10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Pfft I just spent 5 days camping surrounded by tons of people
    don't lie now Corgi :P

On a different note. I was listening to NPR this morning and they brought up an interesting possible unintentional side effect of self driven cars. Apparently a large % of organs which get transplanted into people come from people who die in car accidents. So they were saying that if the driverless cars do catch on and they do reduce the amount of fatal accidents, organs will probably become harder to come by. I'd never thought about that before.
    Quoting for great justice. Why? Because I can. Also...totally only something you would hear on NPR XD

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    don't lie now Corgi :P
    Just because for some reason you think camping has to be alone doesn't mean it's not camping.

Pfft I just spent 5 days camping

On a different note. I was listening to NPR this morning and they brought up an interesting possible unintentional side effect of self driven cars. Apparently a large % of organs which get transplanted into people come from people who die in car accidents. So they were saying that if the driverless cars do catch on and they do reduce the amount of fatal accidents, organs will probably become harder to come by. I'd never thought about that before.
    Unless a Google executive needs an organ and suddenly selfdriven cars crash simultaneously

How evil!! i thought Google's mantra was "Don't be evil".

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because for some reason you think camping has to be alone doesn't mean it's not camping.
    no one said alone, just without what is essentially civilization all around you :P

no one said alone, just without what is essentially civilization all around you :P
    Just having tons of people around does not equate to a civilization. There is a lot that goes into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    No, Worgie is right. If a group is larger than 10 it will automatically divide itself into hunters and gatherers and instinctively build a life around the general vicinity. Soon enough you'll have camp fires, pelts, and a hungry god demanding tribute by blood.

It's basic human nature, Arlee. Trust me, I'm a marine biologist.
    * Distracts EN with a Sea Turtle

10+ Year Old Account
    Trixie is win <3

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft I just spent 5 days camping

This is true because most viable organs come from sudden deaths. In cases where people die slowly it usually causes too much damage to other organs in the body (they have to work harder to try and support what is wrong with the person).

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really thought about that aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for camping, I used to go camping all the time as a kid and there were tons of people around. A group of about 30 or so of my dads friends and family would all go camping in the same spot once a month. It's where they had been riding dirtbikes most of their lives. It was always tons of fun and it was well out in the middle of the desert way away from any sort of civilization.

Camping for me involves a cabin now. I'm fine if that cabin is out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around. I am fine if that cabin is run off of generators.

I just require a bed and running water. I don't need power. A nice fireplace in the middle of the cabin to keep it warm and well lit works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really thought about that aspect.
    A lot of organ transplants happen around New Years Eve. Tons of people out drinking and driving. Sadly that leads to many deaths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arlee went camping at some festival. When we're saying tons, we mean hundreds. I could even see a group of around 30 still being camping in the idea I have of it

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Arlee went camping at some festival. When we're saying tons, we mean hundreds. I could even see a group of around 30 still being camping in the idea I have of it
    Yea it was at a folk festival. In tents. No running water or electricity and it is literally in the middle of nowhere. In fact one of my friends and I cook a meal for between 20-40 the first night of the festival every year. Using only small propane stoves and the Grill/Smoker Ethan luggs with him. It's pretty cool. Different in a lot of ways from backpack camping. But it's still camping.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd consider that camping.

The no running water or electricity combined with sleeping in tents qualifies it enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayzy View Post
    I'd consider that camping.

The no running water or electricity combined with sleeping in tents qualifies it enough.
    the lack of any threat whatsoever from nature and the general absence of peace and quiet doesn't affect that any?

10+ Year Old Account
    the lack of any threat whatsoever from nature and the general absence of peace and quiet doesn't affect that any?
    Unless you are camping in an area with a high amount of poisonous snakes, in the savannah in Africa, or along some rivers in Africa (or Australia) then you really aren't going to have any threat from nature. Outside of the Everglades and other similar environments in the U.S. (aka alligator country) you don't have to worry about any sort of wildlife attacking you. Bears, mountain lions, coyotes, and wolves are all extremely afraid of people. Unless they are rabid, you startle them by sneaking up on them, or you are between them and their babies they will run from you.

It is very rare that a predator will attack you.

Peace and quiet isn't needed either. It is nice and usually preferred, but I don't see that as any sort of determining factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    right, we're talking with Mr. Zoologist here :P So you're saying I could enjoy a nice cuppa while a bears nosing 10 feet away and as long as I don't do anything, I'd be fine?

*shrug* I see camping as a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the modern world. Maybe it's just my view that's wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    right, we're talking with Mr. Zoologist here :P So you're saying I could enjoy a nice cuppa while a bears nosing 10 feet away and as long as I don't do anything, I'd be fine?

*shrug* I see camping as a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the modern world. Maybe it's just my view that's wrong
    I wouldn't suggest you do it on your own, but if you were with a guide or biologist who knows what to look for in animals then yes you could. If you know what to look for you can see how relaxed an animal is and continue to approach it. Once they change their posture to one more defensive or scared then you should slowly back away (never turn your back to the animal and never run unless it is already chasing you...even then you are better off standing still, making yourself look as big as possible, and try to intimidate it...you wont outrun any predator).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok all this talk of camping makes me sick!

No way to have a shower, no electricity, no proper bathroom facilities omg it sounds horrible!

With regards the Car and Organ thing (So random haha), aren't they currently trying to clone organs etc, that would be a way to get around the shortage.