Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Weightloss advice.

Hey, so I'll admit I'm a bit of a big fella (around 6'5 and 115 kilos or around 253.5 lbs) and I have been for pretty much my entire life. I've been active throughout pretty much all my life until I got my knee injury and needed surgery to correct it. After that I didn't have the urge to do any sports anymore or do a lot of active things. Now i know it was stupid of me and it's my fault for gaining all this weight (I was around 80 - 90 kilos before my knee injury).

I wouldn't mind losing a lot at once but I do know that can also be bad for you if you lose to much. So I'm here to ask what type of diet and exercise should I do to kick start the weight loss? I need to lose weight and bulk up a bit for a job I'm going to be applying to as a miner in an open air mine as a construction worker/manual labor with a shovel. So I would like to know what a suitable diet and exercise routine would suit both the needs of losing weight while gaining muscle mass/strength.

Thanks in advance.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend low carb, high protein diet but avoid the red meat and the super fatty stuff like bacon as much as you can. There is a somewhat older book called Protein Power that I followed. Most amazing thing (aside from the weight loss) is it got my BP down to the same it was back in high school...so 20 year low.

Just a tip from personal experience if you go that route:
    Keep cut veggies on hand so you can snack on them whenever you get a little peckish.

Also, as the poster below me said. Exercise. Easy way to do it is to walk or ride a bike for anything you possibly can instead of driving.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-09-10 at 02:53 AM.

do jogging or ride a bicycle.. like 20 km 3 days a week... u'll gonna lose weight fast

I was in the same boat as you weight wise. I was 109 kilos few years back I was 80ish, so I woke up one day and decided it was time for a change. I stopped all Pop all anything that's pop was stopped. I stopped eating bread, sweets, milk products, drinking pop, eating deep fried foods, all junk food. I started going to the gym 5 times a week ( doing weight lifting and cardio). I was eating more times a day but smaller meals, I am eating every 3 hours. For month and a half I lost 7 kilos of weight and started building muscle.

My diet is consisted of the following: fruits, veggies, lots of salads, tuna fish, extra lean chicken/turkey breasts, egg whites. That's of the top of my head.

Also you should be drinking lots of water. I was told that you need to consume 30 ml of water for every kilo of weight that you have. I drink nothing but water and juices I make at home. Store bought juices have as much sugar as pop.

Also stop alcohol.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by niki; 2012-09-10 at 03:04 AM.

I lost weight doing a low carb, high protein diet, chicken breast, ground turkey, fish for meals. Seeds, nuts, and fruit for snacks. I like to make homemade granola with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, oats, dried cranberries, and a little bit of honey baked in the oven. I also like kashi go lean crunch cereal for breakfast. Cut out soda, cut out sweets, cut out fastfood, cut out frozen food.

Any type of exercise is good, I'd say mixing it up to keep it interesting so you don't get bored is key. For strength I'd say get a kettlebell and look up kettlebell exercises like the "extreme cardio workout." Kettlebell work outs translate better to real world strength than free weights because they work out your whole body.

Also, drink a large glass of water before every meal. This make you eat less.
    When eating, wait for 15-20 minutes between first and second portion. The feeling of being full is building slow, so you'll most likely be more full 15 minutes later, thus unlikely to overeat.

Good luck

Z.

Losing weight

Hello.

I have lost 13 kilo using JRF Health.
    They make a program specially for you and sustain motivation and feedback through skype and facebook.
    Many gamers i know are on this program and its working just fine.

if you are interested check out their facebook page : fb.com/jrfhealth or jrfhealth.co.uk
    Note that all the changes are NOT photoshop and i know these people myself. Also my name Daniel Maior and you can see my pictures on their facebook site.

PS: this is also used to bulk up and gain muscles.

Any questions PM me or poke me on my fb.com/dmaior

Deleted
    "I'd recommend low carb, high protein diet"

That's bad advice. Carbohydrates are VERY important to human health. High protein diets lead to disease, and nothing else. Read up on the science of nutrition before talking nonsense like that.

To the OP :

- 30 minutes of exercise per day (walking as fast as you can counts as exercise if you can't do anything else)
    - 8+ hours of sleep per night (it's very important)
    - fresh air and pure water everyday
    - cut out all animal products (meat, eggs, milk, cheese, etc)
    - eat fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, cereals. non processed food only. no added fat, no oils, no refined sugar.

You'll be fit and healthy in a couple of months.
    If you want to learn more, check the real, scientific facts at : http://nutritionfacts.org/
    Last edited by mmoc50c2a11c8f; 2012-10-04 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask View Post

That's bad advice. Carbohydrates are VERY important to human health. High protein diets lead to disease, and nothing else. Read up on the science of nutrition before talking nonsense like that.

To the OP :

- 30 minutes of exercise per day (walking as fast as you can counts as exercise if you can't do anything else)
    - eat fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, cereals. non processed food only. no added fat, no oils, no refined sugar.

If you want to learn more, check the real, scientific facts at : http://nutritionfacts.org/
    The science of nutrition shows that high protein diets are good for you. The science of nutrition shows that vegans and vegetarians tend to be obese as compared to the general population. These chinese studies that show longevity and good vitals are so completely misinterpreted in that any diet that is low calorie would and have produced the same results. If you cannot read studies and come to your own conclusion separate from what the writers have, then you should not be giving advice to people. That said, sleep is good and exercise is good. Eating high amounts of protein has been shown to satiate hunger better than any other type of diet. Also, a recent study showed that people who eat 9 small meals a day tend to have less hunger than people who eat the traditional 3. That said, I personally find it easier to diet with 1-3 meals a day so it all depends on the person. Figure out if you prefer eating more often or prefer a more intermittent fasting type diet but in either case you need to count calories and track them.

