Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Does gathering and crafting return too much XP?

I'm thinking it does, I've been able to level up 5 times (each time I do some crafting) with almost no effort at all making cookies and whatnot, I just hit 80 and feel I've barely started in the world wich is good in a sense cause it means I have tons left to see and do, however I do feel it went too fast and the main reason is crafting wich did it so fast it was ridiculous, I think it needs to be toned down a little both gathering and crafting, what do you think?

Levels don't really help you to be honest... you scale down anyways

Deleted
    No.

I'm already having trouble as it is. :s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    No.

I'm already having trouble as it is. :s
    Trouble with leveling up? how can this be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Trouble with leveling up? how can this be?
    I honestly have no idea. I'm level 57 now with about 46% map completion. Had to visit a lot of different areas to get my level going to fit the area my story is in. I'm not even sure. I only leave areas when I'm at 100%, I do every Event that pops up, I harvest every node I can find.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Deleted
    I honestly have no idea. I'm level 57 now with about 46% map completion. Had to visit a lot of different areas to get my level going to fit the area my story is in. I'm not even sure. I only leave areas when I'm at 100%, I do every Event that pops up, I harvest every node I can find.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    You are not alone, im having the same trouble, need to enter a new zone just to be able to level.. :/

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    What I did was do 2 zones of xx-xx (same level area or around it) and it would get me 10 levels, I didn't craft so all my levels were by zones

Soo if i was 40 I would go into a 40-50 and another 40-50. That would get me 10 levels while doing all the dynamic events I run into. Got to 80 with 51% map completion. You're probably doing the low level zones which then you're at fault. It's obvious that it would bring less experience

Quote Originally Posted by Katio View Post
    You are not alone, im having the same trouble, need to enter a new zone just to be able to level.. :/
    Don't skip any events(the ones that are on timers), gather/craft what you can, use xp boosts if you can and who cares if you gotta go to a different zone for a little. Exploring the world they've built for us has been some of the best experiences I've had in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the few crafting proffs ive toyed with I feel cooking and maybe jewelcrafting are the only ones that take too little effort for too much experience...perhaps a slight xp nerf on those 2 proffs but honestly...I'm not too fussed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    I'm thinking it does, I've been able to level up 5 times (each time I do some crafting) with almost no effort at all making cookies and whatnot, I just hit 80 and feel I've barely started in the world wich is good in a sense cause it means I have tons left to see and do, however I do feel it went too fast and the main reason is crafting wich did it so fast it was ridiculous, I think it needs to be toned down a little both gathering and crafting, what do you think?
    According to ArenaNet, it is entirely intentional that you can level up with crafting only. Each crafting profession is designed to give you ten levels if you max it out, so if you go through all eight, you'll get 80 levels. Again, that is by design.

What he means to say, is that now he has hit 80, he wants XP gains from crafting to be scaled back to discourage it so he can corner his respective markets on the trading post, lol. :P

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    I'm at level 74 and I've done 30% of the map. I'm 350 in Leatherworking and 40 in Weaponsmithing. I have done like 5 maps completed at 100% though and I've done my personal story until level 55. Haven't the slightest why you'd be so behind. Do you follow up on all dynamic events? My rule of thumb is if the NPC talks after it is done, there is more to do in about a minute or so for the DE chain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I'm at level 74 and I've done 30% of the map. I'm 350 in Leatherworking and 40 in Weaponsmithing. I have done like 5 maps completed at 100% though and I've done my personal story until level 55. Haven't the slightest why you'd be so behind. Do you follow up on all dynamic events? My rule of thumb is if the NPC talks after it is done, there is more to do in about a minute or so for the DE chain.
    Though I am lacking in professions (Jeweling 140ish, Huntsman 110ish), I doubt that this alone makes 16 levels. :/

Though I am lacking in professions (Jeweling 140ish, Huntsman 110ish), I doubt that this alone makes 16 levels. :/
    Are you just doing your 'races' zone for your specific level? There is 2-3 zones for each level range, you aren't supposed to just stick to one zone for your levels 40-50 or whatever the zone range is, unless you want to grind events.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is said that each discipline grants around 10 levels each.

So in theory you could probably gain those 16 levels by maxing out your disciplines (might need to use a crafting bonus xp booster).

I personally went from 69 to 78 by leveling Jeweling from 38 to 375 (later gained the last level from maxing it).

Conclusion, yes you can, if you want to level that way.

Well the game is designed that level 400 in crafting = level 80 in terms of experience, my guildie just hit 400 cooking, hasn't fought a single monster yet, and is level 80 (at least that's what he said, I'm not 100% sure myself!

So it's just an alternative. If you don't want to kill every unliving thing in the next zone, you can go back to Lion's Arch and craft like no tomorrow instead.

Not at all. It's a step in the right direction in creating alternate ways of levelling.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Not at all. It's a step in the right direction in creating alternate ways of levelling.
    Agreed. If you want to be a hardcore merchant I don't see why the game, by design, shouldn't accommodate that playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moarwin View Post
    What he means to say, is that now he has hit 80, he wants XP gains from crafting to be scaled back to discourage it so he can corner his respective markets on the trading post, lol. :P
    Ye, agree

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    No, I am in the same boat. 100% area completion and my story quests are trying to send me to a new area that is too high level. I am relying on crafting XP now to help me catch up.