Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

It is best Pay to Win Game...

So lets say I am rich in my real life. I buy lots of gems and make them gold legal.

Create character, after the tutorial I head into the city as level 2. Now
    1)Buy materials from trading post and raise crafting professions to 400 and become 80 level.
    2)Craft the very best armor available with my crafting Disciplines
    3)Create a guild and buy 10000000 affection with my gold

I have a level 80 character
    full all crafting Disciplines
    The best gear available
    150 Slots Guild bank
    T3 Cultural Armor for cosmetic
    And ALL of these http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence

What am I missing? I can do all this in a day without even step out of the city, without even kill a single mob, a critter...I have played other F2P games, Lotro and now Aion(I have played also before :P) and I can say that nothing is even near to what you can do in GW2 with real money. You are going to eat the carrot my friends in a day if you have the money, in months if you don't

This is not a discussion if the game is fun or not..It is fun and awesome game and I love it. But I remember lots of discussions before the game release that said the game is not pay to win, that Anet handled the original GW shop very good, blah blah..And I thought that Lotro was pay to win...

Do you think that the amount of things you can do with gold are way too much?Do you think that this will make people find efficient ways to farm golds by camping events instead of actually "play the game" for fun? Do you think this will bring lots of bots and gold sellers into the game? I have already got lot of in-game mails from gold sellers in the half price at least from the "legal" seller.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what have you achieved? A level 80 character that you've never played. You don't know the nuances of the profession, you probably didn't have fun reaching level 80 and you're still not more powerful than anyone else, you just got there faster.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you have lots of money in real life you can accomplish a lot more in less time, and you would need a ton of RL money for a car with full lvl 80 armor wich has not a lot of skill points

Deleted
    Congratulations, you won the game. I bet you had tons of fun doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of $$$ for gems.

Do it, I don't care.
    You won't be affecting anyones gameplay.
    There is no Arenas like in WoW, or PvE scoreboards.
    So if that type of stuff doesn't exist, I don't give one damn if you can buy your way to the end game.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have a problem with it if there was anything you could get in game using real money that you couldn't get by just playing the game. Is it possible for someone to do just as you said and achieve everything in 1 day that will take me months (if ever) to accomplish? Yeah, it seems so. Does it bother me at all? No, not one bit.

You do realize in Pay To Win model you need to get an advantage , right? Anybody who goes into hearts of the mist is automatically max level and get all of the best gear and skills unlocked. Getting everything in PvE is nice I guess, and...? You still get scaled down to level 5 when you step through that gate and you are as likely to die to 2 mobs as the guy next to you who doesn't have any experience playing.

...That's not how Pay to Win works.

Pay to Win requires you gaining a power advantage (read-not a speed one) via real money purchase. Guild Wars 2 has nothing of this sort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure you could do that but it won't make you any more "powerful" than anyone else, it will in fact leave you weaker than someone who has played the game the way it's meant to be played.

You won't have explored the map so you won't have any skill points to spend, therefore you won't have the utility other players have access to.
    If you've only done the tutorial you won't have unlocked all the weapon skills.
    As said above you won't know the class well, weapon swapping in different situations or which utility to use etc.
    You won't have the best gear available because that doesn't come from crafting.
    The list goes on...

In short you would have paid a ton of cash just to get something faster than other people but still end up "weaker" than they are while still not having access to something they don't have access to.
    Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Deleted
    I get the impression not all the above posters got as far as you last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Do you think that the amount of things you can do with gold are way too much?Do you think that this will make people find efficient ways to farm golds by camping events instead of actually "play the game" for fun? Do you think this will bring lots of bots and gold sellers into the game? I have already got lot of in-game mails from gold sellers in the half price at least from the "legal" seller.
    Have you worked out how much it would cost yet? I know you said if you were rich but most wouldn't be so would interesting to find out how much to instantly win the game.

It does sound like you can do way too much just buy having real world currency from your list of purchases.

And as for the farming, if the gold sellers are already advertising, I would say they are already at work camping the best spots.

This would just be a stupid investment of money. I had like 1200 gems and it was only
    Going too translate into about 1 gold. I'll let you do the math.

Deleted
    You wouldn't hurt other players.

The only advantage you have is that you achieved all that faster. You have no advantages over anyone so no, it's not pay to win.

well if all that matters to you guys is spvp then ok. Also never said I would enjoy to do this or I would do it if I had the money, I am talking about the value you get with gold..I care less for pvp...

