10+ Year Old Account
    Ayyyyy, what's good in the hood, my people?

I'm here until this game ends and then leaving foreeeeeever.

I totally missed you guys though. It looks like things have been...quiet for the past few months. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post

I totally missed you guys though. It looks like things have been...quiet for the past few months. What happened?
    Lot of people left/quit/break. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Lot of people left/quit/break. Apparently.
    I think a bunch of people were just busy with other things... I know I was :S

7+ Year Old Account

Well, I know I've missed you. I just happy to see you, though I wish again that this wasn't the last game.
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

Stay beyond this next game if you can! Please?

It looks like things have been...quiet for the past few months. What happened?
    Eh, it's a lot of things, a lot of older players left and not enough new ones to fill in the ranks. I don't think anyone actually actively recruits for MMO-mafia either which doesn't help.

Game design in general is an issue with a lot of games being centered around PR's and while they don't necessarily award AFKing or lurking there is no real punishment for doing so either meaning a lot of games right now are tending to drag on in end game and it makes them boring. Without a way to really curb this it's going to continue to be an issue too and I think it's a main reason so many people lost interest, you can have a really fun and interesting game but if the last 2 days take 4 weeks to get through because there's only 2-3 active players it kills the momentum that game had.

There's a big lack of innovation too with very few new ideas being thrown about just old stuff put in to different themes. I mean whens the last time we had a Vampire/Werewolf/Cult/Traitor/Recruitment/3rdparty/somethingnew based game?

Currently we are using Mafia/Town/SK and that's about it, with such a huge world of diverse modes this forum just seems to be stuck in single gear with the biggest shakeup being LOOK THERE'S TWO MAFIA!

^^ Listen to banana duck

- - - Updated - - -

pointupquote doesn't work as well when it wraps to a new page. He probably did that on purpose.
    I may be able to get back to a few games in the new year if numbers are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Virothe View Post
    There's a big lack of innovation too with very few new ideas being thrown about just old stuff put in to different themes. I mean whens the last time we had a Vampire/Werewolf/Cult/Traitor/Recruitment/3rdparty/somethingnew based game?
    We need an Uggor game... I've tried but I suck at coming up with off the wall things out side of a role or two T.T

EDIT: Especially when they are created in isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Largehorn View Post
    We need an Uggor game... I've tried but I suck at coming up with off the wall things out side of a role or two T.T

EDIT: Especially when they are created in isolation.
    We don't really need Uggor per-say we just need someone to go out of their way to construct some really unique games or we need to find a way to diminish the role PR's play in our games for a bit.

The main issue we have currently though is that our system for allowing people to mod goes against this concept with some people making a game and waiting months to be able to have it be played they are not willing to re-construct their concepts to adapt to the new needs of the thread and with such a long standing line a lot of others become complacent and always expect there to be a new game on the horizon. We never questioned why people were leaving or what was happening to our community until the games stopped flowing.

The funny part is though that they didn't stop, but the attendance did. We still have a backlog of created games to play but they all require an abundance of people and we're only meeting a minimum.

I have no other connection to other mafia communities either, but if anyone here does I would turn to them and maybe ask their advice or try to point some of their players in this direction because we do need a serious boost to our player base it would help in the short term but in the long term we still have a lot of issues to work out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also sorry for the long winded posts guys, but I do love this community and seeing it dying I've tried to put a lot of thought in to whats wrong and how to fix it and seeing a chance to talk about it I kinda jumped at it.

@Virothe: I agree we need some fresh blood. Players come and go - but I really like this community, I don't want it to die, and that's why I'm sticking around, even though my heart says I should take a break at some point. The Miss Congeniality game was to say the least, not my finest game.

As for upcoming themed games with crazy power roles and wild mechanics - I can modify my zero escape game down to 9 players if needed to. It'll be a worse game for it though, I think it will be far better if we get at least 20 players. I also have a not-quite-mafia game suiting exactly 6 players. It'll be very very different beast though, but probably perfect for someone feeling a bit burnt out by the game of mafia. It should work as a mini game.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how we promote mmoc mafia unless we make another 'MMOC Mafia thread for beginners'. See what happens. Because can't exactly spam "Have you tried mafia!" in other threads without being insta banned.

I do miss the big games. They are hella lot more fun (and extremely stressful)

im only a part time player because life gets in the way i'd play more often if i knew i could commit to it but i do enjoy playing when i get the chance. I also like to read the games every now and then if i get 20 minutes to myself it's quite entertaining sometimes just being a spectator.

I too miss the big games but most game setups can be adapted for a smaller group of players ok you'll lose some roles but you have to work with what you got I myself had a game that i designed for 30 but made it tiny to mod my very first game which was an intermission game.

I had tried other sites for mafia and omg this site is by far the best for it, i remember the first site i tried and the game day was 7 days long!!!

