Question Clueless about crafting

Hi guys and girls,

I recently started playing GW2 and I'm enjoying it immensly, however, I am completely clueless which crafting would suit my warrior and my engineer respectively - and how crafting really works, for that matter.

How many crafting skills can I have at the same time and does stuff like cooking count as a "main" crafting skill ?

Is armor/weapon smithing worth it ? I've seen some complaints specifically about them on this forum.

On my Charr, you don't really seem to see much of the trousers, does this change at higher levels/with new armor types or does it make armor smithing less appealing ?

I'd like to have some badass (looking) guns and pistols on my engineer, does weaponsmithing provide these - if so, how much "work"/"grind" is it compared to other awesome (looking) stuff (from dungeons, for badges or whatever) ?

Would be nice if some of you "veterans" could help me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Hi guys and girls,

I recently started playing GW2 and I'm enjoying it immensly, however, I am completely clueless which crafting would suit my warrior and my engineer respectively - and how crafting really works, for that matter.

How many crafting skills can I have at the same time and does stuff like cooking count as a "main" crafting skill ?

Is armor/weapon smithing worth it ? I've seen some complaints specifically about them on this forum.

On my Charr, you don't really seem to see much of the trousers, does this change at higher levels/with new armor types or does it make armor smithing less appealing ?

I'd like to have some badass (looking) guns and pistols on my engineer, does weaponsmithing provide these - if so, how much "work"/"grind" is it compared to other awesome (looking) stuff (from dungeons, for badges or whatever) ?

Would be nice if some of you "veterans" could help me out.
    I'm no expert myself, but I think I can help a little. You can have 2 crafting professions at a time, however I believe that if you drop a craft for another, then go back to the original craft later, you still have the recipes and level you had before (if someone else could confirm/tell me I'm talking out of my arse, would be great )

These are the crafts I know about
    Weaponsmithing = Swords, greatswords, hammers, maces, shields, tridents, spears (foci?)
    Huntsman= Rifles, pistols, longbows, shortbows, torches, spearguns, warhorns.
    Leatherworking = medium armour
    Tailoring = Light armour
    Armoursmithing = heavy armour.
    Jewelcrafting = amulets, accessories and the like. Gems can also be used in the upgrade slots on regular armour.
    Chef = food and dyes (as far as I know, don't have a chef yet myself).
    I haven't tried artificer on any of my chars yet.

Edit to add - I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people that can give you more detail/better info than I can
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    This really helped me to start out:
    http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwar...ost_35198.html

Edit: I know it doesn't really touch the subject of looks, but it does give you a good idea which crafting profs work well together. I know tailoring does have some awesome looking sets, though if you want something more unique you'll have to buy the dungeon gear anyway. If anything crafting helps you level up more smoothly and does get you upgrades more often than not (as crafted stuff always seems a little higher than quest rewards and drops).
    Last edited by mmoced25ca264a; 2012-09-17 at 10:47 AM.

1) You can have two active skills only however you can pay a small fee to reactivate a skill and deactivate another while keeping the same current level of skill in the deactivated crafting skill for when you reactivate it. Cooking does count within these skills.

2) Arguably you can craft the best heavy gear in the game via armorsmithing

3) If you mean cosmetically I have no clue (Tailor/Artificer/Cook myself)

4) Pistols and guns come from huntsman, weapon smiting is only melee weapons. I would also say it was less work to level a prof then it is to grind explorable dungeons but I'm not sure on the looks they're obviously subjective to personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopeh View Post
    This really helped me to start out:
    http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwar...ost_35198.html

Edit: I know it doesn't really touch the subject of looks, but it does give you a good idea which crafting profs work well together. I know tailoring does have some awesome looking sets, though if you want something more unique you'll have to buy the dungeon gear anyway. If anything crafting helps you level up more smoothly and does get you upgrades more often than not (as crafted stuff always seems a little higher than quest rewards and drops).
    Really helpful guide, thank you !

Deleted
    To answer some of your questions:

- You can have 2 crafting disciplines at a time and if you switch, your crafting lvls are saved.
    - It is worth it to have tailoring/leatherworking/armoursmithing as one of your disciplines, since you can craft bags for your character.
    - At lvl 80, weapon and armoursmithing disciplines can be relevant if you want to obtain rare/exotic weapons and armour in an easy way. However, the armor you create through crafting has a limited amount of stat distributions, so you might have to grind other armour sets to obtain the right stat distribution.
    - I believe you can find out which discipline crafts what in game by talking to the crafting trainers.

Used the wiki as a source for some of these answers. More information can be found here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Weaponsmithing = Swords, greatswords, hammers, maces, shields, tridents, spears, axes, daggers (foci?)
    Huntsman= Rifles, pistols, longbows, shortbows, torches, spearguns, warhorns.
    Leatherworking = medium armour, leather pouches
    Tailoring = Light armour, cloth bags
    Armoursmithing = heavy armour, metal boxes.
    Jewelcrafting = amulets, accessories, earrings, rings and the like. Gems can also be used in the upgrade slots on regular armour.
    Chef = food and dyes (as far as I know, don't have a chef yet myself).
    Artificer = Staves, tridents, scepters, and foci.
    Fixed the list up a bit for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Fixed the list up a bit for you.
    *cough*earringsgointheaccessoryslot*cough*
    Aha, I was wondering where staves and scepters and foci fit in - artificers.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    *cough*earringsgointheaccessoryslot*cough*
    Aha, I was wondering where staves and scepters and foci fit in - artificers.
    Yes, but accessories are more than just earrings, like, for example, a fishing lure. To my knowledge, jewelcrafters make specifically earrings - no other accessories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Really helpful guide, thank you !
    Ye, that one is one of the best guide all around.

Crafting is really not a big deal. Its not profitable, even at lv80 your profit margins are minimal.

It is essentially a means to convert gold into experience. You get about 10 levels worth of experience from 0 to 400. I am Huntsman/Cook, i couldve crafted that 2nd exotic pistol but it was honestly cheaper to buy it from the TP then buy the mats and put it together myself.

With that in mind, unless you are going for Legendaries, dont think to much into it. Its a nice way to get 20 levels, and as such its not a bad idea to pick two professions that dont share materials. Thats why i went Huntsman/Cook.