Highest Direct Damage Profession?

I've been leveling a theif to 40 and so far i've had fun doing so but i can't help but feel that there is no such thing as a melee favored "boss" in dungeons and i've always had to step out of melee range and pull out my gun just to stay alive, problem is, i don't really like the ranged arsenal the theif has and it's too condition damage based imo.

What i would really like is a ranged class that can do some heavy damage, i've always been into high crits and stuff from other games but i really have no idea which ranged classes can do that.

So im basically asking, what professions, if any, are capable of throwing out some ranged big hits? any suggestions?

ranged big hits? Probably elementalist or ranger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakkarioth View Post
    problem is, i don't really like the ranged arsenal the theif has and it's too condition damage based imo.
    Have you tried going for Haste and just Unload in their faces with double pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakkarioth View Post
    What i would really like is a ranged class that can do some heavy damage, i've always been into high crits and stuff from other games but i really have no idea which ranged classes can do that.

So im basically asking, what professions, if any, are capable of throwing out some ranged big hits? any suggestions?
    I'd say Warrior or Ranger.

Greatsword warrior.

With a decent crit chance one can maintain about 8 stacks of might at all times, also having bleed on crits and a 6.4 sec CD on the strongest channeled spell in the game. Which is also aoe.

If we're talking ranged - then it's either a longbow ranger or a rifle warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Have you tried going for Haste and just Unload in their faces with double pistols?
    Not tried that yet so i might as well give it a shot(pun intended)
    Though im starting to get bored overall with my thief.

Like Strah writes, almost certainly a greatsword warrior. The core damage-dealer is pretty obnoxious to use, though. It roots you in place for the duraion, and even the slightest displacement of the target, or any kind of interrupt or CC, will seriously disrupt the damage potential.

Dunno about ranged. Rifle warrior does a lot less damage than greatsword warrior, but it's still pretty high and I'm not sure how the other ranged measure up. It does have kind of obnoxious AoE, though.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Kagasumi View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT the elementalist lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Switch to using a shortbow instead of pistols. Pistols are only decent for one thing, single target ranged damage, and they're not very good at it either. Using shortbow with cluster bomb spam you can reach pretty much the same single target dmg as you can with pistols and as an added bonus everything is aoe with a shortbow AND you get infiltrator's arrow.

Seriously, shortbow > pistols, for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Greatsword warrior.

With a decent crit chance one can maintain about 8 stacks of might at all times, also having bleed on crits and a 6.4 sec CD on the strongest channeled spell in the game. Which is also aoe.

If we're talking ranged - then it's either a longbow ranger or a rifle warrior.
    Longbow is no longer the best ranged weapon for the Ranger. Shortbow has taken it's place and is the way to go if you're looking for insane single target damage. It wasn't always like this, in the betas, the Shortbow was very weak compared to the Longbow. This is just from my experience.

Longbow - 500 to 600 white auto attack damage. Can critical strike up to 1,500. Very slow attack speed.

Shortbow - 380 to 430 white auto attack damage. Can critical strike up to 1,200. Has a bleed that deals about 50 to 60 damage. The more stacks on the faster you do damage with the bleeds. About 2 and a half auto attacks per second.

So by the time you hit your second auto attack for the Longbow, you've already done about 850 - 1000 damage with the Shortbow.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2012-09-07 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Longbow is trash for damage. Shortbow is the way to go for damage as a Ranger.
    indeed.. longbow needs some love

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    Then you're doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post

You're being sarcastic right? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kagasumi View Post
    I suppose you told it like a joke right?and I bet my home that you don't even touched elementalist yet
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.