Not necessarily true. It depends what you mean by "low carb, high protein."

The FDA recommends 300 grams of carbs (1200 calories) to only 50 grams of protein (200 calories) in a 2000 calorie diet. If by low carb, high protein, you mean a more balanced ratio of carbs to protein--let's say 200 grams of carbs to 150 grams of protein or even 175/175--you will be fine. Protein can only hurt you if you don't eat any fat or carbs with your protein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation).

Anyway, for weight loss you don't want to focus on a diet; diets don't work. The goal should be to change your eating habits permanently. Find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then eat less than that. Cut out all soda, candy, junk food, white bread (wheat is ok) and excess alcohol. Eat what you want, but make sure your calorie intake is less than your expenditure until you get to a weight you think is suitable.

It's hard to find the exact amount of calories you're going to need without going to a nutritionist, but a Google search for a calorie calculator can get you a ballpark estimate.
    Last edited by Neazy; 2012-10-04 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Not necessarily true. It depends what you mean by "low carb, high protein."

The FDA recommends 300 grams of carbs (1200 calories) to only 50 grams of protein (200 calories) in a 2000 calorie diet. If by low carb, high protein, you mean a more balanced ratio of carbs to protein--let's say 200 grams of carbs to 150 grams of protein or even 175/175--you will be fine. Protein can only hurt you if you don't eat any fat or carbs with your protein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation).

Anyway, for weight loss you don't want to focus on a diet; diets don't work. The goal should be to change your eating habits permanently. Find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then eat less than that. Cut out all soda, candy, junk food, white bread (wheat is ok) and excess alcohol. Eat what you want, but make sure your calorie intake is less than your expenditure until you get to a weight you think is suitable.

It's hard to find the exact amount of calories you're going to need without going to a nutritionist, but a Google search for a calorie calculator can get you a ballpark estimate.
    Nutritionists wont be able to calculate it any better than those calculators. The only way to get an exact measurement is to measure your metabolism for an extended period of time and such tests are ridiculously expensive.

Deleted
    Dont go lowcarb.

Don't take nutirional advice from people on the internet. It's like trying to ask them how to make gasoline for your car. You would pay a mechanic to fix your car, a plumber to fix your toilet, treat your body better then you do your toilet.

The only piece of advice anybody on the internet will ever be able to give you regarding weight loss on the internet is this:
    Learn to differenciate between your mouth and a vacuum. No one here knows who you are, where you come from, what nutritional strategy will work for you. They all know what worked for them or their friends/family/etc. Every human being is different and requires a different nutritional strategy for long-term success. Anyone trying to tell you what to do over the internet is just setting you on a path that may or may not lead you to success, they cant know because they dont know you. Unless they are online nutirionist/coaches etc which exist and offer great services with proven track records as opposed to this shit show of conflicting information by self-promoted experts.
    Last edited by Strygwyr; 2012-10-09 at 08:53 PM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

To the OP :

um fruit has high fruit sugar in it i would avoid... and carbs you can get good ones from such things as beans.. the ones in bread turn to sugar meaning fat
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k w/ h2O @4.5ghz (24/7) Mobo: ASUS p8z86 Deluxe gen3
    Memory: 16gb G Skill Ripjaws (DDR3 1600) Graphics: EVGA GTX 670 2gb
    PSU: Corsair AX850 Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 120 gb SSD, Hitachi 1.5tb
    Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced OS: Win. 7 Ult. x64

Quote Originally Posted by e30Birdy View Post
    um fruit has high fruit sugar in it i would avoid... and carbs you can get good ones from such things as beans.. the ones in bread turn to sugar meaning fat
    lol? Everything you eat (other than fat and fiber) turns to fat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strygwyr View Post
    Don't take nutirional advice from people on the internet. It's like trying to ask them how to make gasoline for your car. You would pay a mechanic to fix your car, a plumber to fix your toilet, treat your body better then you do your toilet.
    Signed. You are overweight, which poses some serious health issues. Consult a doctor, and if necessary have him recommend you a nutritionist for diet advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Strygwyr View Post

The only piece of advice anybody on the internet will ever be able to give you regarding weight loss on the internet is this:
    Learn to differenciate between your mouth and a vacuum. No one here knows who you are, where you come from, what nutritional strategy will work for you. They all know what worked for them or their friends/family/etc. Every human being is different and requires a different nutritional strategy for long-term success. Anyone trying to tell you what to do over the internet is just setting you on a path that may or may not lead you to success, they cant know because they dont know you. Unless they are online nutirionist/coaches etc which exist and offer great services with proven track records as opposed to this shit show of conflicting information by self-promoted experts.
    I agree with this, but I will still offer up one piece of advice for weight loss:

Don't mix carbs and fat in a meal. It's the combination that's the killer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Avoid more proteins and go for a morning and evening walk regularly. Never sleep after taking meal. This is the big reason for fatness or gaining weight.
    You dont gain weight because you eat before you sleep.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need to make a good diet plan and then make a routine exercise. You need to avoid the high calories and high protein food items. Go for walk daily and drink more water, as i know as you more water drink its help to loss weight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mentalcase222 View Post
    You need to make a good diet plan and then make a routine exercise. You need to avoid the high calories and high protein food items. Go for walk daily and drink more water, as i know as you more water drink its help to loss weight.
    I didnt quite understand the last sentence but i guess you mean "the more water you drink the more weight you lose" which is semi true, but you can also die from drinking too much water.
    Drink ice cold water, one glass of ice cold water burns 8 calories i think it was if im not mistaken.
    Also why are you telling him to stay away from high protein food? And dont you dare say "Oh the body only absorbs 30g of protein in one meal" Because thats a load of bull.