Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking of Join Rift

Hi all I been tempted in joining rift. But it very hard to leave my toons in WoW, I just wanna know how hard is it to level?
    since I would like something kind of familiar, and heard rift is very close to WoW. What are the features that rift has the same and what
    are the feature they have different, right now I'm mostly waiting for my annual pass to expire, then chances are I'm leaving WoW.
    Its just kind of boring atm, all I do is sit in Main city and que for instances.

Why not just deactivate your WoW account, give Rift a try for awhile, and go back to WoW if you decide that you'd rather play that instead?

It doesn't have to be a big decision. Just go for it!

wait 18 days till the new expansion launches. it will be great i tell you been on the beta since months and i love it. And if you dont like the pandas no one forces you to play one :P only kids have something agains the pokemon and pandas in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Hi all I been tempted in joining rift. But it very hard to leave my toons in WoW, I just wanna know how hard is it to level?
    since I would like something kind of familiar, and heard rift is very close to WoW. What are the features that rift has the same and what
    are the feature they have different, right now I'm mostly waiting for my annual pass to expire, then chances are I'm leaving WoW.
    Its just kind of boring atm, all I do is sit in Main city and que for instances.
    Leveling in Rift is relatively simple depending on your class. As a Cleric, I'm easily handling 3-4 mobs that are 2 levels higher than me (Vex self-heal, wha?). There are some quests that can be difficult and sometimes the massive invasion events can be a pain. I especially hate when Invaders camp a small area that has quest turn ins. Other than that, it's a lot of fun. I've heard that raiding is better than WoW. Trion actually gives a shit about their product. The new expansion is coming out in a couple months. Huge updates every 6 weeks or so is the norm.

Questing is the same. There's fewer add-ons. The bags and banks work the same. There's plenty of factions to grind rep for. You can adjust your interface and put your shit wherever you want. And I people rarely ever hang out in the big cities. Between dailies, closing rifts, planar invasions, etc. there's plenty to do while you're waiting for a queue pop.

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pilek01 View Post
    wait 18 days till the new expansion launches. it will be great i tell you been on the beta since months and i love it. And if you dont like the pandas no one forces you to play one :P only kids have something agains the pokemon and pandas in wow.
    Maybe he's just tired of WoW overall? I mean, that IS possible.

I'm subbed to both Rift and WoW. I started up my Rift sub again after Blizzard left us hanging with no updates for over 6 months (I really really regret that annual pass). Since I've been back in playing Rift I hardly ever login to WoW. When I do login it's not for long because Rift has kind of ruined the WoW experience for me. It's a matter of opinion I know but I really enjoy Rift much more. I say give it a go. You can probably pick it up on Steam for cheap and get a free 30 days. Also you can give it a run for free with Rift Lite. Stay frosty!

Deleted
    Leveling in rift is not hard, It copies everything from wow and while doing some things better they quality of dungeons and raids is worse than wow.
    Buy the game, play for month and come back to wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    DO IIIIIIIIT. Rift is really an excellent game! There's just so freaking much to do, and with an expansion around the corner, there will be even more lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Leveling in rift is not hard, It copies everything from wow and while doing some things better they quality of dungeons and raids is worse than wow.
    Buy the game, play for month and come back to wow.
    Sorry but this statement is not held by most who have actually given Rift a real chance, I get the feeling you have not. I highly doubt you've been in any raids, or if you have, just the lowest of low Tier 1 raids. Hammerknell and Infernal Dawn are something else.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Hi all I been tempted in joining rift. But it very hard to leave my toons in WoW.
    I thought EXACTLY the same thing when I was about to start RIFT, but the game just completley sucked me in!, After playing RIFT I just didnt have any urge at all to log back on to WoW.

and you know if you'd like somethings to look foward to...

Akylios

Laethys

Sicaron

Hundreds of cool videos and boss fights I could post, these are just a few of my personal favourite :P

Deleted
    Without a doubt, RIFT is the best MMORPG out today.

Why not.... play both?

Doing exactly that, bought the 1year sub with expac included, it's looking far too good!

Deleted
    Rift is an amazing game.

I am subbed to both wow and rift thus i never had the chance to fully focus on rift for the 3 months i am subbed.

The main reason i never did that was the people in wow that i know. I know that rift has wonderfull people as well in the community, i am a member of a social UK guild and the guys are really nice people to hang out with.
    But it is not the same, since i play wow with my wife and my best irl friend.
    I tryed to convince em to give rift a go but in vain.

Now i am setled with the idea of doing it again, as the hype from new wow expansion starts fading, which should probably be around the time that Rift's expnasion will go live.
    Till then i will keep playing both, wow doesnt need some huge commitment to raid, and as i am on old player that knows the tricks and in a raiding guild, i can easily do heroic raids with 10-12 hours weekly commitement at start that will get reduced to 6-8 when i will have all the available gear from valor points and "heroic" dungeons and all my upgrades are inside the raid.
    That leaves another 6-10 hours for rift per week, but raiding in rift is a more serious investment than wow in raid and out of raid. Which is good. I just dont have the time for now, and i am totally fine with it.

I find instant adventures and mentoring concepts relaxing entertaining and renovating.
    I find the more difficult pve environment while leveling more proper to a game.
    I find the raids being tiered in a linear way without master reset each time a tier goes live (only boost to accesibility of previous high end gear) the perfect way for people to feel invested in the game and a reward to the most dedicated of the players.

All in all what i miss in the one game for now i find it in the other. But...
    It is more likely to find ALL i want in Rift as oposed to WoW.

