Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Server population - Sep 25th and after...

What do you guys think - Do we need to be scared of Sep25, launch date of MoP?
    I would really hate if ppl go back, since population on servers looks good and stable now. Most of it I would hate my guild to fall apart.

Any predictions?

Deleted
    Hard to say. I feel - but this might very well be observer error - activity already declined when GW2 launched. From my ingame conversations it seems only people who raid in SWTOR are afraid of MoP, afraid to lose people in their guilds. On the other hand people who goof around in flashpoints, pvp or are still leveling don't care at all. I also encounter quite a few low-levels who just recently picked up the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think so, people that wanted to leave already left.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    What do you guys think - Do we need to be scared of Sep25, launch date of MoP?
    I would really hate if ppl go back, since population on servers looks good and stable now. Most of it I would hate my guild to fall apart.

Any predictions?

We will lose a lot of people.

And then people will reach 80 in gw2, people will realize what MoP really is, and 1.4 will come out.

Also, you don't need to be "scared" of any game coming out. The sw ip practically guarantees that you will have a community. Even if they merge down to 1 pvp and 1 pve server, I wouldn't give a damn. Hell, I would really... REALLY like it if they merged the two east coast servers.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't play swtor, but really 1 full server is enough to really enjoy any game
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    We have a lot of MMO's out atm, and the 3 bigs are WoW, Sw:Tor and gw2. But WoW its out since 2004, ofc he have more subs than Sw:Tor and gw2.
    Now, remember one thing, WoW is who lost players to Sw:Tor and gw2
    Last edited by mmoc03b6040c40; 2012-09-07 at 03:49 PM.

every game release affects player activity in swtor (and any other game).
    the question is how strongly. belive it or not, mass effect 3 killed my first guild. our last raid was before it release, 1 week after you never saw more than 3 people online at the same time (down from 15-20). people get distracted and look for other stuff. and I am sure other MMOs, especially big ones like GW2 and MOP will have a significant impact on SWTORs active player base. the question is how many will return? surely not 100%. but there are new player, too, every day. especialy when it goes f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    We have a lot of MMO's out atm, and the 3 bigs are WoW, Sw:Tor and gw2. But WoW its out since 2004, ofc he have more subs that Sw:Tor and gw2.
    Tor never taken any players away from WoW, the numbers for Q1, which is the only numbers you should compair to wow and swtor, was that wow stayed at 10.2 million and Tor lost 400k, WoW then lost 1.1 millions subs and Tors dropped between 500k - 1m (i think close to 500k, seeing as free to play is happening) and GW2 wasnt even out then.

the only time you can say GW2 has taken subs away from WoW is in the next numbers call, untill then you just dont know, also i cant see that happening as MoP goes live before that call so i theory WoW's sub numbers should go up. I dont think you will see a nother statment from EA about sub numbers anymore, other than we are stable ect ect or we lost a few but nothing to worrie about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    We have a lot of MMO's out atm, and the 3 bigs are WoW, Sw:Tor and gw2. But WoW its out since 2004, ofc he have more subs that Sw:Tor and gw2.
    Don't under estimate Rift either. I for one dropped my Swtor sub for Rift and I'm sure others have to. GW2 "may" lure PvPers away but rift can do the same for PVEers. They have a huge expansion on the horizon. I'm currently playing GW2 atm too and I honestly don't see it having a long-term huge effect to any MMO that puts a good focus on PVE, PvP maybe the jury is still out on that one for many. All this is just my opinion so don't hate.

One of the exit reasons for swtor was to leave for another game and Rift was an option. I was not one of the supposed 40% who said subs sux I don't mind a sub if the devolper delivers.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of misconceptions and arbitrary opinions in such a short thread.

Yes, it's going to affect SWTOR. GW2 has already very much affected SWTOR. No, people who are going to leave haven't all left. There are lots of people, like me, who love the game, but don't have time for everything. I am playing GW2, though I have no interest in the PVP, and I will be playing Mists.

I am one of the people who doesn't want to leave, but will during the time I'm otherwise occupied. I do plan on playing the game again as soon as I can, but I will not be paying for it in the meantime. I think the population of people like me is greater than anyone wants to give credit for. Liking a game and wanting to play a game are not enough when faced with a choice between stale content and new games.

If they had more content at this point, I would reconsider. Since the latest game release, I have only logged on to raid Denova. And even then, I've put myself as backup status so I don't have to as much.

You also have to consider all those people that quit WoW and then tried SWTOR and quit that also. Me and a few mates fall into this category. We just got bored of MMO's in general, so none of us bothered with GW2 and we won't bother getting MoP either.

A mate summed it up the other week. He mentioned that his interest in MMO's was killed by playing WoW for 5 years and has no interest in playing a MMO again, me, I'm just bored of the current state of gaming in the PC market, ie. half-finished and bug ridden betas of supposedly finished games aimed at the lowest common denominator casual players, with lacklustre gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Lots of misconceptions and arbitrary opinions in such a short thread.

