Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift of Aln under Tirisfal Glades?

Speculation thread, wanna hear your ideas. ALso, sorry if this is a re-post theres a lot to post and I didn't feel it appropriate to tack it onto someone else's thread.

So after reading some of the Cdev questions, I read the question:

"Q: During your recent Cdev, you stated that it wasn't an Old God underneath Tirisfal. Any chance you could give us any kind of hint as to what's down there? Any tidbit of info would be awesome.

A: I hate to do this, but I didn't want to leave you hanging without an answer. My answer is: We're not saying. Not yet."

cited here:http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments...developer_ama/

And the first question asked about this subject was this:

Q: Is there truly an Old God underneath the Tirisfal Glade?

A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.

cited here:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489940501

Got me thinking, if it isn't an Old God, then it's gotta be something with some type of nightmare-esque qualities. all the animals around the whispering forest are frightened and scurrying, there's the fairy circle that could have very well been placed there by Malfurion himself based off of this excerpt:

"Malfurion and Tyrande Whisperwind cleansed the Emerald Dream everywhere, except in the rift where the Nightmare stubbornly held firm. There was no point to keep pushing, as the people of Azeroth still needed the couple's help. Thus, Malfurion sealed off the vicinity around the rift, he and Tyrande silently agreeing that the day had been saved, and this was another war that would have to wait for a better time."

cited:http://www.wowwiki.com/Rift_of_Aln

This could be heavily tied to Vashj'ir, with this excerpt found at the same cite above:

"Curiously, only then did Malfurion truly sense that the ancient evil, though it fought to keep its grip there, did so from somewhere deep in the depths of Azeroth's own seas."

Knowing that all of the "old god-ish" tenticles from around abyssal depths, and the sudden cancellation of the Abyssal maw may have something to do with it not being ready, not in the sense of development but in the sense of story-line.

Also the interesting site in Kalimdor, specifically southern barrens in Bael Modan - where an NPC says:

"Turn away, <class>.
    Before the cataclysm hit, we found something.
    We dug something up that should've stayed buried.
    Pray to whatever you believe in that the landslide was enough to keep it down..."

Maybe this is one giant f***in' Old god?

Also, the interesting question "Q:Arathi Highlands has the potential to be a real epic convergence of a lot of stories, the Forsaken warmachine was last seen setting up camp here, Stromgarde sits eagerly awaiting revival as well as being the last line of defense between the Forsaken and Khaz Modan, giving the Dwarves and interesting stake in it. What are your plans with this zone, if any?

A:Agree completely. But, it's unlikely we'll revisit old zones once again. Until the next Cataclysm... "

This could possibly be coincidence, or maybe I'm just "in the moment" and trying to pull things into this speculation that really don't fit, but maybe this Old God sparks up yet another cataclysm after being defeated or "subdued"? But I also know this could be GC just being sarcastic.

There is also strong presence of Lord Xavius in this speculation,

"Lord Xavius was a powerful user of magic, and the high councilor to Queen Azshara."

Looking back at the fairy circle, the "fey-drunk darter" or "Faerie dragons, also known as sprites or blink dragons, are fey that look like flying lizards (much like a chameleon with butterfly wings). Though not actual dragons, these mystical looking creatures police the Emerald Dream from magic. As such they are immune to magic."

then take the name Fey "1. doomed; fated to die. 2.appearing to be under a spell; marked by an apprehension of death, calamity, or evil."
    cited:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fey

If the darter polices and is immune to magic, how is it possible it's fey-drunk? Lets say it's impaired by evil, the only real explanation is an old god, which was kinda taken out of commission by previous quotes, or Lord Xavius, who is said to be located in the rift of aln.

This is the sort of thing that keeps me interested in WoW. The little teasers and unexpected things to come. Whatever it is it definitely has me interested

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tirisfal Glades predates the Emerald Nightmare by several thousand years. That place drove even the original High Elves mad.

So no, I don't thikn it'll be the Rift of Aln.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Then maybe Xavius?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not entirely but the Tirisfal topic is discussed here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Theorycrafting

The nightmare is relatively recent, whatever's under Tirisfal's been there for several thousand years.

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baykon View Post
    Then maybe Xavius?
    He was destroyed in Stormrage. Whatever's going on there has nothing to do with him or the Nightmare.
    Last edited by Rocket Surgeon; 2012-09-12 at 05:28 PM.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it has something to do with Sargeras' Avatar's body and Order of Tirisfal.

Deleted
    Rift of Aln is in the maelstrom... no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with Sargeras' Avatar's body and Order of Tirisfal.
    thats what I was kinda thinking. Man I love this stuff
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

If you're talking about the avatar that Aegwynn defeated, it was trapped near the Maelstrom only about 350 years prior to WoW. So it's not that.
    Last edited by Rocket Surgeon; 2012-09-12 at 06:01 PM.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    If you're talking about the avatar that Aegwynn defeated, it was trapped near the Maelstrom only about 150 years prior to WoW. So it's not that.
    But Gul'dan didn't find it in the tomb near the Maelstrom. And "when" is irrelevant. It doesn't have to be old. Order of Tirisfal is old, it had a meeting place in Tirisfal Glade. And new order of Tirisfal could hide the body under Tirisfal Glade, along with other things hidden there by Old Order. That could make things MORE unsettling than before there. Some imprisoned demon possessing the Avatar of Sargeras...

A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.
    It's Palehoof's gamequit post.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to the Rift of Aln wowiki page, it is Old God related and Blizzard have recently come out and stated that there is no old god under the Tirisfall glades.

Random theory crafting here, but I'm going to say that watcher Tyr is there, corrupted in some way.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Rift of Aln means it's an Old God - and the Devs said it wasn't an Old God. So no.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    The prematurely shaved beard of Bimbi Stringfist a great hero of the dwarves, this is my prediction.

Blizzard said there's no Old God there, but does that mean there was never an old god there? Who's to say it's not an empty prison?

What if it is a form of hell or an entrance to hell, wow hasn't talked much about the true afterlife in wow and could be a neat place to explore. Like a Gateway to a demonic home where evil souls are taken after death and kept there? All i know about wow afterlife is pretty much is the nether and the heaven esque the naaru can send mortals too.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    But Gul'dan didn't find it in the tomb near the Maelstrom. And "when" is irrelevant. It doesn't have to be old. Order of Tirisfal is old, it had a meeting place in Tirisfal Glade. And new order of Tirisfal could hide the body under Tirisfal Glade, along with other things hidden there by Old Order. That could make things MORE unsettling than before there. Some imprisoned demon possessing the Avatar of Sargeras...
    Unless they recton the Highborne landing in Trisifal than leaving, yes it has to be old. Whatever is down there had to have been there when the Highborne first came to the Eastern Kingdoms, so 10,000 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Blizzard said there's no Old God there, but does that mean there was never an old god there? Who's to say it's not an empty prison?
    With what we know about Old Gods (I.E. their bodies literally support the weight of entire continents (see Yogg-Saron and Northrend)) it's doubtful that one just got up and moved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the Rift is under there, I thought it was within the Maelstrom itself
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!