Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    GW2 can never be a WoW killer for many reasons but one of the big ones is that the instanced PvE is no where near the quality of WoWs (this is not up for debate!) but overall it is a great game and its buy to play.
    Funny how that is not debatable, because besides the graveyard zerg flaw (and a couple of bugs that don't manage to break them, they are more fun to me than wow raids. Seriously, LFR is just like a dinamic event, and I'm not going back to schedule raiding in my life anymore (just to have 2 or 3 people not show up), I still don't understand why people accept to be replacement in wow. Unless there is actually some good reward content wise to make me (and no HM are not good content rewards, they are boring rehashs). And the content rewards are there in GW 2, explorable modes are pretty much all different from each other (and even have their own lore) and from story mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Imo GW2 does everything better than WoW except for 5 man dungeons and raids. That is why I play GW2, the PvP is amazing, the PvE (non instanced) is amazing even the guild system that lets you be in more than 1 guild and cross server guilded is amazing because it lets you speak to all your friends. Oh yea and the cross server playing with friends out in the world is amazing too.

GW2 can never be a WoW killer for many reasons but one of the big ones is that the instanced PvE is no where near the quality of WoWs (this is not up for debate!) but overall it is a great game and its buy to play.
    WoW has the same cross-server functions now except for guild, but now you can quest with your friends xrealm

Who. Cares?

What does it matter how it's played by anyone but yourself? Are you having fun in GW2? If yes, then great, play it to your hearts content. If not, or if you have another game you'd rather be playing at any particular moment then go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Yeah, i did AC,CM, SE, and TA, first 3 done in explorable as well.
    As i did state somewhere around here before - explorable CM was the worst dungeon experience in my MMO "career".

I just don't feel like doing dungeons since a) they're artificially difficult, b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever, c) they take a lot of time, d) they're quite buggy, i guess. Overflow servers makes it impossible for your party to get into the same dungeon, if a player leaves the party - you won't be able to get a new member and continue it - you need to start from the beginning.
    and e) there is no competition. There are no damage meters, you don't get penaltized for failing - you can just graveyard zerg anything you want if you feel like it.
    Im sure you can replace player. I doubted it at first, since even though the new comer could join our instance we couldnt see him on the map and all - but it turned out fine when he came closer.

There is no need for damage meter. WoW educated you lot so well you seems to be unable to get out of it. Dont expect this to be another WoW, the fact that the developer allowed you to zerg the encounter should tell you that. The same with raiding: I like WoW raiding, but I wont play another game expecting the same old model. Thats why I quit Rift as soon as I reached 50.

Each game its own. Clinging to the past game's mindset, esp. for a MMO, is bad IMO.

Deleted
    Well this will be my main mmo 18 more days, and you know what's coming that day . I will probably chceck GW2 out later on again, after I will get bored in WoW.
    For me it's win-win situation, because of non subscription game.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    There is no need for damage meter. WoW educated you lot so well you seems to be unable to get out of it.
    I bet anyone who says something like this sucked hard in WoW or any other game that has a combat log

The truth is that without knowing how better or worse are you doing compared with the others you won't ever progress. You can live in your little world and think you're so valuable for the group, while being pure shit. Anyone with a minimum self esteem would have a problem with this incertitude.

In any game that is numbered based, a tool that let's you analyze those numbers and improve upon them is a sheer necessity.

I thought this game just another D3 which was a waste of money for me but it turned out to that this game is brilliant. I just love combat, art, environment and I'm enjoying the game. Only downside is PvP I guess. My main focus was going to be WvsW but when I tried it and I concluded that its a GIANT zergfest with no strategy involved. We can't see the names which is wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Yeah, i did AC,CM, SE, and TA, first 3 done in explorable as well.
    As i did state somewhere around here before - explorable CM was the worst dungeon experience in my MMO "career".

I just don't feel like doing dungeons since a) they're artificially difficult, b) they don't reward you for you effort whatsoever, c) they take a lot of time, d) they're quite buggy, i guess. Overflow servers makes it impossible for your party to get into the same dungeon, if a player leaves the party - you won't be able to get a new member and continue it - you need to start from the beginning.
    and e) there is no competition. There are no damage meters, you don't get penaltized for failing - you can just graveyard zerg anything you want if you feel like it.
    Just to help you out finding an answer to your assumptions:
    a: Yes, explorable can be tough as nails. If you prefer easy content story mode will fit you better
    b: I'd say the fun, currency, xp, crafting material and emblems (used for nice gear in LA) you get are pretty damn nice rewards.
    c: I did a route of CM explorable in 30 minutes yesterday. It merely depends whether you die a lot, or not.
    d: I haven't found any bugs, you can easily replace players from your server and overflow
    e: In GW2 currency has value, graveyard zerging will eventually result in spending all your funds on repairs and simply isn't an efficient way of handling things
    e2: Competition/Damage meters - yeah, imo these have only had drawbacks in other games.

Anyway, if you've got nothing to do at level 80, it's because you choose to have nothing to do. For example, when I stopped raiding in wow, because doing the same grind every week bored me out of my mind, didn't have anything to do either. So I quit the game, but didn't complain because I understood raiding was the only pve wow offered and I chose to not participate in it.

What you COULD do in GW2 pve wise;
    - In depth crafting, of all professions if you'd like to
    - Dungeon farming for emblems and exotic sets
    - Farming for legendary weapons
    - Farming elite events for fun and karma

I don't see any other mmo offering more to do at level cap.

