Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Enhance mobility and why still no gap closer?

I think I speak for almost every Enhance Shaman when I say, "Why are we still the only melee without a gap closer?" Especially in this current state of the game where classes are becoming more homogenized and look less and less unique, why is there still this blaring contradiction? Below I'm going to list the classes and specific abilities so we can further discuss this in detail and try to draw a logical conclusion as to why Enhance still remains the only melee class without a true gap closer. Furthermore, I'd like for people to discuss as to why some sort of gap closer is not only needed, it should be mandatory especially with new change to dispel mechanics.

Warrior - Charge (12sec or two on a 20 sec cd), Intervene (30 sec cd), and Heroic Leap (45 sec or 30sec w/glyph) Death Knight - Death Grip (25 sec cd and w/2pc bonus double grip in a 3 sec window) Rogue - Shadowstep (24 sec cd) or Burst of Speed (60 energy NO cd) Feral Druid - Displacer Beast (30 sec cd), Skull Bash (15 sec cd), and two root breakers via Dash (3min) and Stampeding Roar (2min)...Also the ridiculous passive movement speed which actually will negate most snares, especially if infected wounds or any other slow is active on the target. Retribution Paladin **No true gap closer, but has baseline on-demand root removal/immunity on a significantly shorter cd (25 sec) when compared to Windwalk Totem (1min)** - Hand of Freedom (25 sec cd), Emancipate (NO cd), and any of the New Tier 1 Talents which have significantly shorter cds than a Windwalk totem. Monk - Tiger's Lust (30 sec cd), Roll (1 sec cd), and Flying Serpent Kick (25 sec cd.)

So why do some classes have multiple gap closers, but enhance has NO baseline method to close distance? The option of Windwalk Totem really isn't viable nor practical because to gain this totem (which still isn't a gap closer) you give up the root affect from Frozen Power, which is the only thing enhance has to keep a target within a reasonable distance. Glyph of Ghost Wolf is mandatory unless you plan to waddle from target to target, but again it still falls short in acting in a manner consistent with any of the previous examples of gap closers currently available to all other melee specs. So what are some possible remedies or ways to improve mobility?

Would it be so much to ask in making Windwalk Totem baseline for the enhancement spec and create a new Tier 2 ability in its place which in some way acts like a traditional gap closer? This way you give the player the choice at a root affect or a gap closer, while still providing mobility via the totem. If that is too much, maybe keep the Tier talent choices the way they currently are and just create a baseline gap closer specific to the spec? Maybe even reinstate the old freedom Earthbind Totem granted? I'm just trying to toss out ideas and get a logical discussion going, because this has been an under-represented and under-performing spec since season 9 that has received little to no change, especially in regard to mobility. I can't help but constantly think about the numerous posts I saw filling the Warrior forums about lack of mobility in a PvP scenario, it was actually hilarious. Clearly charge, heroic leap, and intervene weren't enough, the baseline abilities had to be tweaked and have cd times reduced but Enhancement receives nothing?

You can view this thread as QQ, but I'm honestly trying to understand the reasoning behind the changes and more specifically the lack thereof in regard to this spec. Feel free to comment and post ideas/suggestions because I truly believe with enough positive discussion and feedback, the necessary and needed mobility changes can finally be addressed and Enhancement could become a much more viable and enjoyable spec to play.