Deleted
    Rift is too freaking good

well at 10 you can do instant adventures which is INSANE exp and loot.

Thanks all, I made up my mind, I am going to join Rift, and just wait out the end of my wow annual pass. It sound like fun. Anyone know whats a good Server/shard (MST)? Class? site to research class?

15+ Year Old Account
    Since it's $5 for the game I joined up last Sunday and having a load of fun. The world isn't as populated as when I did the trial over a year ago but the quests seem to flow along fairly well. Dungeons are interesting but it's nice that queues pop fairly quick. It's the #2 mmo compared to WoW. I don't seem them getting much bigger though unless Wow subs bleed over. The market is saturated right now.

Speaking as a current wow player, I have a cleric and warrior at max level in Rift and enjoyed the leveling experience quite a lot. At max level I joined a raiding guild and got some raids under my belt only then to decide the game wasnt for me.
    If anyone asks if they should give Rift a go I say yes everytime, there is enough content imo to justify buying the game (normally with a free months sub), at least then you can say you tried it
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

The worst thing that can happen from trying rift is that you get addicted.

And many mmo players are okay with that.

I know I am.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I made the decision now to go fulltime to Rift as soon as I get the money again. I've played WoW only around 2 years or so. My reason is basically that Rift feels more polished than WoW; it's like if WoW was made today instead of in 2004. The graphics are outright gorgeous (too video card intense IMO). The content is amazing. Trion puts out more patches than Blizzard could dream of, and they're better quality patches to boot. Storm Legion, the new expansion, looks 100x better than anything Mists of Pandaria could even dream of being. Even the dungeons and raids feel more polished and "feel" a lot better (disclaimer: I've only done one raid and it was very very very easy, everything else is based on videos). The dungeons are faceroll now but not nearly as faceroll as WoW dungeons, and you can't just mindlessly zerg (at least I was not ever able to). The raid progression is VERY much like TBC-era WoW from what I've been told - there's only one difficulty, not three, and you can't just gear up in a week for the latest raid by farming dungeons.

In short, Rift is a modern day WoW, by a company that cares and has a vested interest in keeping the game fresh. Trion has done things Blizzard never would or would "do eventually": The patch next week essentially removes factions. The expansion has player housing. There might very well be normalized PVP soon.

I heartily encourage you to try Rift Lite and see for yourself. On the surface it plays the same as WoW does, but it's much, much smoother (at least it is to me). The gameplay is smoother. The macro system is much smoother (to the point of being able to macro loads of abilities into one macro). There are literally TONS of things to do, so you aren't usually just sitting around in a city.

EDIT: The official forums tend to have a lot of guides and information, there was a site called Bluedots (http://www.bluedots.org) but I think they have stopped playing Rift, there is still up to date information as of right now though but it will be invalidated soon with the pre-expansion patch. Shard I can't speak to but on the US side there seems to be a few heavily populated shards: Wolfsbane, Faeblight (RP), Deepwood, Greybriar, Seastone (PVP) and the rest are basically low pop and may or may not be dying depending on whom you ask.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2012-09-08 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all, I made up my mind, I am going to join Rift, and just wait out the end of my wow annual pass. It sound like fun. Anyone know whats a good Server/shard (MST)? Class? site to research class?
    It helps if you say US or EU as I'm not certain what MST zone falls in. Typically both regions have a various amounts of times people are active. There are several active servers in both regions and at the very least if you don't find a good home in a week server transfers are free on a one week CD and guilds actually recruit in chat cross-shard since that chat ability is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Since it's $5 for the game I joined up last Sunday and having a load of fun. The world isn't as populated as when I did the trial over a year ago but the quests seem to flow along fairly well. Dungeons are interesting but it's nice that queues pop fairly quick. It's the #2 mmo compared to WoW. I don't seem them getting much bigger though unless Wow subs bleed over. The market is saturated right now.
    As you say MMO saturation is defiantly a factor. On that note there's been the release of GW2 and MoP in a couple of weeks. With the release of Rift's expansion everyone playing is starting out on a level play field again come mid November. I'd certainly expect and increase in population since there seems to be a huge amount of content being offered this expansion and the fact that vanilla version of Rift comes with the Xpac at no additional cost will appeal to some players who may not of given the game a try first time around.

The days of an MMO reaching the 12 million player mark are done. WoW the Goliath had all it's ducks in a row with timing and a good product at a good time It's also hard to compete with such brand power like that. One thing as proved while other MMO's threw in the towel Rift has weathered the storm legion (no pun intended) at the critical 1 year mark where other new MMO's just basically threw in the towel. 1 1/2 years later Rift is still going strong and the xpac should only cement it stance even more.

[WARNING - Huge Rift fanboy text incoming]

I a little antidote, I did a conquest last weekend (Rift PvP) and even with GW2 in full steam Rift Conquest was packed. After the match had ended I looked at my DPS meter and it shows friendly and enemy damage done so I locked on to the slider to go to the bottom and it registered 170 players so I'm guessing there was as much as 30 possible healers who may of not done damage I forgot to look at HPS. So basically at the most anticipated time for a PVP type game like GW2 this match still had 200 people battling it out in PVP in close proximity for my DPS meter to catch it. I was a little amazed at that.

I played both WoW and Rift from launch and have no hatred or ill feeling towards WoW and my post history will reflect that. Heck I even play GW2. I have fond memories of WoW but for reasons I'm not going to hammer out I've moved on since Rift to me resembles the development path I use to enjoy in WoW and then some. Rift brings people back into the world again and that is something I've been enjoying since the launch of Rift.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-09-08 at 05:03 AM.