10+ Year Old Account

What is the advantege of being melee class vs caster?

Hey everyone, first of all this is not a QQ post or anything like that.

Since vanilla and the dawn days of WoW in pvp or pve both melees and casters have advanteges and disadvanteges against each other. For example, back in the day being a melee is being able to dps while jumping and moving no problem at all, and being a caster advantege is being to dps while staying in a long range far away where you don't need to be so close or hug the target to be able to dps. The disadvantege of being a caster range class is that you have to stop moving and cast your spells while melee can jump and dps while moving. Melee disadvantege is that they need to move and get close to their enemy target.

However, today things changed too much and this question is for everyone:

What is the advantege being a melee class against caster range class? either it's pvp or pve point of view?

I'm asking this because casters range class no longer have the penalty of that you have to stop and cast your spells because almost every class (correct me if I'm wrong here please) can at least 1 or 2 spell that can be cast instant while moving or jumping.

Again this is not a QQ post and it's not about just pvp or just pve it's about in general.

Thanks for reading and keep it civil please.

Discuss
    Last edited by Velshin; 2012-09-11 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I'm asking this because casters range class no longer have the penalty of that you have to stop and cast your spells because almost every class (correct me if I'm wrong here please) can at least 1 or 2 spell that can be cast instant while moving or jumping.
    It evolved in that direction because a caster not only had to stop and cast, that cast could also be interrupted. The way interrupt works (short cd, locks the tree) if a melee sit on a caster he basically blocks that caster: he won't do anything. In order to work casters had to either avoid having a melee reaching them (in which case melee are blocked), or rely on instants and mobile spells.

Generally melee have higher burst potential, however since the patch this seems to be a little broken. Hopefully this will balance back out at 90, however mage burst seems pretty retarded by design.... Haven't played the beta so can't really comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Generally melee have higher burst potential, however since the patch this seems to be a little broken. Hopefully this will balance back out at 90, however mage burst seems pretty retarded by design.... Haven't played the beta so can't really comment.
    Since when? In BC a Warlock could easily 1 shot a player in PvP with sufficient gear as Destro and could outlast almost any other class in PVP as Affliction.
    Mages, in Cataclysm, had the capacity to completely decimate any player 1v1 as Frost with only so much as using Deep Freeze and then using a few globals.
    Ele and Boomkin as well thrived in Cataclysm RBGs.

These are just a few examples. If the burst you refer to is the melee popping their CD while in melee combat with a caster, then yes you are looking at a lot of burst. But the same can be said with casters at a range.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Since when? In BC a Warlock could easily 1 shot a player in PvP with sufficient gear as Destro and could outlast almost any other class in PVP as Affliction.
    Mages, in Cataclysm, had the capacity to completely decimate any player 1v1 as Frost with only so much as using Deep Freeze and then using a few globals.
    Ele and Boomkin as well thrived in Cataclysm RBGs.

These are just a few examples. If the burst you refer to is the melee popping their CD while in melee combat with a caster, then yes you are looking at a lot of burst. But the same can be said with casters at a range.
    If you canvas ALL ranged classes and pit their burst against ALL melee classes, overall GENERALLY melee classes come out ahead, particularly in movement heavy scenario's (provided they are in melee range). However there are notable exceptions.

Having said this I still think range > most melee in most situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I have always thought it was intended was something like this-

Melee Advantages:
    More DPS while character is on the move
    Easier to AoE via Cleave (instead of targeted AoE like Mage Blizzard)
    Can take more damage before dying

Melee Disadvantages:
    Positioning, both in terms of proximity and being behind the target
    Less crowd control
    Lower DPS when having to switch to a non-adjacent target

Caster Advantages:
    Maintain DPS through mechanics that don't allow player to be near Boss maintain DPS while stacking for the fire)
    Way more crowd control
    Not GCD capped (which allows a highly skilled player to move and maintain DPS if necessary)

Caster Disadvantages:
    Must be constantly planning ahead with regards to movement, can't just pick up and move and maintain DPS
    Unable to take as much damage before dying
    Must maintain distance to be effective, casters are at a disadvantage if they get too close (both from damage taken and damage output)

Whether or not this is how the game is currently playing out is a different story, but to me that is how the game feels like it was intended.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tennesseej View Post
    The way I have always thought it was intended was something like this-

Melee Advantages:
    More DPS while character is on the move
    Easier to AoE via Cleave (instead of targeted AoE like Mage Blizzard)
    Can take more damage before dying

Melee Disadvantages:
    Positioning, both in terms of proximity and being behind the target
    Less crowd control
    Lower DPS when having to switch to a non-adjacent target

Caster Advantages:
    Maintain DPS through mechanics that don't allow player to be near Boss maintain DPS while stacking for the fire)
    Way more crowd control
    Not GCD capped (which allows a highly skilled player to move and maintain DPS if necessary)

Caster Disadvantages:
    Must be constantly planning ahead with regards to movement, can't just pick up and move and maintain DPS
    Unable to take as much damage before dying
    Must maintain distance to be effective, casters are at a disadvantage if they get too close (both from damage taken and damage output)

Whether or not this is how the game is currently playing out is a different story, but to me that is how the game feels like it was intended.
    i dont know if this pve or what post put atm melee are mostly sittin ducks for most casters and most casters have so many ways to negate dmg taken so claiming melee can last longer is just bullshiet..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    It evolved in that direction because a caster not only had to stop and cast, that cast could also be interrupted. The way interrupt works (short cd, locks the tree) if a melee sit on a caster he basically blocks that caster: he won't do anything. In order to work casters had to either avoid having a melee reaching them (in which case melee are blocked), or rely on instants and mobile spells.
    That maybe true before but now things are changed too much and melee interrupts now have longer cd than before now it's 15 secs cd per one interrupt.