Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So first they discover the Mass Effect with the Higgs Boson . .

Now the Warp Drive.

What next? Two small children will be born next century, one named Shepard, the other named Kirk?
    We must prepare for the reaper invasion now! Before it's too late.. maybe we wont have to choose between RGB
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

so first they discover the mass effect with the higgs boson . .

Now the warp drive.

What next? Two small children will be born next century, one named shepard, the other named kirk?
    everyone get to iowa and start making babies!

Although wait. Is it the old Star Trek or new? Because in the new one the father dies young...

Something awesome that we might actually get to see this century if they can get the funding and scale up testing.

The problem is: the entire mainstream science is like a religion; dark matter is the best example of it.
    Maybe in the future, once the current science "priests" die; people will understand that we don't live in a gravity-ruled universe, but an electric universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklino View Post
    The problem is: the entire mainstream science is like a religion; dark matter is the best example of it.
    Maybe in the future, once the current science "priests" die; people will understand that we don't live in a gravity-ruled universe, but an electric universe.
    Hmmmm...very interesting thought. However, space and time will still be factors to consider.

Yesterday's Sci-Fi is today's reality; that's what I love about science.

Every awesome thing starts out as an idea.

I'm still waiting on my affordable hovercars though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Yesterday's Sci-Fi is today's reality; that's what I love about science.

Every awesome thing starts out as an idea.

I'm still waiting on my affordable hovercars though.
    I have given up on hover cars and would settle for self driven machines at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    I have given up on hover cars and would settle for self driven machines at this stage.
    Aren't they experimenting with them in California?

Made me check, and indeed they are!

http://rt.com/usa/news/self-driving-...alifornia-210/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Gonna make sure I have a crowbar..

just sayin'
    And no more talking.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by ducklino View Post
    How is that at all like religion? Nobody's saying we should take the existence of dark matter on faith. In my opinion people are too quick to try discrediting things they don't understand with straws.

but an electric universe.
    What does that mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody got my Event Horizon refrence >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

*yawn* Call me when we reach Ludicrous Speed.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    *yawn* Call me when we reach Ludicrous Speed.
    They've gone plaid!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    I'm taking bets that the first ship will leave the Universe and come back "alive".
    you can't leave, she won't let you

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Engage the Warp drive folks and share your thoughts.

http://news.discovery.com/space/warp...ss-120917.html

Important bits:

"He found in that case, the warp drive could be powered by a mass about the size of a spacecraft like the Voyager 1 probe NASA launched in 1977."

"The findings I presented today change it from impractical to plausible and worth further investigation," White told SPACE.com. "The additional energy reduction realized by oscillating the bubble intensity is an interesting conjecture that we will enjoy looking at in the lab."

"White and his colleagues have begun experimenting with a mini version of the warp drive in their laboratory.

They set up what they call the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer at the Johnson Space Center, essentially creating a laser interferometer that instigates micro versions of space-time warps."

Even though this is a great step, I reckon to achieve the kind of energy levels in question we will need to either achieve controlled fusion, discover some exotic material (aka dilithium crystals from start trek) or master energy production using matter-antimatter reaction? Nothing we have will still provide the mass-energy of a voyager sized craft.

Still, I am very happy they are working on this...

Engage the warp drive mr. Crusher !
    From that article it seems its at best one group of researchers just presenting their findings to NASA. No peer review of any kind done yet. I would suggest you people hold your horses for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    prepare for unforeseen consequences
    Yes. The experiment backfires, causing a black hole to form. We all get to experience the giant sucking sound for maybe a millisecond and are ripped asunder. Oh well, if you've got to go, go with a smile and take company with you, eh? [/joke and veiled references]

#FlightIsImportant

So they'd be creating a wormhole?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So first they discover the Mass Effect with the Higgs Boson . .

Now the Warp Drive.

What next? Two small children will be born next century, one named Shepard, the other named Kirk?
    If we start seeing evidence of aliens that use the name "Khan" or "KHAAAAAAAAAN"...

We're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    So they'd be creating a wormhole?
    From what I read it is more like creating a bubble around the craft and then outside of the bubble space is more dense behind it and less dense in front of it. Have you ever seen a vacuum tube in use? Seems like that.

Just like CERN did it once, those guys will destroy the earth a 2nd time.