Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Someone who is frequently running Flashpoints or Warzones, if you could save your decisions to not have to choose again would make it more fluid. Also if you could disable some cinematics (like in warzones... I know spacebar is easy to press but even this gets on your nerves after hundreds of warzones) or all for that matter. It's not that I don't like them but there is a point at which they become annoying, at least for me.

The voice-over work in Guild Wars 2 is passable at best and usually a constant annoyance in populated areas.

This is made worse by the excruciating American accents of the voice actors. They obviously haven't been taught to adopt a neutral 'TV accent' and all I can hear in Divinity's Reach is whiny, nasal braying.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

Still love swtor, I really hope they can push past things and add more to the game. Really want to see the game rise above others. =)

If I don't want voice overs, I'll go play WoW or Tera, or even Rift. I have NO interest in GW2, but only because of the lack of care in security, the vids seem ok. What you are asking for is basically like WoW, where there is a cutscene every now and then ... such as Wrathgate.

When I play SWTOR, I EXPECT -everything- to be voiced over ... because let me tell you, from day one, my money obviously didn't help with customer support and bugs.

My wife and I are considering coming back to SWTOR right now, simply because the questing gives the illusion of greater involvement, and I actually pay attention to the quest, and choose my alignment ... instead of just racing around spam clicking new quests, then just looking at the map to see where to go and race back to turn it in.

If you want this to be a different game, and you have an example of the game you like ... why not just play that game and appreciate it, and then, play this game and appreciate it. They don't need to be, and -shouldn't- be the same.

Again, my wife and I are considering resubbing, simply because we felt more engaged in the questing from the VOs. This is in contrast to Tera, where we enjoyed questing because of the environment and playstyle, it doesn't need the rest of it ... but with the SW IP, it makes sense that it is, the way it is.

My real gripe is that EA is involved. They are the epitome of what is wrong with the gaming industry. If I could create a hit, I wouldn't sell them shit for all the money in the world ... because they destroy EVERYTHING you love and cherish. They are a disease, and I wish they'd go out of business. I'd rather Trion take over the SW game and allow BioWare to develop it how they originally intended.

I'm waiting for my wife to decide whether we are coming back to SW for some time, playing MoP (undecided, both tired of the treadmill), all while we play Tera. Rift was beautiful, but didn't break the mold enough for us, for whatever reason (she is tempted to become too 'hardcore' and doesn't want to play like that any longer). Our biggest gripe with SW is, the customer service. I literally had a game breaking bug the last time I was subbed, and was told 'working as intended'; if something is impossible, something I did 100x before a patch, no, it is not 'intended'. This was after weeks of it being on a ticket.

So, no, don't take away the voice acting. That would be one less reason for us to give a shit about the game. I actually liked it, but you can't piss on your customers and expect them stay, especially if you start taking parts of the core reasons that make the game different and better. The VO IS SWTOR. All the other games have quest text. All the other games have pvp and pve. The IP and the VO are its shining features.

Now, if you are tired of watching cutscenes, I agree there should be an option to 'skip to decision' for the whole party, IF the whole party agrees at the start of the run/questing; as long as they saw it first. Think, CoT: Stratholme/Trial of Champion RP skip, only if you've done it before ... so new players aren't made to skip everything because of impatient selfish children, who can't appreciate not everyone needs to blast through a game to be bored and complain. But, if say, my wife and I are going to run something together we've done tons already, yes, we should be able to skip the dialogue, even the alignment options, if we so choose.

The ability to skip, if everyone has been through it before, is a major QoL issue, but removing half the VOs because you can't be arsed to hit space bar, less times than you do writing an average length sentence ... then maybe you need to take a break for a few weeks and come back. When my wife and I get sick of a game, we take a break, we don't try to mold the game around us, because, we usually like the game, but might be playing it too much, and getting away for a while helps a ton.

I really wish EA would die, and all the companies and IPs it has destroy could be resurrected. Greedy bastards. SWTOR could've been so much more.
    Last edited by zeropeorth; 2012-09-21 at 04:22 PM.

Pretty sure there is a big difference in VO budget between SWTOR and GW2. I prefer GW2, since I don't really "care" why I have to pick up 10 root plants, for some random guy I'll never meet again, for whatever random company he represents, that doesn't exist in the game. Even the dialog between characters seem more interesting with the colourfull background, instead of a lifeless world.

I do have complaints about GW2 VO aswell, especially Male Human and the well known lines: "EAT MY DUST!!!", "STRROOWWNG" and many more.

But those lines are still NOTHING... NOTHING! When I think about Huttball and that commentator.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My strength, INCREEEAASES.

If my character says this one more time when they have not just gained a level, I'm going to make my warrior jump into the abyss and never return. Otherwise, I like a lot of their witty 'one liners'. My wife's ranger is constantly making me laugh by talking about how awesome she is.

edit: completely forgot this was a SWTOR thread. That's probably not a good sign. lol.

As a random SWTOR blurb, god I love raiding in this game. It's a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    My strength, INCREEEAASES.

If my character says this one more time when they have not just gained a level, I'm going to make my warrior jump into the abyss and never return. Otherwise, I like a lot of their witty 'one liners'. My wife's ranger is constantly making me laugh by talking about how awesome she is.

edit: completely forgot this was a SWTOR thread. That's probably not a good sign. lol.

As a random SWTOR blurb, god I love raiding in this game. It's a blast.
    For me it's the "Adrenaline RISING!" when you hit around 80% adrenaline... even if you hit that 80% by descending from 100 or 90...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sd78 View Post
    The voice-over work in Guild Wars 2 is passable at best and usually a constant annoyance in populated areas.

This is made worse by the excruciating American accents of the voice actors. They obviously haven't been taught to adopt a neutral 'TV accent' and all I can hear in Divinity's Reach is whiny, nasal braying.
    At launch, Divinity Reach also had music that was 99% the same as one of the Star Wars movies. I'm trying to think of the exact moment... my Guild Master brought it up when GW2 launched and we all ran to DR just to hear the sound-alike. No idea why I found that humorous, but I did.

I never got tired of the conversations. It's only when It repeated the same exact side quest with NPC that made it less compelling. The class quest was completely new and interesting. The only reason I grinded so many of my ALT's to see what would happen next in the class quest. I like the interactive features of choosing where to go. It's on a separate issue a little sad GW2 runs so well and TOR consumes so much space and runs hot on my machine.

Considering GW2 did not have 200 million dollar budget to work with.

I actually like the way Swtor did their voiceovers. Since you could choose what you wanted your character to say it made it feel really awesome. I think Gw2 does a pretty decent job with the voiceovers aswell but not as good as Swtor.

I do think there is a balance that they need to strike to make it feel epic all around and not a waste of time.

L-learn from gw2 about the use of VO work?

The "story" scenes were absolutely HORRIBLE in gw2, the acting,t he plot and the whole presentation was almost as bad as it is in Tera.
    It's such a ridiculous statement that i just don't have the arguments to counter that.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not, lets have more games with SW:TOR's amazing story and great voice acting rather than what GW2 did. You should have known when buying a motherfucking BioWare game that this is how the story would be presented, and therefore you should have expected not to like it.

It can't be a bioware game, I didn't wake up with amnesia!

Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    Lets not, lets have more games with SW:TOR's amazing story and great voice acting rather than what GW2 did. You should have known when buying a motherfucking BioWare game that this is how the story would be presented, and therefore you should have expected not to like it.
    Saying TOR voice acting is great is a bit of a stretch. It's the volume that makes it noticable, not the quality. At least I have seen better quality VO even in MMOs. GW2 VO is not great either though.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.