10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Never heard of red velvet cake.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...&bih=936&dpr=1

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Never heard of red velvet cake.
    You poor deprived person. I deeply feel and mourn your loss.

We must now all come together and fix this. Some one start a Kickstarter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Largehorn View Post
    You poor deprived person. I deeply feel and mourn your loss.

We must now all come together and fix this. Some one start a Kickstarter.
    We feel equally for you and your lack of Battenberg cake.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

As I understand it red velvet cake is essentially chocolate cake drowned in red food dye. It doesn't sound like anyone who hasn't tried it is particularly missing out so I wouldn't feel bad for not even having heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    We feel equally for you and your lack of Battenberg cake.
    T.T Well there are only so many things an American who hasn't left the states (my one trip to Toronto doesn't count) can try. Don't worry at this point it is on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    As I understand it red velvet cake is essentially chocolate cake drowned in red food dye. It doesn't sound like anyone who hasn't tried it is particularly missing out so I wouldn't feel bad for not even having heard of it.
    That's what most modern Red Velvet cakes are, yes.

Originally, red velvet cakes were very different, getting the red color (and different flavor) from Dutch-process cocoa, which is difficult (impossible?) to find anymore, so now most red velvet cakes just get the red dyed into them.

Still, a good red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and crushed walnuts...

Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    ...would probably be awful. I never understood why people cover every dessert in nuts, the texture of them absolutely ruins most foods and they taste horrible too.

But I guess that's just, like, my opinion, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    ...would probably be awful. I never understood why people cover every dessert in nuts, the texture of them absolutely ruins most foods and they taste horrible too.

But I guess that's just, like, my opinion, or something.
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, but then you insulted walnuts. HERESY!
    This avatar, the glorious green phoenix, kicks Kel's avatar's butt and then burns it with epic green fire. May Kel's avatar never be seen again.

Thanks to Dyra for finding the green phoenix.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Lysah here about nuts, I cannot stand them and the ruin every fucking carrot cake I want to try. I hate nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Blood fox View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with Lysah here about nuts, I cannot stand them and the ruin every fucking carrot cake I want to try. I hate nuts
    I suppose they do have a bit of a distinctive flavor, and I can see why they wouldn't belong on carrot cake in particular. I've never really understood that. I like almost any other sort of cake with walnuts or hazelnuts on it, though.

I don't expect a lot of agreement with that, but I don't understand why it is that so many people dislike nuts.
    This avatar, the glorious green phoenix, kicks Kel's avatar's butt and then burns it with epic green fire. May Kel's avatar never be seen again.

Thanks to Dyra for finding the green phoenix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix3 View Post
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, but then you insulted walnuts. HERESY!
    They also insulted pecans....

*gathers up some torches and pitchforks*

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood fox View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with Lysah here about nuts, I cannot stand them
    Blood Fox confirmed lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix3 View Post
    I don't expect a lot of agreement with that, but I don't understand why it is that so many people dislike nuts.
    Putting nuts in food is like taking something delicious and comforting and mixing some dirt in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will agree with the arguments claiming nuts are an invalid food group. They ruin all the things.

... Shredded coconut too.

Almonds arent nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither are peanuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like most nuts, but saying the texture of them ruins a cake is telling me you don't understand how textures in cooking work.

Most cakes are soft with a soft and sweet frosting. The crunchy texture of nuts is needed to combat the one overall texture (soft) that cakes have.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if there are nuts on the cake, grandma has to put her dentures in to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    They also insulted pecans....

*gathers up some torches and pitchforks*
    I'll get the tar and feathers!

10+ Year Old Account
    but but but nuts are tasty :x

Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    That's what most modern Red Velvet cakes are, yes.

Originally, red velvet cakes were very different, getting the red color (and different flavor) from Dutch-process cocoa, which is difficult (impossible?) to find anymore, so now most red velvet cakes just get the red dyed into them.

And this is totally right and you can get Dutch-process cocoa just not in regular grocery stores.