[Guardian] Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration.

Hey guys,

Real quick question, i trolled up and down the forums here but couldn't find a direct answer:

When would I not want to use Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration in group situations? Strikes me that 40% boost to those incoming heals for 6seconds between SD upkeep (specially for magic damage) would be much more appealing. Plus the healing it does unglyphed isn't even that catching IMO. Not for 60 rage at least.

Raid example: Boss falls back to do a huge AoE or just single target nuke that can't be dodged. You pre-pop glyphed FR whilst all the healers prepare to throw you some burst heals and it's all sunshine?

Someone told me Vengence does multiply the unglyphed heal but in my experience healers tend to keep you well topped off anyway, so using this glyphed smartly seems like a really good option

Also love using Centurion Ward on myself when i pop Glyphed FR

Thanks in advance for your input.

PS; well played blizz.
    "Oh, we're bringing out a new hybrid class! But we want loads of people to play it long term so it seems like a success....Oh, I know, let's break druids! Then they'll all reroll" *Evil blizzard boardroom laugh*.

10+ Year Old Account
    The glyph makes Frenzied Regeneration always consume 60 rage. Without it, you can use it with any amount of rage for a partial heal. It is also not totally clear how well the heal will scale at 90th. And lastly, I for one like being able to heal myself when the healers are otherwise occupied.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I'd say you'd want to toy around with it for different fights. Unglyphed is pretty solid for steady damage while glyphed is great for burst as you said. While currently healers may keep you topped off from spamming heals and trying to snipe for meters, they are not going to have that luxury in t14 where mana will be tough. Every extra heal will extend your raid group's individual soft enrage of healers going OOM. That being said you have to weigh the benefits of 6 seconds of say healing wave spam for efficiency being boosted by 40% or the same 6 seconds of HW + your FR. The glyphs bonus could be extended through tossing on hots during the buff as well. On the flipside though giving healers that extra second or two to cast a slower stronger heal will be more efficient than dipping low and needing a quick spammy heal.

IMO in the end it's all about how you and your healers communicate and interact.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25m 8/8H recruiting for MoP!
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/kardone

Quote Originally Posted by Flashes View Post
    When would I not want to use Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration in group situations? Strikes me that 40% boost to those incoming heals for 6seconds between SD upkeep (specially for magic damage) would be much more appealing. Plus the healing it does unglyphed isn't even that catching IMO. Not for 60 rage at least.

Someone told me Vengence does multiply the unglyphed heal but in my experience healers tend to keep you well topped off anyway, so using this glyphed smartly seems like a really good option
    What you're experience is a combination of severe over-gearing and Cataclysm scaling, all of which will disappear when you hit 90. I could delve into every little aspect, but the simple answer is that we're nowhere near balanced at 85.

Keeping that in mind, when you hit 90 and start gearing up to tank, the one thing you're going to notice (regardless of tank) is that we're going to be purely avoiding less and resource generation for using our active mitigations (or the size/frequency) will be much lower. Healers will need to heal more frequently, and they will have more mana constraints.

I'll take a minute to say that glyph of FR will be a personal preference, because you're not likely going to have the choice of having both SD and FR with high up-times. The up-side of Glyph of FR is that it can be strategically used for when healers can react ahead of time. The down-side is that it costs 60 rage at all times. Rage generation early in the MoP expansion certainly does not lend to so much rage that you can keep SD on cooldown and pop glyphed FR whenever you want: you will likely have to sacrifice SD up-time to ensure you have the rage to use glyphed FR (which leads to likely more damage taken in the end). Unglyphed FR has the benefit of being usable at any rage level, as the heal scales proportionally with he rage used. Also, unglyphed FR can help healers out so they can worry about something other than the tank, or if they might have trouble keeping up the heals, during a known spike damage phase for the tank.

Another aspect that you mentioned was the size of the heal from FR. Yes, at 85 on live, the heal is pretty pathetic unless you've just sustained a lot of damage (FR heals after an Hour of Twilight or Impale are pretty massive). Our FR heal is supposed to scale to the content (as are all the Vengeance-scaling abilities for tanks), and DS wasn't designed with this in mind, and doing DS with the 35% debuff aura just makes Vengeance levels more pitiful. Therefore, you'll see very underwhelming results most of the time, until you hit those tank-killer mechanics that boost our Vengeance. The dungeons/raids at 90 were designed with the Vengeance scaling in mind, so those abilities should scale better at 90.

