Deleted

Guild Wars 2 dungeons

i haven't found a thread about them specifically, so i made one.

well, how to describe the dungeons best? hmmm

- imagine doing shattered halls heroic in burning crusade with blue gear
    - imagine not having a tank and healer
    - imagine the instance being full of traps and aoe effects that kill you very fast aswell
    - imagine the only way for people in your group to heal themselves is for 30-40% life every 30 secs

that's what guild wars 2 dungeons feel like to me ^^

maybe your experiences were different?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's pretty much my experience with them. It's difficult; but that's what makes it a ton of fun.

I didn't find storymode overly difficult after I knew what was to be expected. The other 4 people in my group though....

Deleted
    Haven't done any explorable yet, I'll wait with those 'til I hit 80 (63 now), but the storymodes are a bucketload of fun. Once you get used to "every man for himself and everyone else" kind of mindset it's really enjoyable. I only pug one person though since we're a gang of 4 friends playing and dungeoneering, and that makes life a whole lot easier. I like the difficulty, and that you have to be aware of everything around you in order to stay alive, it really shows who knows what to do and who doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is an overly-used excuse, but, they are meant to be hard.

That being said however, if you find yourself in really pricky situations scratching your head and wondering "what sadistic son of a bitch thought up this dungeon?!?!" then look on the ground and walls. I'm not joking, every part of the dungeons that I have encountered that I felt like I was being stone-walled at all I did was look around and found something either on the wall or the floor that made the encounter 10 times easier.

Examples:
    -Throw the rocks at the Lovers boss fight in AC Story Mode; the bosses won't even have a chance to attack.
    -Pick up the guns that are provided in CM Explorer Mode; they are laying around for a reason...

Deleted
    i actually like do not like CM story cause of its farmability. CM its setting is great, and the easyness make it goof for farming, but again its 1000x easier compared too AC. Unless you run a 5group where only 1 person uses a ranged weapon =P then 1st 2 bosses are a PITA. So far i only done AC, CM, and TA? the one where you go with Caithe.

Overall i think thrash is overtuned as hell, and for those who say the holy trinity is gone, yes it is. But you will do just fine with the Gw2 Trinity, Damage support control

15+ Year Old Account
    Explorable mode, maybe, but story mode is pretty easy if people know the fights, dodge the obvious, get up people that need it asap. I am enjoying them though. After a few weeks of the player base learning all of them, it'll be just as easy as anything else.

The only thing I really don't like that seems common, is the tedium that the dungeons have. The multi-golem fight is a pretty good example of this, the last half of the arah story, as well as most of the "trash" packs. Let's not act like changing the meaning of the "trash packs" is revolutionary, innovative or fun. Even if I'm doing a dungeon on story mode, I want to remember the story, and the dungeon, not the non-bosses or those without speaking parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

The bosses are even more fun, lets take SE, the boss in there that summons the golems is fine and all, until you get to the second golem which heals off conditions (even vulnerability counts) now this would be managable if it werent for the fact the NPC's you have "helping you" apply conditions to the mob essentially making it invulnerable until they die, but dont worry ANet made another way for you to want to leave and just farm professions. It fires ember circles on the ground as well as projectiles that hit you and continue to burn for 30 seconds (high burn damage) these are not avoidable if youve just used your dodges trying to avoid the first 50.
    Actually pretty easy to deal with that golem if u have a rotation of projectile stopping walls set up. im a theif and had another thief in my group and we both used short bows to dodge his big spin attack that shoots all the fire out and other times we would drop a smoke wall when he was about to do it. Not to mention it looked like the mesmer in our group had the same idea and was encasing the golem in a bubble that seemed to block them as well.

As for the healing from conditions yea it sucks but its prolly not that bad if everyone is constantly hitting it and not sitting in downed stat cuz they are too busy dieing rather than DPSing.

I cant speak to every dungeon but ive done most the CM explore paths and those are easy for me now. I know how to pull the packs and what to put on my bar to make things easier. Im sure when i go to other dungeons ill figure out ways to beat those as well.

And as for things 1 shotting u, its good to bring abilitys that can keep mobs from 1 hitting u and when that ability is on cd, try and get as far from them as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    CM explorer made me want to punch myself in the face while wearing brass knuckles. I thought the mechanic where you throw pillows and jump on them to avoid being hit by floor spikes to be interesting though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Actually pretty easy to deal with that golem if u have a rotation of projectile stopping walls set up. im a theif and had another thief in my group and we both used short bows to dodge his big spin attack that shoots all the fire out and other times we would drop a smoke wall when he was about to do it. Not to mention it looked like the mesmer in our group had the same idea and was encasing the golem in a bubble that seemed to block them as well.

As for the healing from conditions yea it sucks but its prolly not that bad if everyone is constantly hitting it and not sitting in downed stat cuz they are too busy dieing rather than DPSing.

I cant speak to every dungeon but ive done most the CM explore paths and those are easy for me now. I know how to pull the packs and what to put on my bar to make things easier. Im sure when i go to other dungeons ill figure out ways to beat those as well.