So rather than be on par with other classes and have a baseline ability which is available to other specs at the cost of being somewhat unique, you would prefer to be significantly less mobile and have no way to instantly close distance to get back onto your target? While I respect your opinion, I completely disagree with it and don't understand why you would prefer this current inferior state of the spec. I'm not asking for anything radical. Rather, just a a mechanic/ability which is standard and available to other specs.

we get a low cd sprint at 90

This "low" cool-down sprint is 2 minutes and is actually worse than its previous form since it is now ON the global cool-down, not based on the pet's global cool-down. Even with Glyph of Spirit Walk, a 25% reduction only brings it to a 90 sec cool-down but at what cost? With the current state of mobility, Glyph of Ghost Wolf is a must or else you just waddle back and forth in between snare durations; you're almost forced to play with a paladin or hunter to get fed freedoms to have a somewhat respectable up-time. Without Glyph of Healing Storm maelstrom does relatively little, so that leaves a 3rd open glyph spot. Would you really reduce Spirit Walk cool-down when you could rather improve your Hex, Purge, or Shamanistic Rage? I think not, Purge speaks for itself since it's a 2 for 1, which in the long run saves you so many global cooldowns over the course of a game. A reduced hex cool-down offers more cc opportunities and even a glyphed rage can provide a much quicker and consistent nova/root breaker. In summary, what we get is nothing new or even better when compared to similar abilities: freedom, burst of speed, dash, stampeding roar, Tiger's Lust (30 sec cd) etc.

You know what I clearly missed your point, you were talking about the Unleash Elements choice. In regard to that, to gain a somewhat increased form of mobility you are losing a SIGNIFICANT and rather consistent form of damage via Elemental Blast. The ability to maelstrom Elemental Blast is incredible, as you can coordinate timely swaps with a stored searing stack and a maelstrom blast on a relatively short cool-down. Factoring in the somewhat increased uptime you would gain (still is not an instant closer) via the Unleashed Fury talent, the damage output would still be less than choosing Elemental Blast - Static Shock procs in that 8 second window of the Unleash combined with the slightly increased movement speed still in my opinion does much less damage than choosing Elemental Blast (not just the initial damage but the random stat increase). Again, why no gap closer? I would consider this talent IF the Unleash with Frostbrand active actually dispelled or removed current root and/or snare affects in addition to the movement speed increase. However it doesn't, so it's just another gimmicky method which indirectly attempts to deal with the current problem of Enhancement mobility.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 11:06 PM ----------

In regard to Helltrixz last response...

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. You're making it seem like I'm asking for something unreasonable which is only particular to one or even two classes/specs. When you see an across the board availability in one form or another of a gap closer which other classes have, and then you receive nothing to address the current lack of mobility it becomes incredibly frustrating when the other classes who already had a method of gap-closing receive a buff to its current form and/or addition of other ways to close distance. Look at Enhance representation in arenas, it's deplorable. You ever seen an Enhance shaman in a RBG on any relevant team? You don't, you waddle from target to target and are dependent on freedoms to get from point A to Point B.

I've not seen an Enhancement Shaman in pvp since the patch.

Not saying Enhancement would be popular at all in RBGs, I'm making the point that the listed classes are more mobile, which is the actual point of this thread - Enhancement mobility and lack of it. The only reasons rogues are brought in to RBGs are for bombing efc and/or to get early kills during initial team fights, not to mention for controlling selected targets via stuns, garrote silence, gouge, and the best melee lockout duration on an interrupt. DKs receive invites for the consistent damage, necrotics, and first and foremost deathgrips to setup kills. In neither case is the premise of improved mobility the factor for the invite, it's the function of the class and what it brings to the table.

Having utility shouldn't compromise functionality and viability of a spec. Being able to perform abilities outside of actual damage is great, but when it gets to the point of bringing more utility than actually playing a DPS role because of insufficient uptime on a target, why bring that class in the first place? I find it great that we can have discussion and disagree, but again I return to Enhance representation in an arena setting. If the utility was really as great as you're making it seem to not need a gap closer, than why is Enhancement the lowest represented melee spec in arenas?
    Last edited by bigdrew02; 2012-09-07 at 12:04 AM.

