The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

1.3.8 Performance Fix

I was going to post about this a couple of days ago, because when I logged on Monday my game was in the Stone Age. It was choppy, unresponsive, and miserable to try and play. I had just renewed my sub for raiding purposes and was about to add more fuel to my distate of EA fire.

The reason I'm starting this thread, is to determine if anyone else had this problem. I normally play on high settings and even on the lowest possible (Btw, the game looks worse than KotOR on those settings) it was god awful.

Does anyone know what kinds of craziness they could do to break something so seriously? My first guess is something to do with the optimization code relating to certain gpus/cpus. I have a Radeon card and I just updated to the highest beta drivers that were released to coincide with GW2. (no beta drivers didn't cause the problem on their own)

Anyone else had the issue? Glad to see it was enough vocal people that they fixed it quickly. It was beyond game breaking.

Yes, 1.3.7 introduced performance issue for many people including myself (I have an ATI video card as well). I believe it had something to do with the patch and nothing to do with your own computer. I used to have to cap my FPS to keep it from overworking the video card by rendering too many frames prior to 1.3.7. After that patch it would play at 15-20 FPS rendering the game unplayable. Glad they fixed it, not sure I would've tolerated it much longer if they let it slide.

Same here, the FPS dropped by around 50% in the open areas, and I didn't understand why. It was still playable, but not ideal. Haven't really played much since. Is it really fixed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Is it really fixed?
    Yes, back like nothing ever happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I did not experience this at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't even know what kind of issue would cause something so serious, but if it was specific cards or setups it would be useful information. If everyone affected had an ATI card, that would be a start.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use nvidia if that will be useful in any way. I did not get the performance issue.

Biggest difference I can see is how much my video card is being used now at about 87% comfortably being capped at 60 FPS while it was 56% before the fix at 15-20 FPS. There were a few Nvidia users that had performance issues, but the overwhelming majority that posted on the CSR forum with performance issues had ATI cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    but the overwhelming majority that posted on the CSR forum with performance issues had ATI cards.
    This makes sense then. I'm guessing they coded ATIs to pretend like they were integrated gpus and crap out. I didn't see the thread that was posted, I might have to take a look at it. Just never understand how such a monumental error happens.

It was literally game breaking. Very glad they were on the ball though.

I have never had performance issues with the game. For a while the trees randomly looked terrible, but other than that I am able to play on ultra with no lag issues, on a two+ year old computer.

I have an ATI card, again no issues.