Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why did blizzard choose this theme for its new expansion?

I am as hyped up at the expansion as the next wow fan but I feel like questioning the direction blizzard chose for it's expansion? "Why Panda's?" Is what comes to mind. Out of all of the themes and directions they could have gone with, (Emerald Dream, Ashara, Sargaras) Why did they go with pandaria?

From a selling point the mainstream gamerbase considered it's initial announcement to be a joke. I keep hearing about how MoP is for the kiddies and that it is a bad direction for the game. Keep in mind that the mainstream audience may not be aware of all the cool new stuff and are mostly jaded by "Kung Fu Panda Ripoff!" If blizzard was aware of stuff like this why did they risk everything on this theme?

Appealing to younger players doesn't make much sense either. What 12 year old would wanna play something with Pandas. He'd be more interested in "Mature" stuff. And most older gamers may still be blinded by the panda on the box. The Pet Battle system also give consumers the pokemon ripoff impression as wel

So my question is. Why go with a theme that had April fools roots and is currently being masked by guys at Dreamworks? Why not go with Ashara or something? This question has been bugging me for a while.

Because WoW needed a new continent. Something huge to explore with it's own new lore.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the OP, I have nothing against the Panda decision but it is a strange one..I just don't see it bringing new people in who have never played before.

Deleted
    I think it's because blizzard wants to gain more subs in Asia.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The question that bugs me is why people think that the Padarans were invented by the April Fools Day post.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Because WoW needed a new continent. Something huge to explore with it's own new lore.
    Doesn't pandaria have Niche appeal to mainstream gamers? I feel that if they went with a more gritty or tradition fantasy setting the gap would be smaller.

---------- Post added 2012-09-16 at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sacress View Post
    I hear people bring this up sometimes and as much as i am excited to get my CE I have to question it?

The Emerald Dream is pretty much done, there isn't enough content there to make a whole expansion.

Pandaren have been in wow lore for many years it isn't some april fools joke came to life.

It has nothing to do with kung fu panda and furthermore was not made for kids.

Clearly just another wow player that plays wow just to play and have no clue about its history or lore about factions.\

If you don't like pandas clearly you never played thru WC3. Pandas have been a favorite since before wow was even a game.\

I'm sure they felt if they finally introduce pandas it might save their sinking gold ship.
    Last edited by Injinjpow; 2012-09-16 at 04:30 PM.

I was wondering myself.
    I don't want to question it though, I trust that Blizzard is a smart company and they've been in this buisness longer than most others.
    People who call it Panda ripoff, or even the new Pet battle system "Pokémon" are people with really, super, amazingly flat personalitys. And are just trying to get a mainstream, somewhat dead joke out there.

I just think Blizzard got this idea from somewhere, decided that it sounded cool and went with it.
    Besides, pandas are in the lore, somewhere :P It's just not as big as the other ones you listed. But I'm curious myself, why this? Why now?

Deleted
    i think they chose it because... WOTLK... was banned or something in the ASIA... or somewhere there.. ( i mean the skeletons) and it came out later to them, so theyr pretty much sucking up.. if u ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Injinjpow View Post

Clearly just another wow player that plays wow just to play and have no clue about its history or lore about factions.
    And thank blizzard for that
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

OP seems to be complaining about a whole lot of nothing in my opinion.

A lot of items in question you seem to be nagging about have been requested for years now so it was only a matter of time.

Pandaria and the Panderan has been a part of Warcraft lore almost since the begining of the franchise. It allows them a massive continent to build on stuffing it with a ton (and i do mean a ton) of lore and things to do. Plus this is overlooked a lot, but people have been calling for Panderan as a playable race for a long time now. With your ideas of going with the Emerald Dream, Sargeras or Queen Azshara. The Emerald Dream/Nightmare has been pretty wrapped up in the novels other than the true source of the nightmare. Sargeras and the return of the Burning Legion is kind of too big for an expansion if that makes any sense. Queen Azshara might have been a good way to go, however the questing zone of Vashj'ir was really disliked. And an expansion around Azshara and her naga would likely involve a lot of underwater stuff which the community just flat out didnt enjoy. I think this is the right path for Blizzard to take, and for anyone who says its too childish never really looked at it or have tunnel vision and focusing on a single aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an adult. with many mature and adult friends.. we are all looking forward to this expansion, we know that the immature people are mainly the ones spreading misinformation or even complete lack of any as to why this xpac will fail. we took the time to look at all the videos that have been posted, we tried the beta, and we are all convinced there is hardly any similarities (a few yes, but no more then any other pop cultural references) with the movie.

why did blizzard choose this topic? not sure, prolly because it was asked for by lots of players for a few years now. or maybe it was they wanted a change of pace. maybe even to simply create some new lore. whatever it was, im glad they did it, and im glad i took the time to try things out instead of letting immature people make my decisions for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sacress View Post
    Just like adding Worgen in Cata was all a ploy to get more subs from the UK, right? And classic had those trolls to get all the Jamaican players joining.

My 8 year old son is aware of what World of Warcraft is, but he's never played it and isn't aware of MoP or any other expansion pack for that matter.

The MoP TV spot was on the other day as I was doing chores, and his exact words were "hey Dad, did you know that World of Warcraft is coming out with a new game? It's going to be like Kung Fu Panda!"

I know it's not a lot like Kung Fu Panda, but that's got to be the general consensus of those who don't play or don't have a lot of interest in WoW. I can't see how that would appeal to bringing on a new, more mature customer.

Ideas are usually considered through business success. Or what will sell copies to those who can't look past the box. I love this theme but it feels very niche compared to the previous expansions.

The ideas used also have counterpart roots like (PB, Pokemon) or (Monk/panda,KFP), (Pandaria,asia)

Deleted
    Every poll you could see on fan sites on the last years about which race people would want showed either Pandaren or Naga as clear winners. Blizzard adds Pandaren, a race that's been around since Warcraft 3, and people think it's based of an April's Fools Day.
    They just can't win, there's just too much ignorance.

Norse-themed - Done in WotLK
    Undead Scourge - Done in WotLK
    Burning Legion - Done in TBC
    Dragons and Old Gods - Done in Cata

As to "why this?" and "why now?" - Any of the other threats and themes you listed primarily involves the Alliance and Horde working together. Blizzard wants them to be at each others throats for awhile, so they need something to fight over. Enter Pandaria, a new continent, with plenty of natural resources that are otherwise depleting in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.

When/if we go into the Emerald Dream/Nightmare, it will be as allies dealing with a greater threat. Same goes for handling the Burning Legion and Old Gods. Those are not forces one faction can take on alone (no matter how much pride or ego may interject).
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

I remember years ago everybody wanted pandas in the game, they asked why not and really wanted them. now they are and you have tons of people who whine and complain about them and the first thing that pops into their mind is "dur kung fu panda". yes, there was a panda in WC3, a neutral hero, yes there was some panda lore. instead of taking a bunch of already done lore (see WotLK) they created a ton of new lore.

if you`re going to look at this as childish and that they`re aiming for the CoD 13 year old players to play the game just because of pandas in the game then I can really just shake my head at you :/

Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    And thank blizzard for that
    You decide how you want to play the game not blizzard. If you don't want to read the text on the quest you just picked up, that's your choice not Blizzards.