Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How fast can you read?

The average adult reads at 300 WPM, while comprehending what it is they're reading. Do you read faster or slower than the average?

You can take a short test here: http://www.readingsoft.com/

I got 480 WPM on my first try, then I realized I could answer just 3-4 of the comprehension questions. I did it again with full comprehension and I read at 320 WPM, and it's slow for someone who reads a lot but I don't really care. I like sounding out the words in my head (but only when I'm reading books, not articles) because it makes the experience more enjoyable. I know I could improve if I stopped auditory reading (sounding out the words in my head) but I'd rather not.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    I don't read much at all. I read at my normal pace and got 184 wpm with 91% comprehension.

Deleted
    I am: "18% slower than the national average."

I read at 256 wpm, with 100% comprehension, apparently.

Deleted
    is reading fast a desired skill?

Deleted
    206 wpm with 91 % comprehension.
    The fact that English isn't my native language probably doesn't help but I thought I was faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    807 wpm with 91% comprehension.
    Been reading all my life, one of my favorite things to do. I can average a Stephen King book in about 4-5 hours if I really enjoy it ^_^

15+ Year Old Account
    I scored 413 wpm.

I have to say that since starting to moderate the forums and having to read so much per day, I've gotten pretty good at reading kinda fast.

edit: oh and 82% on the comprehension test.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-09-13 at 06:28 PM.

I got exactly 300 wpm with 100% comprehension, first try...average like a motha fucka I read often, but for brief periods of time, usually. Probably a book every month, maybe less than a month for some shorter books. I read mostly while on the toilet (just being honest). I guess that's not too bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    527 wpm, 100% comprehension. I do read a lot of books, though, aside from looking at a computer screen for a large part of most days.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

I don't know how you guys read that fast while keeping your comprehension so high. When I try to stop reading with my inner voice and just look at the words, my eyes tend to fly over words and I end up not remembering anything.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    628 wpm, 100% comprehension. Though i read it like a text book, after years of studying I naturally get the jest of things which eliminates the need to read the entire paragraph.
    This said ... i do have trouble reading a novel now, I'm always trying to interpret and analyse everything. Need to find the joy of reading.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't know how you guys read that fast while keeping your comprehension so high. When I try to stop reading with my inner voice and just look at the words, my eyes tend to fly over words and I end up not remembering anything.
    You're probably an auditory reader then, like the test site says. I don't have an inner voice that reads the words to me, I just need to see them to comprehend them.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

15+ Year Old Account
    going to move this here to fun stuff too. It's more of a test/quiz than anything to do with books.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    going to move this here to fun stuff too. It's more of a test/quiz than anything to do with books.

I really don't like this test, though I scored about 1300wpm. It really depends on if what you are reading is technical or a story. When I read programming books, or documentation, I read slower, more thoroughly, than if I read a story where it is possible to 'skim' sentences and fully understand their meanings.

I read a LOT of books when I was younger, and it takes a lot of practice to be able to 'skim' through sentences picking up the details as you go.
    Last edited by Takamuri; 2012-09-13 at 07:54 PM.
    Taka of Deus Vox

10+ Year Old Account
    319wpm and 73% on the comprehension test. I'm a little disappointed in myself, considering how much I read on a daily basis.

Deleted
    You read 585 words per minute.
    That makes you 134% faster than the national average.

I dont feel like i read that fast

I got 277 at 82% but I'm not entirely sure its accurate, I read a lot faster on topics I care about, reading a page about reading is booooooring. I've read the first four HP books and half of the 5th in an 8 hour period before, the same with any fantasy book, 800 pages is about a 4 hour read. And that has to be faster than what I scored just now.

Don't think this is a very good test, overall. I can read novels like a motherfucker, I do it all the time (I would guess 600+ WPM) because for me, comprehending story and dialogue is substantially easier to do quickly than numbers and bullshit wordplay like this test. I'm not the best reader ever but I'm better than this stupid ass test tells me I am, which is still above average, but still. And not to use it as an excuse, but I naturally can't read as fast on a monitor as I can on paper, reading at length on a PC makes me a bit ill.

Deleted
    318 wpm, 73% comprehension, pretty decent I guess, for a foreign language

Obviously a very limited test, would have to be longer and more nuanced to give a qualified estimate