Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

starting my very first SW:TOR character, looking for advice.

ive played a little swtor here and there at my buddies, but i have decided to download it(as we speak) and give it a good try.

i have been a hunter main for almost 4 years in wow, and i definetly like playing a hunter more then other classes so i will want to try a similar(yet different in a way, since it is a different game) feel, i was looking through the classes and noticed there are 2 ranged "hunter-like" classes. which one do you guys think suits the old wow hunter style more? i guess i should also include that i mostly PVP.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the Imperial Agent, especially the sniper advanced class is what you are looking for, excellent at kiting and it got a high damage output, but quite squishy, be sure to use all defensive cooldowns when needed.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the imperial agent is what i thought from the official descriptions but that sounds like exactly what i want then, i love the kiting in pvp aspect of being a hunter. you cant have it all so i was expecting some squish:P

thanks einarr
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

15+ Year Old Account
    you're welcome, hope you have a great time in swtor ;D

I personally like Inquisitor/Consular the most (Assassin/Sorceror , Shadow/Sage, same things diff factions)

If you want to be the most hunter like, then roll a Bounty Hunter or Trooper I would think

Advanced class wise Mercenary Bounty Hunters get to dual wield pistols, which is cool. Powertech Bounty Hunters get 1 measly pistol.... not cool. For Troopers, Vanguards get Assault rifles, Commandos get a gigantic 2 handed cannon looking thing, both fairly cool.

(Sniper/Gunslinger have to do this Cover thing that basically anchors them in place and changes your bindings, it's really annoying. I don't reccomend that class)
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-09-12 at 07:35 AM.

The answer is:
    Bounty Hunter -> Merc (Empire)
    Trooper -> Commando (Republic)

Bounty Hunters have the best companions. Both have very good stories, but I think I like the Trooper story a little more.

Deleted
    My gunslinger is level 41, so when a level 50 sniper tells you the opposite of my take, in doubt trust him.

That said, due to the cover mechanics of the sniper/gunslinger, you can - if you insist - play the class running around kiting stuff but you cannot use some of the most powerful abilities which require you do be "dug in". So gameplay is somewhat different from a WoW hunter.

Still, basically all classes in SWTOR have a certain hunter feeling at least in PVE, as you will have a "pet", your companion, out permanently.

I'd say the mercenary / commando comes closest to a hunter playstile, sniper / gunslinger have very special mechanics.

remember that all TOR classes have pets (aka companions) for soloplay, but they are not available in raids and battlegrounds, you're on your own there.

I'm partial to the consular / Inquisitor.

You can go the healer route and the first companion you get it is a tank. The leveling speed and what you can do solo greatly increases.

The other side is to the consular / Inquisitor I went was a shadow tanking. Another great leveling build and you get your dedicated healer as your third companion. After that the leveling again becomes so much faster and you are able to take on so much more as a solo player as well as having stealth and a Sap-like ability called mind maze.

The consular story is not as strong as the inquisitors but neither is terrible.

However, neither plays exactly like a hunter other then say the sage healer and a tank companion.

Controlling your pet/companion. If you were good at pet mechanics, moving your pet effectively, keeping him alive while he killed things with your assist. You would do well as all the other sage skills for DPS are ranged as well as strong heals.

I could see it being a similar setup of sorts to a hunter. You might enjoy it as well as the added benefit of tanks and healers are always needed later in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a WoW Hunter, I would suggest the Sniper/Gunslinger. It has extremely high damage output, but is very limited in movement. Think of it as a mobile turret. Its not as durable as other classes, but it also has a decent amount of Snares and CC to stay relatively safe in PvP. Positioning will be the biggest boon for playing this class.

A little more durable and mobile option is the Mercenary/Commando. They can do really good damage and aren't limited to using the cover mechanic like the Sniper/Gunslinger. The downside is that all their major attacks are casts which are vulnerable to interrupts (Sniper/Gunslinger cover makes their casts immune to pushback). But another tick in the positive column is that they can also heal on the side or spec as full fledge healers, giving you options.

I would not recommend the Sage/Sorc as its more of a Wizard class.

I would suggest considering the Powertech/Vanguard though. Its more of a melee/range hybrid that is most powerful at medium range. Its a does excellent damage is a tank hybrid so its extremely durable. You can also spec it as a full tank. It does well in melee and decent enough at long range. Most all of its major attacks are instant so you don't have to sit still and cast anything. It also happens to be one of the current "OP" classes in PvP at the moment.

