Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soloing Your Personal Story?

Are you supposed to be able to solo your entire personal story? I've had a few that I barely got through on the skin of my teeth and that was after zerging the last enemies. I'm currently on my elementalist Norn story against Vidkun and his Dragon (both elites and at same time) and I'm having a hell of a time. Vidkun is immune to all CC and my NPC backup isn't much help.

Is it just my class (squishy cloth wearer) or are these not meant to be soloed?

As a norn elementalist i could solo everything apart from that one quest. I don't know why, but I found it impossible and beat my head against it until my friend offered to help. Even then we had a little bit of trouble. Once you clear that you can do everything else, but try and find a guildy or friend just to get you past it.

I managed to complete my personal story solo, as an Asuran Theif.

Some parts of it, are really tough, but Theives get an Elite skill that summons 2 NPCs to help fight with you, plus a trap that can summon a third. It seems that enemie NPC always zooms in on any NPCs you summon, as I very rarely loose agro to the NPCs that I summon, but the story NPCs can't hold agro for anything.

If you can't summon anything to help you, try using weakness, since that means the enemies dealing 50% less damage, or try to give yourself protection and you take 33% less damage yourself.

Other than Zhaitan, yes.

I'll try swapping out my equipment for more "toughness"/"vitality equipment as well as pop some of the pots I got from chests that reduce damage by 5% and see if that helps. If not, I'll try and get some good samaritans to group with. Or maybe just progress to the next zone and get some better equipment and come back. Hopefully the level downgrading that you get hit with in lower zones doesn't affect those stats.

Which brings up an idea I had. I understand the need to downgrade your level when you are questing in low level zones but they should waive that when you enter your personal story instance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal story is pretty ridiculous at times. But yes, it's supposed to be soloable. Yelling, cursing and swaring seems to be part of the equation there.

As elementalist I'd recommend going for survival stats and doing the later levels of your quest in earth. I's much easier. Personal story with glas cannon build = hell.

Or maybe just progress to the next zone and get some better equipment and come back. Hopefully the level downgrading that you get hit with in lower zones doesn't affect those stats.
    It does. But My gear is usually 10 to 20 levels BEHIND my character level. That means when I'm doing a quest that's for level 60 i stand there with the stats of a level 50 or 4x char. No wonder it's hell at times.

Yeah it can be a challenge, as a Thief I would just apply my bleeds, vanish, kite and dodge lots.

Personal story was one of the most fun things in this game, although it doesn't get good till around lvl 40-50.

For Ele, I have found the Elemental Summons to be a huge help in the personal story. I usually do Greater Earth and regular Water (Water will help keep your Earth alive), just make sure the summon is 100% complete before changing attunements. Dual Elites are always a good challenge, and really require a lot of movement (+vigor traits are useful) and attunement swapping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It does. But My gear is usually 10 to 20 levels BEHIND my character level. That means when I'm doing a quest that's for level 60 i stand there with the stats of a level 50 or 4x char. No wonder it's hell at times.
    Usually gear is freaking cheap on the tp(seriously, a lot goes for barely over vendor price). You can usually get a full set of green armor+weaps+accessories, rings and amulet for 10-20 silver or go for blue for even less.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    For Ele, I have found the Elemental Summons to be a huge help in the personal story.
    Agreed. proivate tank FTW. ^^

Usually gear is freaking cheap on the tp(seriously, a lot goes for barely over vendor price). You can usually get a full set of green armor+weaps+accessories, rings and amulet for 10-20 silver or go for blue for even less.
    Guess I'm to used to WoWs absurd prices to even get the idea of buying gear in the TP.

Speaking of which: Any idea how to get the 10G for the grandmaster book? I'm 67 and have 4G 50S <_<

Yea, PS is soloable. Couple things to mention; 1. Make sure you're at least at the minimum level of the PS step. 2. Bring the right skills/weapons for the step.

Number one is obvious but sometimes players mistake the PS as linear questing. It is not. Number two is a bit trickier but also obvious when you consider how the game works. "Builds" in GW2 are more situational such as in Rift or Secret World than long term ala WoW or Aion. Be smart about how you approach the PS steps- they are essentially puzzles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to hear that you don't have to find dungeon groups for your personal story, I was unsure if they play a role in your PS sooner or later.

But one question: How can you help someone on his/her PS? I was in the same group and zone yesterday, but I wasn't even asked if I want to enter the same instance. But I'm pretty sure that I've helped someone a week ago, but I can't say that we did something different yesterday.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Agreed. proivate tank FTW. ^^

Guess I'm to used to WoWs absurd prices to even get the idea of buying gear in the TP.

Speaking of which: Any idea how to get the 10G for the grandmaster book? I'm 67 and have 4G 50S <_<
    dude its 2g XD

OT: Yeah, had issues with a single quest because i chose help the skritt but other than that smooth sailing as an elementalist glass cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Good to hear that you don't have to find dungeon groups for your personal story, I was unsure if they play a role in your PS sooner or later.

But one question: How can you help someone on his/her PS? I was in the same group and zone yesterday, but I wasn't even asked if I want to enter the same instance. But I'm pretty sure that I've helped someone a week ago, but I can't say that we did something different yesterday.
    If in the same zone & party as someone who enters their PS instance a summons should pop-up. Maybe this person didn't enter a PS instance [not all are] or you weren't in the same zone exactly. Short of those bug possibly.

Deleted
    You need to be close enough to be asked to enter - to be sure, stand right next to them. Although up till now I too had one single instance where I couldn't help a friend with one stage of his PQ (but it worked like a charm for everything else from 3-80). So maybe you're having a similar bug there..

10+ Year Old Account
    My ranger has had relatively smooth sailing so far, although I suppose that's not saying much. A few quests have been difficult, but nothing impossible yet. Even managed to avoid the Whispers bugs and the Fort Trinity bugs. Haven't tried helping anyone on theirs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Other than Zhaitan, yes.
    And this does not make any sense. Your personal story is basically a single player adventure, but you need to do a 5 man dungeon to actually finish it? There's nothing personal about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    You need to be close enough to be asked to enter - to be sure, stand right next to them. Although up till now I too had one single instance where I couldn't help a friend with one stage of his PQ (but it worked like a charm for everything else from 3-80). So maybe you're having a similar bug there..
    Thanks for the answers. Yes, I was in the same zone but perhaps one or two minutes away. Will hold hand next time!
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I ended up in my undies on more than one occassion in my personal story as an Ele.

Quote Originally Posted by Caylis View Post
    I ended up in my undies on more than one occassion in my personal story as an Ele.
    did you use the staff ? everything else just makes it harder XD