Again, whether you glyph FR or not is a personal preference, and it likely should be discussed with your healers. Glyph of FR really shines if you're going to take an extended period of damage that cannot be avoided (since you'll likely not have the rage to self-heal via FR constantly). Unglyphed FR shines when you take the occasionally huge shot to your HP and can prepare/heal up, or if the spike damage is not very predictable but spaced out.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Thanks for the input guys.

Good examples and I think I have a clearer grasp on it's situational use.

For now pre-MoP I think I'll keep it glyphed.

Then since I can't comment on the numbers nor rage generation in MoP I couldn't say when I'd glyph it but It'd certainly be on the discussion table between raid fights.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 06:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I for one like being able to heal myself when the healers are otherwise occupied.
    ^This!
    Plus our CW and other survivability cds

Get a Disc Priest tank healing you, and have him/her get a Power Aura for tracking your Glyphed FR. They can bubble you whenever its up, and the bubble will be 40% stronger. This will lead to you taking MUCH less damage throughout a fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    in current eng game content, you have around 12 rage per second at that point it is indeed a good choice to use the glypth as you can like rotate both SR and FR,
    i often find myzelf with SD on cooldown and almsot capping my rage. this is a perfect moment ot use FR

also if you find yourself at like 10 rage per second you can use SD and thne once yo uhave only 20 rage use the unglypthed version so you do heal yourself for like 15K but still keep SD up as much as possiable

personaly for 5 mans id never use the glypth as there is only 1 healer healing you and with that glpythyou basicly have 1.4 healers healing you
    however in a raid evironment where there are like 2.5 healers healing you it can easly be if you get healed by 3.5 healers
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    it does work quite well, i used it on spine for example when the amalg had 9 stacks and was hitting pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak-qt View Post
    it does work quite well, i used it on spine for example when the amalg had 9 stacks and was hitting pretty hard.

That's a moment for SD. Glyphed FR should be used during intense phases of Magical Damage, or for mechanics that can't be dodged.

As a side note, I'm planning to attempt to take an Impale with just Glyphed FR, a Disc Bubble, and Spirit Shell. Should make for some very funny Disc HPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    That's a moment for SD. Glyphed FR should be used during intense phases of Magical Damage, or for mechanics that can't be dodged.

As a side note, I'm planning to attempt to take an Impale with just Glyphed FR, a Disc Bubble, and Spirit Shell. Should make for some very funny Disc HPS.
    the fire dmg from the amalg hurts :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post

I dont know hitting FR for a 640K heal right after impale is pretty fun to...............
    Victoria Aut Mors

15+ Year Old Account
    Frenzy regeneration is just awsome as it is, not often uses but when you use it its great. it adds a nice twist to skills and rotation
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Oak-qt View Post
    the fire dmg from the amalg hurts :P

... You do realize that the pulse fire aoe hits for about 20% of what an Amalg melees for at 9 stacks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    in current eng game content, you have around 12 rage per second at that point it is indeed a good choice to use the glypth as you can like rotate both SR and FR,
    i often find myzelf with SD on cooldown and almsot capping my rage. this is a perfect moment ot use FR

also if you find yourself at like 10 rage per second you can use SD and thne once yo uhave only 20 rage use the unglypthed version so you do heal yourself for like 15K but still keep SD up as much as possiable

personaly for 5 mans id never use the glypth as there is only 1 healer healing you and with that glpythyou basicly have 1.4 healers healing you
    however in a raid evironment where there are like 2.5 healers healing you it can easly be if you get healed by 3.5 healers
    I really doubt we'll actually have that much rage generation while gearing up.
    In which case we'll be looking at rage efficiency which at the moment is difficult to test because everything is outgeared.

And the thing is you'll generally have only 1 or 2 healers focusing on you; especially if there's raid damage at the same time, so that point about healer multiplication is much less applicable.
    Also because Frenzied Regen scales with AP the unglyphed version will improve vastly in the case of any high tank damage.
    I'm not entirely sure on the scaling here on whether or not the scaling is high enough that it'll be better unglyphed but in an extreme case such as Impale on H Madness, I get over 130k vengeance and frenzied regen heals me about 350k.
    I would intentionally have my healers ignore me after an impale because I had a spammable Lay on Hands.
    It's entirely possible that a fight with high tank damage with also have moderate to high raid damage and the ability to take healer attention of yourself during these times with the unglyphed version is a benefit that can't be ignored.