It depends what you liked about the hunter. If you liked standing around shooting things while you're pet tanks, any of the classes can do that, but the gunslinger/sniper is probably the closest. If you want to kite, you probably want a merc or commando.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    My gunslinger is level 41, so when a level 50 sniper tells you the opposite of my take, in doubt trust him.

That said, due to the cover mechanics of the sniper/gunslinger, you can - if you insist - play the class running around kiting stuff but you cannot use some of the most powerful abilities which require you do be "dug in". So gameplay is somewhat different from a WoW hunter.

Still, basically all classes in SWTOR have a certain hunter feeling at least in PVE, as you will have a "pet", your companion, out permanently.
    To me, this tells me that you aren't speced dirty fighting, which is the main pvp spec.

Dirty fighting basically is very mobile, has lots of cooldown reduction, and its abilities aren't tied to cover.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have mentioned here, Gunslinger or Commando on the republic side or Sniper/Bounty Hunter on the Imperial side. The gunslinger/sniper's big hitting abilities require you to be stationary (cover mechanic). However, the commando/BH's big hitters (full auto and gravity round, republic side) require you to be stationary as well. Having played both the commando and gunslinger classes to 50 I personally prefer the commando style of ranged dps as I am not a huge fan of the cover mechanic.

I would try both classes for a bit and make a decision from there. Both classes have great stories so it's win win whatever direction you decide to go in.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why people think IAs are the closest to WoW Hunters. I've played IAs and BHs and I can definitely say that a Merc Bounty Hunter is the closest to a traditional hunter for dps purposes. As far as mobility, slows, and kiting...you aren't going to find that playstyle mirrored very well in PvP in this game. The various abilities a Hunter has are mixed between 3 different classes.

For PvE dps, Mercs provide the closest playstyle. You are stationary for ramped damage, but have short cooldowns that are instant cast and thus can be used on the move. It's a very similar mechanic to spamming steady shot and filling holes with a couple other instant abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    For PvE dps, Mercs provide the closest playstyle. You are stationary for ramped damage, but have short cooldowns that are instant cast and thus can be used on the move. It's a very similar mechanic to spamming steady shot and filling holes with a couple other instant abilities.
    The same can be said for Sniper/Gunslinger though. You can move during normal shots or use abilities like Followthrough (after its proc'd), then plant down with cover for an instant Snipe and/or reduced cast time Ambush. Moving as a Sniper/Gunslinger also has the benefit of refreshing some buffs you can get like reducing incoming damage.

Personally I started off HATING the cover mechanic and deleted my 2nd character because I made him a Gunslinger. But much later I rolled a Sniper and decided to just grit my teeth and bear it. Turns out the cover mechanic, while annoying at first, isn't bad at all once you get used to it and understand it a little better. That being said, the Merc doesn't have to bother with that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal opinion is to go Bounty Hunter or Trooper. Lots and lots of kiting to be had!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    then plant down with cover *snip* the Merc doesn't have to bother with that at all.
    Just another reason why the Merc is more suited to a hunter playstyle. Hunters don't have to drop totems everytime they move before they start dpsng normally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Just another reason why the Merc is more suited to a hunter playstyle. Hunters don't have to drop totems everytime they move before they start dpsng normally.
    Back in my day they did! We also had to walk uphill both ways through Molten Core to get our Leaf so we could fight demons that spawned every 4 hours, and we liked it! Now get off my lawn! And who the hell put Serpent Sting on the mob, we only have limited debuff slots! *goes off to get the hose*

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    (Sniper/Gunslinger have to do this Cover thing that basically anchors them in place and changes your bindings, it's really annoying. I don't reccomend that class)
    Here's the thing most people don't understand about Gunslingers/Snipers. You aren't anchored to the ground behind your shield, forced to sit and be a turret the whole fight. In fact, there are benefits to getting up from your position and run around - the next time you deploy your shield you get ballistic dampeners which negate some of your damage, and your charge shot procs instantly (providing you're specced that way). Every time you lay down your shield you have potential to lay down some massive burst damage.

In addition, you've got access to some of the best CC in the game. You've got 2 knockback abilities when the melee units come in too close, you've got your flash grenade for stunning multiple enemies, and if you like to kite people you're going to get real familiar with the sound of kicking Sith Lords in the balls.

The class isn't for everyone, but don't let the shield mechanic scare you away from giving it a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget that while in cover, those pesky Jedi can't leap on you.