10+ Year Old Account

Quick mind spike question

So in my shadow spec I picked up From the Darkness Comes Light to get some use out of Mind Spike and I had a simple question. Say Dark Surge procs while I'm casting Mind Flay (which is most of the time.) Is it better to finish the Mind Flay and then cast Mind Spike, or interrupt the cast, cast the spike and go back to flay?
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    for pvp depends on the situation, for pve I would assume most cases wait after mindflay

Basically there's no difference in where you interrupt a Mind Flay, but you shouldn't ever just let it finish on its own. It doesn't end with a gcd so it's dead time between one ending and you casting the new one. We ideally refresh it between the last two ticks, for mana efficiency, but you can refresh back to back Mind Flay casts after the 1st or 2nd tick also for the same damage output. Trick is in knowing where the ticks are happening. Gnosis cast-bar is a big help.

So if you have 2 Surges stored you'll want to cast immediately (after the next flay dmg tick), else it doesn't matter in regards to Mind Flay. You'll need to weave it in between dot refreshing and the Mind Blast cooldown (or upcoming movement, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy can answer all of your questions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuX7y1WVow
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Deleted
    This guy can answer all of your questions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuX7y1WVow
    Certainly answers the question of what teenagers are doing instead of revising for exams.

More seriously, yes, just interrupt Mind Flay for Mind Spike. I use Quartz which tells you the ticks in your Mind Flay so you can interrupt the cast at a more optimal time. Unless you have two charges, remember to hold on to a charge so you can use it close enough to a Mind Blast cast for it to benefit from the reduced cast time. Holding onto a charge is also useful for dealing with movement in an encounter.

kinda amazing
    just 2 days ago I got my priest to 85 and did some dungeons and raid finder and was wondering the exact same thing (plus same question for mind blast procs and getting off CD, I assume same answer? interrupt mind flay to cast it)

also if i may, don't want to created another thread just for it
    SW: D
    do i cast it twice in a row to trigger the (iirc) 8s CD, or just once and then wait 6s?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    kinda amazing
    do i cast it twice in a row to trigger the (iirc) 8s CD, or just once and then wait 6s?
    Just cast it twice in a row

For PvE, if you have enough time to finish Mindflay and 1 free gcd to cast Spike, then finish it and cast Spike. If there's 1 second cd on Minblast/SWD or dots need to be refreshed in 1 second, then cast Spike ASAP. If there's less then 1 sec, then finish MF, reapply dots or cast MB/SWD, then cast Spike. There's nothing bad in delaying proc assuming you only have 1 stack of Surge of Darkness. It lets you to fit Spike in your rotation right when you have a free gcd. Sometimes it's worth to save 1-2 Surge procs if you know you are going to run or you're going to be knocked by the boss. Like Morchok crystals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    kinda amazing
    just 2 days ago I got my priest to 85 and did some dungeons and raid finder and was wondering the exact same thing (plus same question for mind blast procs and getting off CD, I assume same answer? interrupt mind flay to cast it)

also if i may, don't want to created another thread just for it
    You'd need to cast it exactly once every 6-7 seconds, otherwise back-to-back will be better.
    {[( )]}