Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Realistically, will a decent raiding guild accept me?

First off, by 'decent' I mean: having a timetable (3 nights a week 20:00+ server time, ideally, but would be up for 4) which people stick to, good attendance, everyone showing up prepped (at the very least knowing the boss abilities, with money for repairs etc.) and willing to put in time and wipes to progress rather than just farming the easy bosses. So not hardcore, just decent

And me: am now on Auchindoun EU, Tauren Moonkin, raided a lot during icc, took a break during Tier 1 of cata (cleared that tier on normal only - hated that expansion and not helped by guild disbands and being on a low pop server - I was on Boulderfist at the time). Returned recently, gt myself set up on a new realm, but only been mucking about on alts and making a bit of gold on the AH. I want to be able to play my way to an extent - so I will be Tauren Moonkin or nothing, although I do have a Nelf Moonkin close to max level and might be willing to go Alliance for the right guild. I'm not super-pro-awesome. I prep, I'm reliable, I focus, I am willing to put in what it takes to progress, and I'm sociable. I also make mistakes, am slightly obsessive about Moonkin and used to keep a stack of snowballs in my inventory to throw at raid leaders who made me use my offspec.

For me, the fun in WoW is raiding. If I could get into a decent raiding guild, I would buy MoP, race to 90, do the various rep farms etc. etc. If there is no chance, then I will continue to muck around on alts until my sub runs out, not bother buying MoP, and not re-sub. I'm enjoying GW2 at the moment - the only thing WoW offers me that GW2 doesn't is raiding (well, raiding and Moonkin. And nice movement/camera controls).

So honest opinions please (I am aware of the danger of asking that on this forum). Is a nice, progressive but friendly raiding guild going to accept such an application? Or am I wasting my time and theirs by applying?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    "For me, the fun in WoW is raiding. If I could get into a decent raiding guild, I would buy MoP, race to 90, do the various rep farms etc. etc. " That's your line to have in an application. If you say things like: "I play the game my way," it won't get you far. You're rightly allowed to play the game your way, even if it's a mere tauren boomkin that makes it your way. If it's a decent guild you will be expected to max your main with professions, reps and hc farming at max level with the majority of your time on your main, alts come later for alt raids or your own fun.

In the end, the only way to know is to try. As a person who has reviewed countless of applications and had so many trialists I can't stress the importance of putting yourself out there and being honest as possible in your application. If a guild simply wants to chat with you in-game for 5mins, then it probably ain't a brilliant guild. Check wowprogress on your realm, check official forums page and see what's on offer, check for a website, visit it, get to know the guild you're thinking of applying and while you wait for a reply to the application try find out more about the guild. Needless to say, research is paramount.

I would lastly tell you to try get more raiding experience as that seems quite lacking from your description. Make sure you spend time on forums such as the Druids section here, ask questions, read guides, get opinions. If you are a good player and honestly want to achieve the most out of your character, learn from your mistakes and be a team player then the world is your oyster.

Edit: PS. feel free to PM me your armoury and I can assist you further.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-09-19 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    I'm not super-pro-awesome. I prep, I'm reliable, I focus, I am willing to put in what it takes to progress, and I'm sociable.
    This is what im looking for when im out recruiting ppl. This is what matter.
    Raiding experience is a big plus, but tbh even ppl who have raiding since vanila can be bad gamers, so its not something that will make a or break an application.

When you find a guild you want to apply to, use the template (if they have provided one), but make sure to give it a personal touch.

Deleted
    Honesty and motivation are the two key factors that I look for, the more days you are available is also a plus, raid loggers are needed to fill the empty spots but they shouldn't count on any special benefits, the more you are seen the more you will be known/respected.

The respect comes because the guild will often ask you to do stuff with them like challenge modes now or some older raids/alt runs.

This respect gives you a higher priority on raid spots evidently. Ofcourse skill is a big factor in any decent raiding guild but skill can be learned from experience and trial and error, your attitude can not.

However even if you buy MoP and race to 90 (wich you'll have to do for any decent raiding guild) you'll also have to start farming heroics right of the bat with them. Casual gameplay at the launch of an expansion is not a good attitude for the start of an expansion.

If your up to those things, apply, but mind you a really decent raiding guild will expect you to be there 6 out of 7 days in the week, but then your in a hardcore guild.

With what you wrote here, seems to have a very thin history of raiding which is fine and should have no prob getting into 2nd tier raiding guilds (doing normal and maybe a few HC bosses) as most semi hardcore guilds are looking for quality u have already described yourself as

Apping to a guild the last week of an expansion with little raiding experience before hand is possibly the worst time to app. The officers have nothing to go on with you. It would be difficult to get a trial in a good guild, but not impossible. If you could find a guild on your server who fits your criteria and is still looking for solid ranged dps for MoP, that's your chance. Remember, officers don't care about your backstory and why you want to raid, they care about your performance. Your numbers will have to show that you deserve a raiding slot.

Deleted
    Nobody here can answer that. It depends on what alternative apps the guild gets to fill their spots. If there's someone who is better geared, has more experience and seems nicer, then you won't get a spot. If they haven't gotten any apps and are desperate to fill up their roster, then you will get a spot. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    In the end, the only way to know is to try. As a person who has reviewed countless of applications and had so many trialists I can't stress the importance of putting yourself out there and being honest as possible in your application. If a guild simply wants to chat with you in-game for 5mins, then it probably ain't a brilliant guild. Check wowprogress on your realm, check official forums page and see what's on offer, check for a website, visit it, get to know the guild you're thinking of applying and while you wait for a reply to the application try find out more about the guild. Needless to say, research is paramount.
    This essentially, make sure your application has some depth to it, both about you as a person n' especially your character (and don't be afraid of mentioning what your seeking in a potential guild either).., your application is all a potential guild knows about you, so the better impression you make the more likely you are to spark some interest.