Follow me on this crusade, I'm just trying to revive a dying spec. You seem proficient and educated regarding the spec so I appreciate the input and I do agree survivability is rather blah, but I think with the new Glyph of Healing Storm we can get a bit more peace of mind about survivability. Combined with Echo of Elements, you can have some rather consistent and fairly predictable self or off-heals. I can't honestly remember when I would consistently use a 5 stack maelstrom on a lightning bolt, the damage is so subpar I just hold it for a heal on myself or a teammate - now with Elemental Blast I'm actually excited I have more options than a weak lightning bolt, instant hex, and/or heal.

I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on the level 90 talent choices. I'm sure you're going to run Frostbrand now with the new 4 piece set bonus, so do you feel Unleashed Fury would be more practical and viable to pickup over Elemental Blast? In my opinion, I feel a 4 second mini sprint (50%, not 70% like other similar abilities) after unleashing your Frostbrand is just negating an active snare, not actually removing it or making you move faster than normal to close the distance if you have an active snare on yourself. So I would prefer the extra offensive pressure when I can get it rather than the increased mobility, albeit a minor mobility improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the utility was really as great as you're making it seem to not need a gap closer, than why is Enhancement the lowest represented melee spec in arenas?
    Oh really? Less then Prot, other Prot, Fury, Combat, Mutilate, Blood... I want to see some stats!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrew02 View Post
    This "low" cool-down sprint is 2 minutes and is actually worse than its previous form since it is now ON the global cool-down, not based on the pet's global cool-down. Even with Glyph of Spirit Walk, a 25% reduction only brings it to a 90 sec cool-down but at what cost? With the current state of mobility, Glyph of Ghost Wolf is a must or else you just waddle back and forth in between snare durations; you're almost forced to play with a paladin or hunter to get fed freedoms to have a somewhat respectable up-time. Without Glyph of Healing Storm maelstrom does relatively little, so that leaves a 3rd open glyph spot. Would you really reduce Spirit Walk cool-down when you could rather improve your Hex, Purge, or Shamanistic Rage? I think not, Purge speaks for itself since it's a 2 for 1, which in the long run saves you so many global cooldowns over the course of a game. A reduced hex cool-down offers more cc opportunities and even a glyphed rage can provide a much quicker and consistent nova/root breaker. In summary, what we get is nothing new or even better when compared to similar abilities: freedom, burst of speed, dash, stampeding roar, Tiger's Lust (30 sec cd) etc.
    try looking at unleashed fury.

Deleted
    Another 'my class doesnt have X QQ thread'
    Enhance has
    -insta sustained heals (procs)
    -insta ccs (procs)
    -root
    -ranged spells
    -good burst
    -good survival
    -insta ghost wolf

enhance is in a very good spot atm,
    I really dont understand why you want more...

And yes I play enhance myself, its awewesome.
    How can you complain about mobility with such a low cooldown
    on frost shock (root) and with dispel on an 8 second cd...?
    Last edited by mmocaa8ea6144f; 2012-09-07 at 07:04 AM.

Response

-Stormspellz Try looking at my response immediately following that, I clearly discussed Unleash and my thoughts regarding it. Would you really give up consistent burst and damage from Elemental Blast and its short-term stat buff to gain a 4 second sprint?

-Biggischkris I must be playing another game, I didn't realize enhance was in that great of a spot. The overwhelming abundance of enhancement playing during Cataclysm must have been on an entirely different battlegroup, because I certainly didn't run into any with any consistency on Nightfall. Only one of relevance that comes to mind is Jahmillz or Owies. Again, the breakdown of relevant melee classes in arena up to this point would prove otherwise your argument.

Now how can I complain about mobility with a low cooldown on frost shock? Does the frost shock actually close a gap for you? It maintains the distance, you still have to waddle over to the target to hit it. The situation is further exaggerated with new dispel format, you become MORE reliant upon dispels/freedoms to maintain significant uptime on targets since there is no current gap closer available to the spec. Good survival? You're joking right, bulwark is a nerfed version of Stoneclaw totem - the shield is dispellable and has a longer base cooldown, Guardian doesn't actually reduce damage it only increases HP while in execute range, and Ashtral Shift is a 40% reduction which lasts 6 seconds. I can think of a handful of better defensive cooldowns I would rather have over those choices, they're really nothing to get excited over. Outside of Shamanistic Rage, you're pretty much a duck.

