$80m fortune seized by the Government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1862151.html

So America never proved the coins were stolen or were stolen at one point, but they seized them and, well... Family gets nothing.

Deleted
    That's why you sell this kind of stuff on the black market/private collectors so the government will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1862151.html

So America never proved the coins were stolen or were stolen at one point, but they seized them and, well... Family gets nothing.
    Im pretty sure i just heard in the video that the family gets half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only in Am...

Oh fuck it whats the use

Judge Says
    It will be appealed, and they'll win, since there's a legal precedent on their side. 'America' didn't seize it, the people handling the coins at the Philadelphia Mint decided to seize it and fight for it in court, which of course, is a mistake.

To be fair it seems the only way the family could have gottten the coins originally was by illegal means as they were never released to the public...

But yeah, I would be gutted to have my seeming good fortune taken away like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Let me get this correct...despite the government being unable to prove intent and that the coins were actually stolen in the first place, they seized them anyways?

Sheesh.
    Their reasoning is that it has never been released to the public, so they couldn't possibly be obtained in a legal manner.

Or at least, that's what they say.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Life View Post
    Im pretty sure i just heard in the video that the family gets half.
    Wasn't that just a comparison with a similar case?
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

10+ Year Old Account
    I see the point of them getting seized. Currency is government property. In ANY country. So in this case, don't put hate on the USA. Every other country would do the same.
    The $80 Million is a fictional number, based on the coin that sold for $7.5 mio in an auction. But that 7.5 mio is based on the fact that there are only 2 coins existed, legally.
    11 more coins will bring the price down. Practically the coins are exactly worth their weight in gold. That's not remotely close to just one million. Not even 100 thousand.
    Currency never released to the public in circulation got there illegally, hence subject to confiscation. It is actually a felony to possess and circulate illegal currency.
    Gotta watch your Pwn Stars. They had such stuff offered and advised the seller to turn it in with the government, due to the law requirements.

While I am appaled at the goverment handling of this I believe for any of those particular coins to be in private possesion they had to have been taken illegally. The coin was recalled by the goverment and it was acutally illegal to own gold for a long period of time in the U.S.. So the possesion of these coins would have been illegal for the majority of the time this family was in possession of them, thus why they were hidden for so long.,

Deleted
    Biggest thief is the government itself...