And as for things 1 shotting u, its good to bring abilitys that can keep mobs from 1 hitting u and when that ability is on cd, try and get as far from them as possible.
    I love that boss, as a guardian I can block 90% of the projectiles from hitting my entire group from that second golem. Fight is a cakewalk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The bosses are even more fun, lets take SE, the boss in there that summons the golems is fine and all, until you get to the second golem which heals off conditions (even vulnerability counts) now this would be managable if it werent for the fact the NPC's you have "helping you" apply conditions to the mob essentially making it invulnerable until they die, but dont worry ANet made another way for you to want to leave and just farm professions. It fires ember circles on the ground as well as projectiles that hit you and continue to burn for 30 seconds (high burn damage) these are not avoidable if youve just used your dodges trying to avoid the first 50.
    That boss is not so bad, I'd be shocked if the NPCs are usually alive by Golem 2. We had a really weird endlessly spawning mob bug on that boss (and in an Explorable on trash too), where the mobs just kept running into the boss room and the NPCs would pull them, we ended up with an endless stream of mining suits, and had to kill that boss in 1/4 of the room so that we didn't pull the bugged out trash and then way point around them. Even with a group of 2 rangers, a condition warrior and an elementalist we managed to not use conditions and killed it whilst avoiding the fire stacked in a tiny area of the room. If the NPCs are causing a bug there just let them die and don't rez them. There are still some things you have to work around in dungeons right now.

Honestly trash is a pain in the ass, some trash mobs are way overtuned, the NPC AI needs so much work (STOP PULLING STUFF YOU NINJA!) and some of the dungeons are extremely buggy, but I don't think I have come across a boss fight where the mechanics were that hard, all the damage is avoidable and none of the tactics are overly complex.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2012-09-09 at 03:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post

- imagine the instance being full of traps and aoe effects that kill you very fast aswell
    - imagine the only way for people in your group to heal themselves is for 30-40% life every 30 secs

I actually used to think like this untill i came to the conclussion that its 100% the same then another mmo dungeon.

1st : Dungeon's are piss easy once you know what to do( also your group)
    2nd : Guardians are pretty much the tank in this game they will allways have the aggro , and elemantist with staff in water aura is pretty much like a druid in wow.
    3rd : Instance full of traps? hardly Ok they are there but its just like any other mmo if you see something bad on the ground you move out...
    4th :You're just a dumbass if you use the heal that actually heals you for x amount , active the seal wich heals you ever i think its 3 seconds its way but way better in every single way and you can still click it to heal yourself if needed.

You might not think like this yet but once you ran dungeons multiple time's and you have a guardian tanker and elemantist with staff and water aura in your group you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

The only thing i really enjoyed was when i got in to a dungeon for the very first time and noone had a clue what to do , this was the part i enjoyed the mosth.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post

Yes, to all of these. But is that a bad thing? In certain cases it is good and engaging in others it is frustrating. Let's try to go point by point.

- imagine doing shattered halls heroic in burning crusade with blue gear - I've felt like that when I went into the dungeon fort he first time when I hit level30. Oh boy, did my face hurt. Dungeons in reality are end game content but available during leveling, sadly it is a two edged sword. You might think that level 30 is high enough to learn the game but you'd be mistaken. When leveling solo you do not understand how the group works, which utility skills are useful and not just increase your damage. Your gear is poorly optimized and you still don't have a full spec and your priority system is still not working properly (at least for more support and control oriented builds, you really need to hit level 60 (tier 3 traits bonuses) for these to even start making any sense). With that in mind you are quite right it's fair comparison. In my opinion people should try dungeons as they level to get the feel for what group play without tank and healer are like and come back to them after they ding 60 and have somewhat workable builds with gear more appropriate for what they are trying to do. Can you really hold it against a game that it doesn't protect people from their own silliness?

- imagine not having a tank and healer - Somewhat discussed in previous point. There are no tanks and healers but it doesn't mean there are no way of managing the fights. Haven't you tried doing dungeons in wow with 5 mages? Or Enhancement Shaman tanking or healing with Maelstrom procs? I know I healed through Hour of Twilight heroics (level 85 heroics 5 man) on Enhancement shaman in T12 gear. The main issue with that statemenet however is people going into the dungeons not knowing what to expect and with builds that don't work yet. For example think of Wow when fury warrior try to tank and healer is shadow priest in shadow form. Yeah. You need workable specs not only have somebody performing a "role". To clarify my example warriors in GW2 can't play support until level 60 cause they don't access (must be traited into 30 points into tactic tree, regen on banners and heals on shouts) to group wide heals and heal over time until that point. Hence if they enter a dungeon as a solo spec, with solo gear, solo utility and solo mind set expecting to be carried by the group they are wrong. I feel that we are not at that level of understanding the game and skill for people to be carried.

- imagine the instance being full of traps and aoe effects that kill you very fast aswell - True, the first time it is a nightmare, but then again first time doing LK is a nightmare if you haven't watched a strat video. Once you actually learn the dungeon and fights most of the things is easily avoid with "raid awareness" and there are quite a few that you have to focus your concentration on to get away from. But how is that different from what we have experienced in WoW? A bit silly and overly simplified example if you not going to push a "save me" button on Ultraxion you are going to have a bad time or if you please think of running Halls of Reflection mans with freshly dinged 80, The trash before the first two bosses is the most challenging bit of that dungeon.

- imagine the only way for people in your group to heal themselves is for 30-40% life every 30 secs - How is different from when somebody else heals your group for 10%-13% life every 3 secs or 5%-7% every 1.5 secs? The only difference is that instead of it being one person job and responsibility it is spread around to everybody.

And you are right, that's exactly how they feel, because as you have accurately noticed, that's what they are like. Whether it is good or bad, something that you like or dislike that's up for you to decide.