PvP Power & PvP Resilience Explained

Hey there MMO champs,

I was surfing the internet the other day while looking for some information on PvP Power and I came across an article on Battlemasters.org Turns out this article had more answers than I could hope for inside of it. Since people tend to not like reading, or have trouble grasping a concept when it is just on paper. I went ahead and made a couple videos to try and put the information in the article and graphs into visual respentations to help people understand it a bit better.

I am not entirely sure if I nailed it, but I did the best I could trying to translate the information into visuals. Let me know what you guys think either here or on the video. Be honest if I messed something up really bad, I may still be able to tweak the videos and reupload them.

Here is the video on PvP Power.

Here is the video on the resilience. ( This one was super simple but it helps explainer why resilience is always better than stamina, and how it scales.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw someone on AJ say that TG Fury Warriors won't get any additional benefit from wielding another pvp power weapon.

there is no source, but I dunno... Sounds legit, but take it with a grain of salt I guess.

I feel like blizzard went completely overkill with this though. I get that they want to make pve gear less attractive for pvp, but it seems to me like they turned "less attractive" into "useless". On the one hand, you can argue that people should be pvping in pvp gear, just as pvers are expected to use pve gear for raids or whatever. My question is, what does this mean for people gearing up for pvp?

I'll use your 2 warrior example to illustrate what I mean.

Warrior 1 is an endgame raider. He has 0% resilience and 0% power.
    Warrior 2 is a pvper. He has 65% resilience and 30% power (numbers I have taken from my 85 rogue in last season pvp gear and pve weapons)

Warrior 1 hits warrior 2 for 35 damage.
    Warrior 2 hits warrior 1 for 130 damage.

Warrior 1 is only 27% as powerful as Warrior 2. He's basically useless in a pvp environment. He'll get destroyed, and won't be able to kill anyone at all.

Isn't this going too far? I leveled a warlock to 85 a couple of days ago, and I'm experiencing this first hand, and I gotta say, it isn't pretty, to the point where I don't even want to do battlegrounds to gear up. Are we expected to farm heroics and convert justice into honor to gear up for pvp, or perhaps leech in bgs for a couple of weeks?

It gets even more ridiculous when you add healers to the equation, even in a proper pvp gear vs pvp gear setting.

Warrior 1 has 30% power
    Warrior 2 has 65% resilience
    Priest has 30% power. He heals warrior 2.

Warrior 1 hits for 130 (100x1.3)
    Warrior 2 takes 45.5 damage (130x0.35)
    Priest heals warrior for 130 (100x1.3)

This isn't even factoring in armor and defensive abilities. 1 heal is worth almost 3 attacks. Why is it logical for a healer to be worth 3 dps in pvp? How do you kill a healer without chain ccing him? It's obviously impossible to simply burn them down unless you have 3-4 people. What does this mean for 2v2 and 3v3 brackets in arena?

Resilience already makes heals vastly more powerful in pvp, but then as if that isn't enough, blizzard decides, "hey lets make healers heal for more in pvp". They have a very strange concept of balance.
    Last edited by Archaeon; 2012-09-14 at 10:54 AM. Reason: math

Good videos Anbraxas, however you should know that fury warriors can no longer gain a PVP Power advantage over other players. After I made the guide Blizzard added a "Unique" tag to the PVP Power on two handed weapons, meaning that a fury warrior can equip two, but will only get the PVP power from one. Humans however still have a roughly 1000 PVP Power advantage over everyone else as of right now.

Another change that has taken place since I wrote the guide is that PVP Power now grants it's healing advantage anywhere but dungeons and raids, so it does work in world PVP. Both of these changes along with anything else that changes between now and release will be reflected in the first revision of my guide which I have scheduled for a little bit after Mists launches.

Thanks again for making these videos and for crediting me as a source, I have unfortunately had unscrupulous individuals attempt to plagiarize my guides in the past, so it always makes me happy to see fellow content authors with integrity.
    @EldacarJS - Warcraft PVP Enthusiast, Theorycrafter, and Blizzard PVP Forum MVP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    Interesting point of view
    I don't know about you, but I always buy or craft the blue PvP set before starting PvP on a new toon. Always, for some baseline PvP defense/power, so my first steps aren't seeing myself get absolutely crushed