Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    See, that's the thing though...at one point in time I did PvP on a regular basis...I was never amazing, but I was fairly good...I suffered through not having gear, and as I got closer to being well geared I started being able to beat players with better gear than me...and when I was well geared I usually survived/won ~75% of the time...so sure, gear's not everything, but when gear is a factor, it's a non-negligible factor, which makes the gearing process tedious at best--which is why I don't PvP at the moment in gear based games.
    I'm in exactly the same boat. Pretty much word for word.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I'm not a raider, I'm into PvP but the PvP in GW2 becomes pointless for me after while when the novelty wears off since doing the same stuff over and over again for nothing gets old.
    Wait a second.
    "Doing the same stuff over and over again for nothing".

Er.. You are not doing it for nothing. You are doing it for the fun of PvPing. And i doubt you are Rank 100+ yet. You have titles, gear skins and everything else. The only thing you don't have it's item progression. You won't get stronger, you will get better.

GW2 PvP is pretty much like an FPS game: Everyone is the same, the player with better skill wins.

It might not be for everyone, but you can't claim that there is nothing to do there. Play some Tournaments, get some friends and try some REAL organized PvP.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I think this is stretching it. Pretty much:

Grind Karma
    Grind Gold
    Grind sPvP
    Grind WvWvW
    Grind Legendaries
    Do fun stuff (This one can be expanded)

They should all just be solidified, tbh, but the rest is agreed with. There are plenty of things to do that just involve roaming the game world and finding neat little places. I would not have stretched the list out so much, personally.
    I think this is stretching it. Pretty much:
    Do stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    Er.. You are not doing it for nothing. You are doing it for the fun of PvPing.
    Unfortunately, some people can't have fun without numerically valuable extrinsic rewards.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    this is just an example of how they put 10 things in their list while is 1 thing..they can just say do sPVP..I am bored to bring all the examples here, but the list is not 80 things in no way..I can say in wow for example

play pvp
    get the gladiator chest
    get the gladiator leggings
    get the gladiator trinket

anyway, it is interesting though but it could be more solid and much smaller...

pvp
    grind gold
    dungeons
    grind gold
    achievements
    grind gold
    Remember when Anet said they wanted to make away with grinding? So do I.

Half of these things feel pointless and boring, nor would they last very long. The other half are just jokes, literally.
    If these are the reasons to be 80, then I'm afraid I feel they are very weak reasons.

My liking of GW2 has deflated and is lying limp on the floor. A 65 Guardian and a 30 Engineer, and I've lost all my incentive and will to play. I'm back playing WoW again.
    GW2 didn't manage to hold me for long. I guess others can enjoy it differently.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Unfortunately, some people can't have fun without numerically valuable extrinsic rewards.
    Which GW2 also has.
    And yes, such values add a sense of progression and purpose that I feel GW2 doesn't have.

Though I know you as a staunch defender of the game, and I doubt we'll ever do more than throw poo at each other about this.
    But I wonder if you can accept that I'm not disliking GW2 for any other reason than that I don't like it. Not because I'd be a supposed fan of you-know-what. Which I find is very tedious, getting accused of being narrow-minded and a fanboy, when I'm neither.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-09-14 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post

Half of these things feel pointless and boring, nor would they last very long. The other half are just jokes, literally.
    If these are the reasons to be 80, then I'm afraid I feel they are very weak reasons.

My liking of GW2 has deflated and is lying limp on the floor. A 65 Guardian and a 30 Engineer, and I've lost all my incentive and will to play. I'm back playing WoW again.
    GW2 didn't manage to hold me for long. I guess others can enjoy it differently.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:55 PM ----------

Which GW2 also has.
    And yes, such values add a sense of progression and purpose that I feel GW2 doesn't have.

Though I know you as a staunch defender of the game, and I doubt we'll ever do more than throw poo at each other about this.
    But I wonder if you can accept that I'm not disliking GW2 for any other reason than that I don't like it. Not because I'd be a supposed fan of you-know-what. Which I find is very tedious, getting accused of being narrow-minded and a fanboy, when I'm neither.
    Mandatory grinds. No need to play constantly because the game is the game is the game. That's what they said before, and that's what they delivered. It's not their fault that people think "oh, there's an [optional!] grind, they lied".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Mandatory grinds. No need to play constantly because the game is the game is the game. That's what they said before, and that's what they delivered. It's not their fault that people think "oh, there's an [optional!] grind, they lied".
    ^this

They wanted to do away with mandatory grinds. They also rather specifically wanted to do away with "Grinds that you must do in order to get to what you want to do"

If you believed they were going to do away with grind period, you didn't do your research. You're also looking at the wrong genre.

Well grind is not optional I am afraid..in this logic, any grind is optional in any game. When you need tons of karma for a single piece of exotic gear it is grind..when you need 60+runs in hard mode dungeon to get a set of gear is a grind like in other games..sure you can play with green gear at 80 if you like, but same thing apply to any MMO

And everything needs gold..I stepped into WvW to do some pvp, dies and need to play repairs? I managed to get 2 gold and 30 silver in level 60 and used 2 gold in a book. To travel in the world I need 1+ silver for each waypoint. If I die in pvp I pay 1+silver. To skill up my crafting profession, except all the materials I need to grind, I also need to pay silvers on the vendor to turn my iron into steel e.t.c. The grind is no way optional, or to say better, is not more optional than any other MMO.

I don't say I will quit because of this, and sometimes I like grind when I have an ultimate goal but the game now is live and some big lies need to be buried in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I remember too and this is one of those lies that there is no need to be repeated now that we all play and know the game Nor I can fool my self and see it as any different from other MMOs grind
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-09-14 at 11:01 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

All that fallacy about "no end game" is so annoying.
    Guild Wars 1 had less stuff to do in Prophecies than GW2 now.

I have over 4000 hours of Guild Wars.

Never spent a single night without something to do in that game.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.