Thread: Disc DPS

Disc DPS

Anyone else having as much a blast as I am running jizzing giant ass spermies on noobs? Penance seriously hits like a truck. I've played shadow my entire 7 years as a priest and I've always wanted a smite dps spec to do actual respectable damage. I'm going to miss it come MoP, I really hope it stays as strong as it is now though.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

disc priests going into dungeons as heals and pulling more dps than the dps while keeping tank up. Low lvl bg's are hell because of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    I've played shadow my entire 7 years as a priest and I've always wanted a smite dps spec to do actual respectable damage.
    Even before 5.0.4, Discipline DPS was respectable - considering that we're healers not DPS'ers! It is far, far higher now but maintaining it is much harder due to the increased mana costs associated with atonement healing.

Deleted
    I've finished first on ultraxion in LFR with 25-30k dps as a disc priest in 5.0.4. Shit is pretty funny, it's a shame we won't be able to maintain that level of damage, because once we hit 90 mana gets really tight and as a result smite becomes pretty much no-go as a filler.

Completely love it. I'm topping dps in Cata heroics while doing 20+k hps. It's amazing.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LordMonkfish View Post
    Even before 5.0.4, Discipline DPS was respectable - considering that we're healers not DPS'ers! It is far, far higher now but maintaining it is much harder due to the increased mana costs associated with atonement healing.
    Increased mana cost? Smite is our cheapest spell, holy fire is cheap and penance is cheap. I find myself lasting much longer atonement healing compared to standard healing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohleemar View Post
    Completely love it. I'm topping dps in Cata heroics while doing 20+k hps. It's amazing.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 11:07 PM ----------

Increased mana cost? Smite is our cheapest spell, holy fire is cheap and penance is cheap. I find myself lasting much longer atonement healing compared to standard healing.
    It is not the cost that is increased really, so much as the lack of longevity from weaker gear and lower base mp5(relatively speaking). It feels like you are not really going through mana while using atonement because you are not really doing much healing. The only thing going for Smite is that with 5x Evangelism and the Smite glyph it has better spellpower scaling than Heal, takes 1.5s instead of 2.5s, but it has a much lower base output than Heal, so it will really depend on how high our spellpower goes if this becomes decent.

It is not the worst filler in the world to quickly stack Evangelism for Archangel right before a period of higher damage when Spirit Shell is on cooldown. Most of the time though you will be able to have Evangelism stacked using only Penance and Holy Fire, which are more efficient, if you stay on top of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    i've only just hit 85 with my priest, so haven't quite got into heroics/raids yet, but 5 mans i can generally heal using just atonement, and while leveling since 5.0.4 not once was i beat on damage meters, now i'm 85 i've been grouped with pro geared dps who beat me, but equally geared guys are still breathing my fumes, makes for a lot of fun and faster runs ^_^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohleemar View Post
    Simply put, if you compare how quickly our mana depleted before the patch using atonement heal spamming, compared to now, our mana is suffering a lot more. I shouldn't have said increased mana cost, but lessened mana regen! Atonement, currently, whilst very good, isn't the mama-conservative filler it felt like before.

Deleted
    Don't forget Solace as well for damage... Mmhmmm. dat solace.

Well looks like thanks to the influx of FotM rerollers picking up a priest and the massive ammounts of QQ, Penance finally got the Holy Shock treatment (unannounced, hotfix which cut it's damage in half)

Yay blizzard!
    Priest Warrior

I had planned on running Ring of Blood solo on my Priest. I wish I would have stayed up and done it last night instead of trying today. Penance does about 30% of the damage it used to. This is the only place I've seen it mentioned. Man did it suck realizing what happened. At least repairs are cheap at that level.

I was having a ton of fun leveling as Disc, it felt very OP - great questing experience.

There's been a couple of posts about it on the WoW forums usually followed by Hunters and Rogues gloating saying things like "Good now you actually have to try and compete!"

Oh the irony, it would be so funny if it wasn't so true, sadly.
    Priest Warrior

Well, I feel a lot more balanced walking around Nagrand now. I knew it was too good to be true.