Anyway, good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    I bet anyone who says something like this sucked hard in WoW or any other game that has a combat log

The truth is that without knowing how better or worse are you doing compared with the others you won't ever progress. You can live in your little world and think you're so valuable for the group, while being pure shit. Anyone with a minimum self esteem would have a problem with this incertitude.

In any game that is numbered based, a tool that let's you analyze those numbers and improve upon them is a sheer necessity.
    If the damage meters determined the value of your players, I'm sure the overal quality of your guild wasn't that good. In GW2 it's about support, teamwork and staying alive. Damage meters would only attract more braindead players who stand nailed to the ground mashing their 'rotation', subsequentially and inevitabely dying and not helping the group at all.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2012-09-07 at 07:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awake709 View Post
    This and more. The game is absolutely brilliant.
    How can you say that?
    I really don't understand, I feel like i miss something in this game, some people are so in love with it.

I find this game enjoyable at max, and only when there are a lot of events and people around me, otherwise it's meh, for me.

Please tell me what i'm missing...

Quote Originally Posted by Toinouze View Post
    How can you say that?
    I really don't understand, I feel like i miss something in this game, some people are so in love with it.

I find this game enjoyable at max, and only when there are a lot of events and people around me, otherwise it's meh, for me.

Please tell me what i'm missing...
    Why are you asking us to tell you what you miss? Do you 'miss' something compared to other games? If so, its easy to put your finger on it.

Oh well. I do use damage meter and read combat log regularly, but you know I play main healer so my view of the world might be a bit... differ from you.

The damage meter has a single useful purpose: to determine if one's DPS is sufficient to make it through the encounter first time, and do it again comfortably during farm runs. Lower than a certain threshold, you are disqualified. Higher, then its more comfortable, quicker run etc. but in the end it does nothing other than boost some people's ego. I dont mind them showing off their DPS though, if its what make their game fun. What you lot call "damage meter" actually should be called "efficiency meter" since, you know, it usually has a few more less-known features that I bet you never ever touched

Again: WoW educated you lot so well that many many kids forgot a game can be fun without relying on a freaking tool to boost up their ego.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2012-09-07 at 08:04 AM.

Your bet is lost. I was pretty much consistently 1st on the meters and for years and in three different guilds. Occasionaly someone was close and then we battled for that 1st place. And that is exactly why I hate meters. Becouse I feel pressured by them. Like when I am not first I think something is wrong with me or the way I play. In presence of meters I could never trully chill becouse my entire focus was on "omg dps dps dps!". I built that reputation of being a solid dps and I had to consistently prove it that I am still at the top level. Its cool for a while, makes your epeen grow. But after few years its just get frustrating. Since quite a while I perceive all kinds of damage meters as a plague which needs to be wiped out.

Deleted

I bet that most gw2 were hc raiders, in which either they dont have time to raid or finally got totally bored with it after playing for years.

Honestly gw2 is the perfect mmo to play with a sub based mmos, especially in between patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's what I plan it to be.

With WoW, there is so many times I just log in 1-2 times a week to raid, with nothing else to do. I'm hoping GW2 will fill that void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Your bet is lost. I was pretty much consistently 1st on the meters and for years and in three different guilds. Occasionaly someone was close and then we battled for that 1st place.
    That means that you either player an unknown secret class that was constantly overpowered, or you were in guilds that sucked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackone View Post
    That means that you either player an unknown secret class that was constantly overpowered, or you were in guilds that sucked.
    Can we stop this crap please?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackone View Post
    Have to agree with this, I've never seen one class constantly top the meters, fights will always benefit other classes more, so to consistently be top of the meters, means everyone else sucked.

I'm always near the top of the meters, but there is fights which favour range, which give me no hope of finishing top, unless the range sucked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Your bet is lost. I was pretty much consistently 1st on the meters and for years and in three different guilds. Occasionaly someone was close and then we battled for that 1st place. And that is exactly why I hate meters. Becouse I feel pressured by them. Like when I am not first I think something is wrong with me or the way I play. In presence of meters I could never trully chill becouse my entire focus was on "omg dps dps dps!". I built that reputation of being a solid dps and I had to consistently prove it that I am still at the top level. Its cool for a while, makes your epeen grow. But after few years its just get frustrating. Since quite a while I perceive all kinds of damage meters as a plague which needs to be wiped out.

yeah sure you were. With all the class changes and FOTM, you were alwyas on top. Troll me harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    yeah sure you were. With all the class changes and FOTM, you were alwyas on top. Troll me harder.
    Did he mention when he played? In TBC warlocks were top, closely followed by windserpent hunters. No other class could even touch those two and that, for the whole duration of TBC, including sunwell.

Anyway, irrelevant. DPS meters are useless and only force people from a utilitarian position ultimately resulting in lower overal progress.

My Warlocks all had soulink, even if it 'gimped' their DPS. Many guilds fail, because they have players using cookie-cutter builds that only focus on damage. Try this in GW2 and you'll fail extremely hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Did he mention when he played? In TBC warlocks were top, closely followed by windserpent hunters. No other class could even touch those two and that, for the whole duration of TBC, including sunwell.

Anyway, irrelevant. DPS meters are useless and only force people from a utilitarian position ultimately resulting in lower overal progress.

My Warlocks all had soulink, even if it 'gimped' their DPS. Many guilds fail, because they have players using cookie-cutter builds that only focus on damage. Try this in GW2 and you'll fail extremely hard.

he said "for years" and I doubt he only ment TBC, damage meters werent even that popular back then.