An totally un-thoughtout idea.

About 52 seconds a go I got an idea.

This whole "invalidating old content" thing, when we get new tiers of content, example: you don't have to do BoT or Firelands anymore, could be solved by turning old raids into 5mans. You could get the same gear, they'd be more accessible and wouldn't die.

Like I said, I have not though this through. Good idea or bad idea?

Moonicoff

A lot of mechanics wouldn't work in 5 mans, but I would really love it if old raids were somehow split up and turned into levelling dungeon content after each expansion ended

That said, I imagine it'd be an investment of time with little to gain from it, while it would be cool it isn't so easy as just dividing the spell numbers by 5 to make everything suitable for 5 man and it'd have to be developed and tested at the expense of something else.

Plus you can only imagine the whining...

10+ Year Old Account
    ZA and ZG are proof of exactly why that is a terrible idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Logically speaking there is little to no incentive for Blizzard to go back and spend time adjusting mechanics and turning old raids into 5 mans. The rewards from those raids are quickly replaced by quest greens/dungeon blues shortly after you start questing in the next expansion's zones, and for those who are interested in farming transmog gear, they will always find ways and means of doing so anyway (solo, 2-3 manning the raid, various reskins, etc). Blizzard has already come under fire for a lack of content patches (to which they've replied that they're already 'knee-deep' in patches 5.1 and 5.2), so I'd imagine they'd rather spend their time pushing out new, max level content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like it if they created another version(NOT REPLACE) of kara. I could see you going in with Khadgar to kill Medivh as a good instance to shove into the caverns of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    ZA and ZG are proof of exactly why that is a terrible idea.
    Exactly. People just need to leave things past. As much as everyone says they want a Kharazan 5 man. You know they are going to put in all new bosses and/or change the mechanics and people will cry "Noooo they ruined the best WoW raid ever".

Just leave the old stuff alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the plan to keep old content interesting is that parts of the legendary quest require you to complete every tier to progress your weapon. It's not mandatory but it does give reason for alts and newcomers to do every tier of content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    Exactly. People just need to leave things past. As much as everyone says they want a Kharazan 5 man. You know they are going to put in all new bosses and/or change the mechanics and people will cry "Noooo they ruined the best WoW raid ever".

Just leave the old stuff alone.
    ZA and ZG were pretty decent and fun dungeons. Their problem was the length, which could be solved by splitting them in wings. Some raids can be split, some can't, at least not in the conventional way, but there are workarounds.

Kharazan, the best raid ever, was ruined when Wrath was released, because it stopped being relevant. It's a cool place to visit with a couple of friends, but it's not "relevant content", and chances are that most people never set a foot in it.
    All i would ask is that the tiers, even if they get removed, are substituted with equal-looking drops.

Deleted
    hell no.

I dont wanna see my lovely Ulduar turned into a 5man run through of 20 minutes, although you can pretty much clear it already with only 5 people...

anyway. I love to relive old content even when I outgear it. I love to reminisce. If previous raidinstances arent accesible anymore than technically you would only have current raidinstances and thats like...1-4 instances? seems a bit low for a game thats been around for years.

what I'd love to see would be previous raids in sort of a challenge mode. 10man challenge mode with old content? that seems like a hell lot of new stuff to do, especially if you have ingame leaderboards and stuff like that. wow raiding has always been about becoming the best and the journey that takes you there. we need bragging rights, competition and most of all competition on multiple levels so we can see where we stand and where we can be.

can you imagine doing timeruns on lets say karazhan? maybe not the whole instance but for a couple of bosses or boss areas like the different wings in ICC or Naxx.

back to topic:

I think blizz will sooner or later have to come up with a way to make outdated content more appealing but I think your solution would do more bad than good, even those 5 mans you are talking about would be outgeared with the next patch.

Anyway I hope challenge modes will point them in the right direction.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't like to see old raids turned into 5mans... But I have a sneaky suspicion they'll do it to AQ...

Are they really dead though? In the past 5 days I've seen multiple ICC, Ulduar, and BT runs advertised in trade. I have even seen requests for EOE, MC, BWL, SP, and TK. The reason people run them is for Transmoq gear, mounts, pets, and achievements. Blizzard just needs to get behind it more by making to make groups through the raid finder, maybe have a character modal screen where it lists the loot from these places and shows your character in it, and make it so you can sort through achievements so you can list all the achievements you can get from a certain location. Maybe even have a 3rd currency that you can earn from old content so you can spend it on old content items.

This wouldn't be easily done at all. It'd take probably a LITTLE less longer to make raids into 5 mans than it would be to make a 5 man from scratch. Difference being we end up with "rehashed", as everyone likes to say, content.