Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been keeping up with IGN's top 100 RPGS of all time and Mass Effect 2 shows up. The slight description and reasoning for being listed mentions that it neither does third-person shooting nor role-playing tropes in particularly great ways. However, it combines these elements with a story-driven experience in a fairly rich universe. The latter made me keep playing. If I could avoid combat I usually did.

Anyways more to my intention of the thread. Games that you didn't give a fair shot because of your own limitations. I can think of one from the times I was waiting in between Final Fantasies on the PSX. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I read about this game and loved the idea of having rich characters that did not fit neatly into a cliche. The story was a bit morose but, humorous, reminding me of the best darkly comedic, horror films. Of course, being an RPG, it had all the familiar elements of anything in the genre but, with its own twists. I simply refused to be taken out of my comfort zone with the random encounters. I wanted the encounters to play like Final Fantasies or Suikodens or something that is traditional but, not necessarily bland. I tried 3 times to play the game but, never got more than 3 hours into it. It is a shame on my part.
    I have a propensity for rational and evolving thought... what am I doing on a forum?

Deleted
    2 more games come in mind, Suikoden 4 and Breath of Fire, dragon quarter. in both of those games i absolutely LOVED the prequels, but absolutely hated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopin View Post
    What are some games that you felt that you didn't give a fair shot? That you quit before you tried to experiment with the games systems? That you pigeon-holed? That you can point to and say my own limitations prevented me from experiencing that game?
    I might be misunderstanding the question, but I'd have to say: Demon's Souls.

The game was mentioned so many times in discussion threads wherever I looked, and the thought of an old-school-unforgiving RPG game seemed appealing, since those are the kinds of games I grew up on. When I finally bought a PS3, I made sure to get that game with the others I bought.

Now, I had not actually watched any movies for it, and only knew a few things about the game (souls are money and XP, death penalty means you lose them all). But after playing through the tutorial and first area, I realized that the game was completely different than how I'd imagined it to be. The best way I can explain it is that it felt like playing an old version of Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur. And I am terrible at fighting games. I can't time my blocks or dodges, or hit a counter-attack at just that right 0.1 ms window of opportunity. Battles just felt like a long series of QTEs, where missing one meant you were pretty much dead.

I probably didn't give it the fair turn it deserves, but the combat system plus the lack of a feeling of direction in the game really put me off it and I haven't revisited it since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    2 more games come in mind, Suikoden 4 and Breath of Fire, dragon quarter. in both of those games i absolutely LOVED the prequels, but absolutely hated them.
    Ah yes Dragon Quarter and it's lovely system of limited save tokens and the freakin D-counter... My god Suikoden 4's random encounter rate out on the ocean was abysmal.