Fun times in Dreamdark Enclave.

So, I currently have about two and a half hours worth of footage of myself (and later, a handful of random other people who were doing it also) attempting to get the achievement in Dreamdark Enclave. Anyone who doesn't know of this achievement, it's a jumping puzzle that's available after finishing the puzzle in Morgan's Spiral. All in all, the puzzle isn't that difficult, once you get past the roaming pats that will swarm and murder you, the dozens of turrets and death traps you have to avoid, and the game's insistence on assuming I hit my roll key when I didn't...right off a cliff. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Honestly, what contributed to about 85% of my deaths was one particular spot, and I'm willing to bet anyone who's done the achievement knows what spot I'm talking about. During this two hour stint, we fondly nicknamed it: the Doom Shroom. It's one particular mushroom that hangs at an odd angle near the top of the puzzle that, unless you jump in a specific way and have a lot of momentum built up, you're going to get a face full of shroom and fall to your death.

I died. A lot.

I never sucked this bad at Mario. At least, I think. I was three at the time, though, so my recollections are foggy.

Speaking of Mario, I decided to cut some of that footage into an interesting little homage to the Doom Shroom and its residence, set to Super Mario Bros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDuN-jbV7qc

Mock at your leisure. I'm sure I deserve it. I still wound up enjoying myself in spite of all of it. I'll give ArenaNet some credit -- it's rare to find a game that makes me want to kiss a developer and murder them in equal amounts.

Enjoyed the video actually, and yeah finding this place (I stumbled across it knowing it was a jumping puzzle before I even found Morgan's Spiral just by keeping my eyes to the sky in the wrong place), I enjoyed doing this one. Didn't have anywhere near as much trouble with the Doom-Shroom as you did, but it got me a couple times at least.

Love the montage, music though. Good feel and good for a couple laughs.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

"The spot" has an easy solution so that you can avoid having perfect timing etc. and give yourself a little margin of error (possible spoilers):

"That mushroom's stem is nearly horizontal and leveled, so you can just jump onto that first, then easily jump onto the mushroom."

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved this video. That place kills me every time. At some point I'll get past it. Also, I don't think it's momentum, I think it's aiming for the edge as opposed to the middle, like you do every time you don't proclaim momentum.

Yea it's just you gotta hit that sliver of an edge in order to make it to that shroom. I honestly only died to it once, I didn't know it was so difficult O_o

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenn View Post
    "The spot" has an easy solution so that you can avoid having perfect timing etc. and give yourself a little margin of error (possible spoilers):

"That mushroom's stem is nearly horizontal and leveled, so you can just jump onto that first, then easily jump onto the mushroom."

Yup that's the easiest way. I prefer it the other way though, just jumping from the furthest leftest side of the mushroom and just kinda "floating" on over to the mushroom. Many ways it can be done. Also love the video. I completed the puzzle,came back, and sat on that mushroom watching everyone fall. Good lulz.

haha, lovely video. Nice editing.
    Makes me want to challenge my /deaths. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahaha Great video, uber fun I wish it was possible to change ingame sounds, i was going to put the supermario jump sound when i press spacebar

Quote Originally Posted by Lenn View Post

...I must test this after work.

Inc another two hours of deaths, probably. ; ;

10+ Year Old Account
    Just go with someone, who will be your rezzer, downstair. He just need to keep killing respawn. Don't wear any armor, during the jumping phase. This is the big secret of this JP Repair cost = 0 coppers

(your buddy will cover you until you restart, obiouvsly beware of flowers, keep your good weapons, or just run away from them, quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Just go with someone, who will be your rezzer, downstair. He just need to keep killing respawn. Don't wear any armor, during the jumping phase. This is the big secret of this JP Repair cost = 0 coppers

(your buddy will cover you until you restart, obiouvsly beware of flowers, keep your good weapons, or just run away from them, quickly)
    Death by fall damage actually doesn't damage your armor. Probably one of the things I am most happy about.

But yeah the stem was how I got through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nono, it's not the fall per se. It's the amount of enemies around who tend to pwn you, even when rezzed, so a buddy is suggested to kill em and rez ya, and without an armor. ( If scared to pay a repair, expecially with exotic armors)

I've yet to finish this one myself, but it's a great little puzzle. I still recall finishing the spiral part and saying "cool, I made it".. only to find the cave entrance and be like ".............."

Much shorter, but almost as fun is the Diezza (sp) Plateau one, simply because it's not immediately clear how to get to the skill point and vista.

I hear ya'll, I got a toon permanently parked on that shroom just to troll people with my /dance when I'm bored on my main.
    Last edited by 7empest; 2012-09-16 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    That jump is not so bad, you just have to jump and curve round the bottom of the shroom, rather than jump straight at it, You have a limited ability to alter your path in a jump whilst in the air, and this is one of the jumps where you need to do that.

That or a friendly mesmer who can do it and you are golden

Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post

I hear ya'll, I got a toon permanently parked on that shroom just to troll people with my /dance when I'm bored on my main.
    I want to say I hate you, but...my god I love that picture.

I'm also very tempted to do that on an alt, too. And collect footage of the carnage to make into another compilation. XD