WvW Fort +10% Experience
    WvW Fort +5 Supply
    WvW Fort +40 Power
    WvW Fort +40 Toughness
    WvW Fort +40 Vitality
    WvW Fort +40 Precision
    blueprints

Do you realize that in this game you can do everything with gold? The fact that I have to farm days for fine crafting materials to skill up my Discipline and make some good armor while someone can simple buy it isn't an advantage? If you bought this game only for spvp and tournaments then ok. I don't know any other game that I can do all these will gold and also can buy gold "legal". You can raise your shield and defend GW2, but the truth is that the amount of things you can do just with gold in GW2 not even the 20% of these you can do in other well known MMOs.

also speed = advantage. In all MMOs you start from a and want to go to z. In wow you raid to get full raid gear. In all MMOs "time" is the number 1 factor. Everything you do just needs time. Is it anything you cannot achieve? The major difference is that skill players do things faster, get things first. Everyone can clear a raid..some people do it in the first week, some others in second, other takes months. So I don't exactly understand the "you just do things faster".

Anyway, I didn't asked to make a psychological profile for the person who will buy gold or how much he will enjoy the game. The point is anything I can achieve in the game with time and skill, someone can achieve it with gold. I don't care how much he will enjoy it. It reminds me the discussions for single player games cheats.

person A: This cheat do this and this
    person B: Don't use cheats, is not fun..why don't you just play the game m8?

BOTH people are right. Person B is right, but person A is right too cause there is a cheat you can use in the game
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Congratulations. You bought a game, then paid more money to skip it. P2W is supposed give you a distinct advantage over other people. Since PvP gear is set in stone, WvW isn't a balanced gamemode and you can't screw anyone over in PvE, instead of P2W-induced hatred and envy you'll be pitied at best.

I don't think that qualifies as P2W.

10+ Year Old Account
    congratulations... you blew all your money to be the same as everyone else. Ultimately you may get there faster but pst...hardcore gamers hit 80 within 3-4 days legitimately.

I don't think you understand what Pay-to-Win means. You are not more powerful than other players because you spent real money. So what exactly did you achieve? You know, other than spending a whole bunch of real money to max out a character by not having played the game, and therefore not having enjoyed the game. You are on the same footing as every other player who didn't spend any amount of money. Bet you feel great, huh?

Deleted
    3)Create a guild and buy 10000000 affection with my gold
    I don't think that houses of negotiable affection are in GW2.

I don't consider buying your way to 80 "eating the carrot" (I hate that saying fyi). Why buy a game if you're gonna skip everything up until max level? Sure you can go back and get downscaled, but...meh, you'll still have the gear making it easier.

well if all that matters to you guys is spvp then ok. Also never said I would enjoy to do this or I would do it if I had the money, I am talking about the value you get with gold..I care less for pvp...

WvW Fort +10% Experience
    WvW Fort +5 Supply
    WvW Fort +40 Power
    WvW Fort +40 Toughness
    WvW Fort +40 Vitality
    WvW Fort +40 Precision
    blueprints

Do you realize that in this game you can do everything with gold? The fact that I have to farm days for fine crafting materials to skill up my Discipline and make some good armor while someone can simple buy it isn't an advantage? If you bought this game only for spvp and tournaments then ok. I don't know any other game that I can do all these will gold and also can buy gold "legal". You can raise your shield and defend GW2, but the truth is that the amount of things you can do just with gold in GW2 not even the 20% of these you can do in other well known MMOs.

also speed = advantage. In all MMOs you start from a and want to go to z. In wow you raid to get full raid gear. In all MMOs "time" is the number 1 factor. Everything you do just needs time. Is it anything you cannot achieve? The major difference is that skill players do things faster, get things first. Everyone can clear a raid..some people do it in the first week, some others in second, other takes months. So I don't exactly understand the "you just do things faster".

Anyway, I didn't asked to make a psychological profile for the person who will buy gold or how much he will enjoy the game. The point is anything I can achieve in the game with time and skill, someone can achieve it with gold. I don't care how much he will enjoy it. It reminds me the discussions for single player games cheats.

person A: This cheat do this and this
    person B: Don't use cheats, is not fun..why don't you just play the game m8?

BOTH people are right. Person B is right, but person A is right too cause there is a cheat you can use in the game
    +10% Experience - Like we just said, you just get there faster, getting to lvl 80 2 hours before the second guy doesn't change anything.
    +5 supply - Wow, what a huge advantage! /sarcasm
    +40 boons - Those boons would matter if everyone wasn't scaled to 80. +40 of any of those won't help you more then about 1-2% in combat?
    Blueprints - They don't cost a lot and the ones needed to take down a keep are usually cheap.

These are for WvW. According to you i can do everything with gold. Can i faceroll through dungeons? Can i be more superior then the next guy? Can i buy stats that are really op for my lvl?

This game wasn't made for you to rush to 80. This isn't WoW. Go ahead, lvl to 80 in a couple of hours, then come back and tell me how many epic world bossses you fought, then come back and tell me about all those epic jumping puzzles you made and all those vistas you viewed.