This community is great but i think there are people that get too invested in the games and take the game way too seriously and so get upset over the smallest of things and forget it's just a game, and so as a result 'have a break' from the game. i like it when people try new things even if it is a bastardised game it makes you appreciate more the effort that people put in to the games.

As far as attendance goes i dont think there is much we can change about our format that will change/improve anything as i think it works really well as it is. there are a few mods whose games i will always sign up to and make the time to play them and yes Uggor is one of those but BF and Cru are in that list among others.

Deleted
    I think I've covered most of these at some stage. Apart from Cult, Cult games are not mafia games and I will never run one.

When I set up a game, I try not to wander to far from what Mafia is about. My first game was meh but it was super role heavy, after learning my lesson from that game all my others have been much better. The Book of Omens is my only game with no new roles. Even my future games Buffy 2 and Wentworth have new roles.

I always think when you sign up to a mafia game, your expecting to play something loosely based on your perception of what Mafia is.

For me that's Town v Mafia, 1 team against the other (and the many other permutations available).

So I follow that formula but try to add things to keep you guys busy, like: the wish system for example.

We don't really need Uggor per-say we just need someone to go out of their way to construct some really unique games or we need to find a way to diminish the role PR's play in our games for a bit.
    I'm not sure game uniqueness is really a factor, honestly. It may even be a deterrent to newcomers, to some extent. Some people may know how to play mafia, but aren't sure how to approach the style of game that's presented here. Others are willing to dive in, but get caught up in the theme more than they probably should.

I also agree with Cruelle that the core of any given game should be a fairly standard game of mafia. You can certainly turn some rules on their head and introduce new mechanics to add flavor, but they should not really detract from what a player should want or expect from a game.

Don't get me wrong: the themed games are great, but they shouldn't be much more than flavor, and we can't really rely on the themes to draw people in. The D&D game, for example, looks different on a superficial level, but was designed with the express intent of playing like a normal game outside of the occasional well-placed night action.

some people making a game and waiting months to be able to have it be played they are not willing to re-construct their concepts to adapt to the new needs of the thread
    I completely agree with this part, though. While it is difficult (for me, anyway) to design a game while playing a game, I think it's worthwhile to keep your finger on the pulse of the community and adapt to issues as they arise. Some of the things Danner and I put into the D&D game would not have existed had we designed the game in a vacuum.

and with such a long standing line a lot of others become complacent and always expect there to be a new game on the horizon. We never questioned why people were leaving or what was happening to our community until the games stopped flowing.

The funny part is though that they didn't stop, but the attendance did. We still have a backlog of created games to play but they all require an abundance of people and we're only meeting a minimum.
    The community should certainly be cognizant of issues and address them more quickly, but it's worth noting that life may also have been a factor for a number of people, at least regarding the past couple of months.

If you really go back and examine the past few games, Largehorn's Emergency game ended at the start of September, and had 18 players. Games before that had roughly ~20 players as well. I guess what I'm saying here is it's all Largehorn's fault. I'm sure between last minute vacations, school starting, work and -- dare I say it -- the election insanity, people have probably had less time (and energy) for mafia games.

I know I have.
    Last edited by Reticence; 2016-11-21 at 08:45 PM.

I personally prefer simple setups. TPR heavy games are usually pretty meh.

someone wake up bloodfox

Eh, I'm up for pretty much any game setup - be it standard or unique. The more unusual games, personally, are a bit more appealing to me than the standard games but that may be because regular games are dragging out a lot lately. I'll likely continue to sign up for whatever - though I'll admit that I'll probably take a break if activity dwindles further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    I personally prefer simple setups. TPR heavy games are usually pretty meh.
    I'm the opposite tbh I prefer TPR heavy games, as long as there is no cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I'm the opposite tbh I prefer TPR heavy games, as long as there is no cult.
    The main issue with cult games is they are not structured properly to be played on this forum, and we as players play in such a way as to give a much stronger advantage to the cult.

We all individually play towards our own victory but very seldom work in tandem as a group and we tend to be very forgiving to players who lack a clear presence in the thread. This all plays towards a cults benefit.

This is partly due to the reliance we have on TPR's but also due to the fact that Vt's aren't really ever given a real role in games outside fodder due to just poor game structure and again our playerbases own view of them as a useless role.

The only way to really structure a cult game and have it truly work (with our player base) would be to put a stipulation on it something like "player needs X amount of votes to be recruited" "Cult member must post X amount a day or they die" Because otherwise due to our own negligence we allow them to over-populate to quickly and allow for a majority of the members to fly under the radar.

And Unique games are not "Shove in more TPRS" Unique games are something that can take the original structure of the game and make it feel fresh and fun.

/Moo

How's everybody doing?