idea. It’s easy enough to predict what would happen because I know what our moderators deal with on a daily basis, and I’ve seen what happens to other forums that have done that. Within a few months, the site would be overrun by spammers and marketers looking to promote their wares. Flame wars would flare up on a daily basis, and threads beyond a certain length would be quickly derailed by juvenile comments and trolling by drama addicts. The quality of discussions would go down the drain, especially when it came to sensitive personal topics. I’d take one look at the mess and quickly pull the plug. Our forums would not be able to fulfill their purpose under such conditions, which is for conscious growth-oriented people to come together to help each other solve problems and improve their lives.
    We already see a lot of this happening already in MMOC, where the moderators have to fight to keep it from getting out of hand on a daily basis.

---------- Post added 2012-09-05 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    I support this notion.
    That kinda masks the issue though, and simply allows it to fester. You may as well be saying "The best way to treat cancer, is to just ignore it."

Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-06 at 02:06 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    this. if you can't handle a little bit of light hearted misogyny, dont say you're female. just like if i couldn't handle gay jokes i wouldnt tell people im a queer rofl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    this. if you can't handle a little bit of light hearted misogyny, dont say you're female. just like if i couldn't handle gay jokes i wouldnt tell people im a queer rofl
    "What's the big deal? It's harmless banter. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the game." To start with, it's our game, not yours, and we get to decide what's acceptable behavior. You meet our standards or you get out. Apart from that, nothing that is done with intent to cause hurt is harmless. The online abuse I have seen goes way beyond banter. Threats are not harmless, they are criminal acts.
    ^more like this.

Cancer will just keep growing if you ignore it. And this is definitely a cancer on society.

of course, what this actually means is that the current status quo of males are free to be males, and females are free to pretend to be males, continues. how about we work toward a gaming environment where females can openly be their female selves, gays can openly be their gay selves, and blacks can openly be their black selves, instead of the straight white boys demanding that all of us all have to pretend to be you in order for us to have a bullying- and harassment-free gaming experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    of course, what this actually means is that the current status quo of males are free to be males, and females are free to pretend to be males, continues. how about we work toward a gaming environment where females can openly be their female selves, gays can openly be their gay selves, and blacks can openly be their black selves, instead of the straight white boys demanding that all of us all have to pretend to be you in order to have a bullying- and harassment-free gaming experience?
    I second this notion. This exactly is what I'm trying to say needs to happen with the gaming community at large, let alone online communities as a whole.

Deleted
    ^more like this.

Cancer will just keep growing if you ignore it. And this is definitely a cancer on society.
    The question stands. Why do you have to go into an anonymous society and go like "Look at me, I'm a girl!"? Sexism might be a problem in real life, but it shouldn't be in games. And I don't report people that are rude to women, I report people when their talk is offensive, no matter the gender of the offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    The question stands. Why do you have to go into an anonymous society and go like "Look at me, I'm a girl!"? Sexism might be a problem in real life, but it shouldn't be in games. And I don't report people that are rude to women, I report people when their talk is offensive, no matter the gender of the offended.
    Who said anybody has done that? The problems arise when people find out about it through innocent conversation or, simply, people getting on vent to communicate more easily than typed chat.

As I said in the beginning of this thread, while the guy who wrote that was all about fighting against sexism, the message he's sending needs to spread to bigotry itself, not to purely sexism. The entire intent of this thread can be summarized in one specific quote from the post:
    This is not about "protecting women." It's about cleaning out the sewers that our games have become.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    of course, what this actually means is that the current status quo of males are free to be males, and females are free to pretend to be males, continues. how about we work toward a gaming environment where females can openly be their female selves, gays can openly be their gay selves, and blacks can openly be their black selves, instead of the straight white boys demanding that all of us all have to pretend to be you in order to have a bullying- and harassment-free gaming experience?
    And pray tell, when I play a video game... why should I care about your gender? Or race? Or sexual preferences?

I'm not saying pretend to be something your not, I'm saying shut the hell up if it's not relevant. I'm not playing a video game for your life story, I'm playing it to crush the skulls of bad guys.

Good job on assuming I'm white, btw.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

10+ Year Old Account
    And pray tell, when I play a video game... why should I care about your gender? Or race? Or sexual preferences?
    Exactly. You shouldn't care.

The problem is, there's people who do, and then act on that care when they get the chance, and thus find ways to make the game experience for those "other" people miserable.

Loving this comment Drake "The best way to treat cancer, is to just ignore it." Speaks volumes about how bad the online community is.

I would enjoy the online gaming a lot more if people couldn't hide behind their pc and spew dribble over the games they play.

These boys wouldn't dare make these threats if their identity was revealed.