Yes, it's going to affect SWTOR. GW2 has already very much affected SWTOR. No, people who are going to leave haven't all left. There are lots of people, like me, who love the game, but don't have time for everything. I am playing GW2, though I have no interest in the PVP, and I will be playing Mists.

I am one of the people who doesn't want to leave, but will during the time I'm otherwise occupied. I do plan on playing the game again as soon as I can, but I will not be paying for it in the meantime. I think the population of people like me is greater than anyone wants to give credit for. Liking a game and wanting to play a game are not enough when faced with a choice between stale content and new games.

If they had more content at this point, I would reconsider. Since the latest game release, I have only logged on to raid Denova. And even then, I've put myself as backup status so I don't have to as much.
    This is the main issue i think for most swtor players at this point.

What is swtors focus?

Pve? rift does it better.

Fluff? It has less than any other mmo.

Pvp? Its pvp is pretty good. (hell, I like it more than any other mmo) But it just pushed back season 1. Also, their pvp is 8 player... Only. There are no small scale pvp options. When guilds are constantly being broken up its really hard to make an 8 man team out of your friends list. Furthermore, due to the difficulty of making an 8 man team usually means that you have to form 2 teams because you need someone to queue against. The few times I've been able to get my friends to actually do ranked, (they hate playing with pugs but have rejected everyone I've tried to add to the guild), I had to help the other team organize so we could queue... On fatman. That's pretty messed up. If pvp was like 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, 8v8, 16v16 we could really have something. Especially in the smaller brackets. I could more easily organize a 2v2 between friends or even 3v3 IF I HAD TOO. But the thing is, with those other options I bet more people would be active in ranked.

and it looks like swtor won't be really doing much until nov/dec/jan.

So I guess I'm just going to have to keep prodding my friends to do ranked and raids...

Deleted
    well it is kind of expected right, but it should settle down again just give it a month if people don't like it they'll be back seen that happen in wow and other games also

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you HK-51. I still like SWTOR, but I play for 2 things: Story and PvP. I much prefer the leveling experience to any other MMO out there, including GW2. The dialogue options give me the illusion that I am making choices, the storylines are complex and compelling, and the voice acting is unparalleled. The problem is that you can only level so many character before the novelty wears off. I'm on the 2nd to last class. At 50, I don't think there is enough to continue to warrant my sub outside of PvP.

From a PvP perspective, they have surprisingly got a lot of things I prefer. The only thing lacking is Gear Normalization and/or cosmetic upgrades. I prefer to play the game for fun, not play it to gear up so that I can then start to have fun. The one thing SWTOR absolutely nails down is its variety in PvP. All the maps are unique with unique objectives. My big gripe about GW2 PvP is that its Capture & Control on every map. Meanwhile, SWTOR introduces unique mechanics into each map that makes it really fun to me. And I know not everyone feels this way, but I love Huttball. I never get tired of it, even when I played it almost exclusively all day.

Every new AAA game entices some folks to switch and try it. The real question is, after the romance is over at the new game, do they come back here? Or move on to the next new thing?

Until we get to 350k (and we may not have long to wait), I take these sunny "they'll come back" predictions with a grain of salt.

Still experimenting...

15+ Year Old Account
    i gave up on swtor couldnt keep doing denova till something new comes out so as much as i wanted to fight it i went back to wow and will probably stay till something better comes along highly disappointed in SWTOR i bought into the hype and it massively failed

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently we are getting 9 new raid bosses 'soon'. As for GW2 "hurting the playerbase", I noticed fleet was a lot smaller when Gw2 released, however, its back to its regular size now. GW2 had the lasting affect of D3. It was something that was great for a few weeks but after that it lost its appeal to those who were playing SWTOR.

Like someone has already said, those who wanted to leave have most likely already left (of course there are a few exceptions). I don't think MoP will hurt the playerbase all that much. If anything, I feel MoP will bring more players back to SWTOR if there are any unsatisfactory results.

Honestly, population isn't the problem. If you had like 350,000 players... You could find 7 other people.

I feel like the problem is that people just don't do stuff. Its such a pain to get people to stop standing in fleet and go do stuff. Or, when they do want to do stuff, its all like... entry level stuff.

STUFF.

Do it.

Ugh.

My in-laws are coming into town tonight. Can you tell?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntha View Post
    Tor never taken any players away from WoW...
    Wrong! How could u say that ? You know the reasons of all players ? I think not..
    I changed WoW by Sw:Tor in Dec 2011 and i dont gonna back to WoW anymore, played too many years WoW and cant play anymore..WoW became very easy and childish for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Honestly, population isn't the problem. If you had like 350,000 players... You could find 7 other people.

I feel like the problem is that people just don't do stuff. Its such a pain to get people to stop standing in fleet and go do stuff. Or, when they do want to do stuff, its all like... entry level stuff.

STUFF.

Do it.

Ugh.

My in-laws are coming into town tonight. Can you tell?
    Haha! I actually love my in-laws

Ontopic: I agree. People just sit around complaining there is nothing to do instead of going out and doing things.