I'm not asking for anything that isn't already made available to other melee specs; some specs have multiple gap closers but yet we can't get one? Arena representation doesn't lie, up to this point its been a dying spec that hasn't had core issues addressed for several seasons now. Lemme know how you feel about mobility in MoP as you queue into the various wizards and abundance of druid/lock/x you will run into and then honestly tell me having a gap closer isn't needed and spec is currently in a good spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    We got wolves that gives us a nice sprint. Frostshock that can freeze. and now i MoP we will get a elemental form that makes ALL melee attacks 30yard range i think it was. it will truly be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowater View Post
    We got wolves that gives us a nice sprint. Frostshock that can freeze. and now i MoP we will get a elemental form that makes ALL melee attacks 30yard range i think it was. it will truly be epic.
    Wolves don't give you sprint anymore, which is part of the issue the OP has. Spirit walk is now a shaman spell and not a feral spirit spell. This means casting spirit walk triggers a global cooldown on your character, instead of it triggering on the wolves.

The only thing I do not like about Enhance at the moment is the over reliance on glyphs to be any where near competitive for PvP. Glyphs are meant to give players meaningful choices, but for Enhance and PvP, they are all no brainers. You have to take certain glyphs or you become a burden to your team.

It is looking likely I may end up getting MoP as several real life friends are getting it and there is a possibility of a 10 man raiding guild. I would quite like to continue playing an Enhance shaman, but I also have the possibility of playing a DK, and currently I would probably pick the DK.
    RETH

Will ascendance still be good at 90 ?

Return earthern power and make it remove roots as well, as a glpyh.

Make ghost wolf glpyh baseline.

Or, make and enhc only specialization ghost wolf removes snares or roots when you are in it, or shift to it like druids.

I don't want a gap closer like charge or shadowstep or deathgrip as enhc, I just want to be able to get to them.

But as it is I'm more worried about Enhc mana in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Will ascendance still be good at 90 ?
    As far as I can tell Enhance DPS is balanced around Ascendance. This is why Enhance shaman DPS has taken quite a tumble at level 85, but is apparently pretty decent at 90.
    RETH

The idea is to get you to use Frostbrand.

Yeah it's a little annoying fighting druids but PVP isn't suppose to be easy against equal opponents.
    And LOL if you're using Windwalk. Frostshock Root is the only way to go, especially if you want Capacitator to work right.

Plus, Frostbrand will only get better with the level 90 talent. Not to mention Ascendance will ease the pressure of kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    The idea is to get you to use Frostbrand.

Yeah it's a little annoying fighting druids but PVP isn't suppose to be easy against equal opponents.
    And LOL if you're using Windwalk. Frostshock Root is the only way to go, especially if you want Capacitator to work right.

Plus, Frostbrand will only get better with the level 90 talent. Not to mention Ascendance will ease the pressure of kiting.
    Frostbrand will never be used by anyone worth their salt in PvP. You lose sustained DPS due to the changes of Searing Flames, and Frost shock is just better at keeping things locked down, especially now that Frozen power (if you take it) doesn't have a minimum range component.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Frostbrand will never be used by anyone worth their salt in PvP. You lose sustained DPS due to the changes of Searing Flames, and Frost shock is just better at keeping things locked down, especially now that Frozen power (if you take it) doesn't have a minimum range component.
    No, you'll use frost brand for pvp over FT in MOP with the new 4 piece set bonus, for the sprint, the 70% snare, and the auto undispellable 50% snare.

And so that you don't keep DRing roots with Frozen Power with frost shock to slow.

The loss of searing flames damage is more than made up by the increased uptime, especially since FTW was nerfed.