Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    People make it a habit of bashing companies over little things by blowing them more often than not out of proportions. If people then aren't allowed of praising a company over little things as well with equally disproportionate positivism then I'd call it an imbalance in the Force. Once people moderate their negativitism then we may call for a moderation of positivism as well.

That said I agree it's a nice gesture even though I wasn't affected and still would have to pay for the Deluxe edition.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I can't say I'm surprised how this thread quickly devolved...but really?
    Game company X does something bad, makes a mistake, people are unhappy, company does nothing -> company gets shat on for money-grubbing, etc
    Game company Y does something bad, people are unhappy, company compensates players -> company gets shat on for money-grubbing, etc

So...is there anything a game company can do to actually come across good? Or should companies just give up and not even bother, because hell, if people are always going to complain what's the point? Of course, those same people would then complain they have no games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Rofl. Because they are compensating for something that should have been working? That's usually called "standard fare". But yeah, keepin the standards low and being impressed by everything is the trend nowadays I guess.
    Yeah, standards are so fucked up these days, some people are actually glad for getting what they should have to BEGIN WITH.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Because other gaming companies regularly gift customers who deal with issues too, right? How about that Blizzard rewarding people when D3 was barely playable for a while when it launched? Or how the Elite service for CoD was down for months but players weren't compensated by Activision?

If you're going to be bitter about something positive, go do it elsewhere.

I'm glad to see ArenaNet compensating players. Sad to see the mistakes in the first place, but at least they're doing something to make up for it.
    I have gotten between 2 and 3 months of free game time from Blizzard over the years because of outages. This is really nothing new in the online game world. Everquest on the other hand never reimbursed for shit.

Is Anet, NCsoft?
    If so:
    I kind of feel a little bitter that they compensate for Gw2 while shutting down City of Heroes.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Is Anet, NCsoft?
    If so:
    I kind of feel a little bitter that they compensate for Gw2 while shutting down City of Heroes.
    ANet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCsoft...so, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jna View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. From what you wrote, I can deduce: this is really nothing new in the online game world with subscriptions, but it's not a very common practice among the "free to play" online games, right? I still don't know much about MMOs. (besides WoW, i just googled to see if this Everquest was F2P or not). This is an interesting thing to know, thx for the info.
    No its not in my 5 years playing wow i got only 1 free day in wotlk. Its an execption.

Deleted
    Deluxe is pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Because other gaming companies regularly gift customers who deal with issues too, right? How about that Blizzard rewarding people when D3 was barely playable for a while when it launched? Or how the Elite service for CoD was down for months but players weren't compensated by Activision?

If you're going to be bitter about something positive, go do it elsewhere.

I'm glad to see ArenaNet compensating players. Sad to see the mistakes in the first place, but at least they're doing something to make up for it.
    Nice to see a mod mentioned something that could cause a flame war... good job!

Quote Originally Posted by pvrwizard View Post
    I have gotten between 2 and 3 months of free game time from Blizzard over the years because of outages. This is really nothing new in the online game world. Everquest on the other hand never reimbursed for shit.
    I remember EQ1 at least handing out weeks for free if they were down for a day, or days if they were down for hours. Granted this was some time ago, but I remember SoE being pretty awesome about compensating players for the companies mistakes at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Rofl. Because they are compensating for something that should have been working? That's usually called "standard fare". But yeah, keepin the standards low and being impressed by everything is the trend nowadays I guess.
    Good luck telling that to certain other companies. Blizzard doesn't compensate for service outages.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Good luck telling that to certain other companies. Blizzard doesn't compensate for service outages.
    They compensated people not being able to use the headstart. When they compensate normal accounts for service outages then you can compare it with D3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    They compensated people not being able to use the headstart. When they compensate normal accounts for service outages then you can compare it with D3.
    Oh, I'm comparing it to WoW in this case. They don't compensate for service outages, ever. This includes PTR, betas, etc etc.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Oh, I'm comparing it to WoW in this case. They don't compensate for service outages, ever. This includes PTR, betas, etc etc.
    Counted out of curiosity, I have 34 free days given as compensation in WoW.
    The really weird part is you mentioning PTR and betas.
    Last edited by abijax; 2012-09-07 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    Counted out of curiosity, I have 34 free days given as compensation in WoW.
    The really weird part is you mentioning PTR and betas.
    Don't see how. I've never seen them give that sort of compensation.

Oh really? Well they've compensated me for the following:

An error following a patch rendering me unable to even logon to my main toon for 4 weeks. 1 free month added. I phoned them, they saw my dilemma and the fact that I could login and play my other toons just fine and decided on the spot to not only fix this (I still to this day have no idea how they did it) but also giving me a free month. They COULD have said that I had every opportunity to play my other toons (which I did) and just left me hanging.

Error with moving a toon, it went Alliance alright but I was charged twice. They refunded me the extra cost AND gave me a free change to use at any time in my Battle.net balance

I've also been given free race changes/server changes when things have gone wrong with a service, for example moving my toon back for free AND not charging me a second time for moving her to the right account. They could just have said "You chould have been more careful picking the target server and account".

So...whilst they might not compensate for simple things such as problems at launch days and problems affecting the majority of playerbase for a time, they sure as hell do care and compensate the individual when they need it and if they contact them in a civil manner. I know which kind I prefer, really. I expect errors and problems the first weeks of a new online game launching...I wouldn't accept any silly refunds even if offered since I like to show support for my favourite gaming companies and kicking and stomping and screaming that they didn't get it perfect from the start = I wasn't raised that way.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-09-07 at 09:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm. Had honestly never heard of that, before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Oh really? Well they've compensated me for the following:

An error following a patch rendering me unable to even logon to my main toon for 4 weeks. 1 free month added. I phoned them, they saw my dilemma and the fact that I could login and play my other toons just fine and decided on the spot to not only fix this (I still to this day have no idea how they did it) but also giving me a free month. They COULD have said that I had every opportunity to play my other toons (which I did) and just left me hanging.

Error with moving a toon, it went Alliance alright but I was charged twice. They refunded me the extra cost AND gave me a free change to use at any time in my Battle.net balance

I've also been given free race changes/server changes when things have gone wrong with a service, for example moving my toon back for free AND not charging me a second time for moving her to the right account. They could just have said "You chould have been more careful picking the target server and account".

So...whilst they might not compensate for simple things such as problems at launch days and problems affecting the majority of playerbase for a time, they sure as hell do care and compensate the individual when they need it and if they contact them in a civil manner. I know which kind I prefer, really. I expect errors and problems the first weeks of a new online game launching...I wouldn't accept any silly refunds even if offered since I like to show support for my favourite gaming companies and kicking and stomping and screaming that they didn't get it perfect from the start = I wasn't raised that way.
    Problem is you're comparing a btp game for a monthly sub. It is expected for a game you pay monthly for to have above average customer service. Instead of wow, compare gw2 to diablo3, as the poster you quoted did.

Deleted
    Now I wish I had login errors.

Just checked my email and all I got was an email from perfect world telling me to preorder Torchlight 2, despite the fact I have already preordered it.

God damn email.