Deleted
    Join an okish guild to get the normal clear and ideally a performance log, then apply elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    Remember, officers don't care about your backstory and why you want to raid, they care about your performance. Your numbers will have to show that you deserve a raiding slot.
    Many of the top end guilds actually care more about the soft skills and how you integrate into their guild culture than what a bar on a DPS meter says since it's assumed everyone will be doing 100% on performance anyway.

Here's my armory for the guy who asked. It's pretty much frozen in time from a few months ago: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Saphae/simple

Thanks for the feedback. I am willing to put in the time to gear pre-raid, and have at least raided in the past in guilds where maxed profs and stuff were expected, but yes I am pretty inexperienced in general.
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    Apping to a guild the last week of an expansion with little raiding experience before hand is possibly the worst time to app.
    Actually it's probably the best time to make an app like this. There's no pressing need to have him immediately ready and geared for raiding, and everyone will be leveling up in MoP soon so he won't be behind. Obviously he needs to convince the officers that he's worth the shot, but many guilds might take him just to see how it turns out in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Join an okish guild to get the normal clear and ideally a performance log, then apply elsewhere.
    Sorry, I know this might be a smart thing to do, but I'm not prepared to 'use' a guild like that. If I join a guild it's with a view to a long term commitment (real life permitting). I'm not gonna use a bunch of people to gear me up then drop them when they're no longer useful to me. Just not that sort of person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Here's my armory for the guy who asked. It's pretty much frozen in time from a few months ago: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Saphae/simple
    I wouldn't expect to get into the top guilds on your realm (or even above average ones), some primarily social guild that does some raiding would probably be your best bet and then working your way up to better guilds as you get more experience.

Deleted
    as a none hardcore (by which I mean I dont scream blue bloody murder at people (I Have officers for that) Guild, but pushing for steady progress I would accept you in a heartbeat. People who actually bother to turn up to raids prepared is sadly becoming a thing of the past on my realm. My Guild Funds everything. Foods, Potions, Flasks, repair costs, and enchants, baring in mind that even a semi-serious raiding guild will tend to ask you to have BIS enchants and Gemming where possible, The most people actually want is for people turn up and at least know the basics of the fight. I can assure you that what your looking for is out there.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2012-09-19 at 10:58 AM.

Ofcourse they would take you, just apply to guilds actually looking for a moonkin (With the new buff system haste aura seems to be the most rare), If you apply to guilds not looking for a boomkin however, with the "no offspecs for me ty" attitude, you'll likely not get far.

But for a guild looking for boomkin dps, reliability consistency and performance are main things. Though you should keep in mind the whole "my way" thing comes across as a them vs me sort of situation, you'll want to be more of a teamplayer focusing on your positive attributes and then take the "problems" as they come down the road. (Unless you dont read the guild memo, regarding offspecs. And apply to a guild that actually expects you to have a thriving offspec, dont do that.).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    This essentially, make sure your application has some depth to it, both about you as a person n' especially your character (and don't be afraid of mentioning what your seeking in a potential guild either).., your application is all a potential guild knows about you, so the better impression you make the more likely you are to spark some interest.
    This, This, and This again.

I have personally rejected so many applications on the grounds of one word answers. I don't care if your spelling is poor, as long as its a proper answer and not just a one word, or "funny" answer you are a lot more likely to be given a trial position.

Deleted
    I think you can get into a quite decent guild, yes. You just have to go more into details and explain what you did in ICC and such things.

Also having this honest approach and explaining yourself (Like you just did).

If you want to look more serious I would prolly racechange into a troll for the racial bonus, also include this in your apply. Make sure everything is perfect before you post.

I have recruited several people who are undergeared and not so experienced just because they were very detailed and felt alot more serious. And it turns out many of them just didnt play in the recent tiers but were just as good or better. You just have to find a guild that is willing to take a risk when recruiting, most still have a trial-period anyway.

Deleted
    Being from auchindoun myself (ally side) you shouldnt have any trouble joining a good guild, there's plenty of "mid lvl" guilds
    You really should have an offspec, ready and willing to play it for encounters that clearly favors it, or your doing the guild and yourself unjustice
    Other then that, just the fact you came here and asking shows a lot about your character, i see no problem.
    Just throw out some applications looking for moonkin/druids

Deleted
    I've taken breaks and missed gear tiers in between playing as well. Fact is, any decent raiding guild that's actually recruiting with purpose will take a long hard look at anyone that displays a competency with words and their character because those are the things that make up a good player. If you know your class, are willing to put work into making yourself look good in interviews and have immediately demonstrable skill to back it up I see no reason that a good guild won't pick you up. Especially at the start of a new xpac, lots of guilds will be looking to either expand their rosters or perhaps even branch out / get backup players in. Those are good places to be on the first tier of a guild. As you go along you'll meet new people and you'll find (perhaps) better places to be. Take the opportunities as they come along and foster lasting relationships with players you get along with. Before long, you'll be raiding to your heart's content.

Remember that for every one of you that applies there's 10-15 people that have better gear, chants and gems. The thing that makes you look like a better choice is knowing your limits, being agreeable about advice and knowing your class inside out. If you can't name stuff like haste breaks, your hit cap, how you would use your utility skills or rattle off your rotation off the top of your head you're going to have a bad time.

Get in there, get interested, get passionate and they'll have no choice but to recruit you. You'll just look that damn good alongside all the "lol lk25hc was ez mode on ret pala". If for nothing else but being someone they'd want to hang out in vent with for X hours whilst wiping.