Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Black Lion Trading Company - great auction house or the greatest auction house?

I have played more MMOs than I like to admit and Black Lion Trading Company is hands down the best auction house in gaming. As well as the rest of the game is made, the amount of thought that went into the auction house seems huge. I personaly think the combination of cross server AH and the ability to set your own purchase price is just what MMO economy needed for long term success. With the most sold and bought views, as well as sell history, there has never been a better AH for those who play it as a large portion of the game.

GW2 does some things right and some things wrong, but the auction house is revolutionary in depth and information. I really hope future games take notice, because this is how an AH is done right.

I'm surprised there isn't more attention to how awsome it is. I rarely start threads, but the AH is so good, I want to hear others input. Espeacialy if it's negative! Let me know the pitfalls I'm missing in my cloud of joy.

yeah it's really good. I like it; not mention that we can pre-order stuffs in the trading post. the only thing that's missing from the trading post is the preview. we cant right click and preview the weapons & armors, dyes, etc.

I think it is ok and only that. It have some fatal flaws in the sorting. They need to add more so you can choose what type of armor (medium and similar) and not just the slot it goes into. Also the sorting for upgrade component > weapon is flawed since it shows upgrades that goes into amulets.
    Last edited by vagoo; 2012-09-15 at 03:17 PM.

Reminds me of the Grand Exchange on Runescape.

Sorting could be better, as a previous poster said. I do not want to sift through hundreds of cloth pieces of armor while looking for a piece of plate, thanks. Preview is apparently on the way. Another thing I find annoying is that it doesn't search for partial words, and that it searches for each word separately. If I search "Superior rune of dwayna" it will give me every result that includes "Superior" "Rune" "Of" or "Dwayna". I'm sorry, why? Sure it prioritizes items that has more similar words, but that is still VERY silly. Anyways, simultaneously the best and worst AH I've used in a while.. yay!

10+ Year Old Account
    It lacks quite a lot of things, like preview. But besides that it's great, especially being able to sell an item straight away.

Yep it is up there with Eve's AH as one of the better ones. Eve's is still 'the greatest' though.

I think it's a great start, just a couple of minor things to be sorted still. So I'll say it will eventually be the greatest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vagoo View Post
    I think it is ok and only that. It lacks some fatal flaws in the sorting. They need to add more so you can choose what type of armor (medium and similar) and not just the slot it goes into. Also the sorting for upgrade component > weapon is flawed since it shows upgrades that goes into amulets.
    I noticed those, but it's easy to sort around it after realizing what was going on. Like upgrades, they get better only around a few specific levels. So you can confine the search to that level and won't see many amulet upgrades, if any. With gear, at least when it's crafted, I've just remembered that heavy appears first, than light, than medium. It's not ideal in those regards, but I don't think it's fatal.

Arena net seems to be on top of fixes, so I bet this gets sorted out soon. I think upto last week, setting the level range did nothing. Works fine now...

Deleted
    The "order" concept is absolutely brilliant (even WoW is talking about using that, according to the AMA), I really liked it. It just needs more filter options, like people said. The only problems with the TP atm are caused by people zerging it, posting stuff as cheap as possible without realizing they're losing money. Yet, this phenomena can be partially blamed on ArenaNet for the extensive TP down time that caused such a massive influx of stock materials (the good ole' Supply and Demand elasticity curve).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    If I search "Superior rune of dwayna" it will give me every result that includes "Superior" "Rune" "Of" or "Dwayna".
    Did you have it in quotes when searching? It might be like web searches, requiring quotes to search for the complete phrase. I have not had this problem, too noob to search names.

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    The "order" concept is absolutely brilliant (even WoW is talking about using that, according to the AMA), I really liked it. It just needs more filter options, like people said. The only problems with the TP atm are caused by people zerging it, posting stuff as cheap as possible without realizing they're losing money. Yet, this phenomena can be partially blamed on ArenaNet for the extensive TP down time that caused such a massive influx of stock materials (the good ole' Supply and Demand elasticity curve).
    I am not giving away my spot, but look for items with cheaper buy prices and high sell prices. I order stuff on low, than resell it on the instant buy tab. Zerging is working in my favor, because those few thousand ahead of me on low bid, are zerged by thousands who provide goods at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Did you have it in quotes when searching? It might be like web searches, requiring quotes to search for the complete phrase. I have not had this problem, too noob to search names.
    Quotes invalidate any word they touch, so it reduces the search to "Rune" and "Of"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Quotes invalidate any word they touch, so it reduces the search to "Rune" and "Of"
    Oh, that does suck. Hope Arena net is on it.

It's good but has a few sorting issues. Also the inability to modify your price without relisting makes selling potentially very expensive. The fees also make buying/reselling a very risky game. But as far as its ability to get you what you want or help you sell what you don't, it's extremely effective. Second best AH I've encountered, second of course to Jita in EVE.

One of the great features is being able to access the Trading Post from anywhere in the world. Right click an item for a Buy more from Trading Post option, put in buy orders for items, sell some of those nice drops you just got off a world boss or outright purchase. Super slick.

Only time I have to actually go back to the Trading Post is to pick up stuff. Nice there's a few TPs located in far outposts, they aren't everywhere but I've found a couple.

I'd like to see preview options as well.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    It's good but has a few sorting issues. Also the inability to modify your price without relisting makes selling potentially very expensive. The fees also make buying/reselling a very risky game. But as far as its ability to get you what you want or help you sell what you don't, it's extremely effective. Second best AH I've encountered, second of course to Jita in EVE.
    I missed out on Eve, it's too complicated and am not a fan of space combat. I'll read up on their AH, judging by replies it was pretty damn awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'd wager it has a lot less to do with the downtime and more to do with the insane availability of a lot of those items. There's been what, like 15 million Soft Wood Logs posted to the TP already? At every level you can find Yellow gear of pretty much every type and stat distribution for really low prices as well...and the low prices aren't just because "people are dumb and sell things too cheap", it's because there's already 492 of them listed and not selling.
    I haven't found yellow gear for cheap, but I've seriously bought like 4 full sets of green/blue gear for like 10 copper (after I resell them to the npc I get a net loss of 10 copper). Ok I had to spend a couple of gems, but that is a different story. How can anyone complain about cheap prices, seriously?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do i appear boring if i answer a second to the OP?

Bro, TP IS NOT AN AH. AH means you can BID. You put an exotic weapon on sell, and buyers fight to buy it, growing the final price.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction
    ^
    THIS, is make money from a lucky drop / recipe result. Ops, we don't have it

What you see is just trade channel moved to a graphic interface, so we don't have anymore like GW1 the so much hated WTS WTB spam on chat, arriving on an outpost / main city.

The globalization interserver has just 1 thing good: you can buy everything you want from a desperate lowerselling. No grind.
    This is the famous NO GRIND theory of Arenanet. But i still have fun reading on this forum how most of you truly believe what anet stated saying "This game will not be grind-based" meant you will not have to play for months/ years to get your special desire (an entire token armor, a legendary).

The bad thing of the TP? You don't have any market nor satisfaction to get something. An exotic drops? The excitement slows down when you cannot use it. But hey, i can sell it! Ops, your weapon is sold yet by 300 other players, fighting to the lower price. Well, i guess it's better if you throw your 40s exotic inside the mystic forge hoping on your luck, or just send them to your alt

Now tell me if you still enjoy your TP. Did i dismantle your cloud of joy?
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-09-15 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I don't like is how the pricing is 100% fucked up for most items. People are selling it so low that they should just be vendoring it, and don't even realize it.

Worst part is, I can't just go to a different server to find a better economy. This is it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, just to add