Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I am simply going to stop arguing for the sake of sleep.
    DDR overall takes less memory, and WA / PA isn't very effective in terms of rune tracking because you can't set it up to move perfectly when you move that certain peice.
    DDR does. Overall, it's more simple and works quite well within every set-up.
    If you're raiding progression (top 10 of your region) you will be using DDR over WA for runes majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frstypwn View Post
    Also, why did you compare your set up to Riggnaros'? He has custom, un-obtainable add-ons, raid leads.
    The stuff on the bottom of his screen includes his action bars, what looks like omen, and some custom HUD above that. None of that is raid leader specific and all tanking related. Just like i stated above, he doesnt fail to mechanics because he is prepared for them and doesn't rely on having that space 100% clear of any helpful UI articles.
    Last edited by Reniat; 2012-10-01 at 01:27 PM.

The stuff on the bottom of his screen includes his action bars, what looks like omen, and some custom HUD above that. None of that is raid leader specific and all tanking related. Just like i stated above, he doesnt fail to mechanics because he is prepared for them and doesn't rely on having that space 100% clear of any helpful UI articles.
    Riggnaros has died to mechanics, and he admits it which is what he asks of other players.
    He doesn't look down at his action bar / omen / shit like that. He doesn't keep his area clean, but on progression it doesn't look 100% the same as it does off progression.
    NO ONE in ANY GOOD GUILD (top 20 in region) looks at there action bars (unless you're fighting some boss with literally 0 mechanics like patchwerk.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Riggnaros is also a raid leader, and has his shit customized where he isn't looking at his action bars and is able to, off memory, know what is going to happen when etc.

It's more than just a few top US dks, and it's not just seeing through it, it's the fact that no matter how transparent you make it , it still takes up more memory / space / visibility than DDR.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 09:16 AM ----------

Also, why did you compare your set up to Riggnaros'? He has custom, un-obtainable add-ons, raid leads.
    Ok so the top raiders need to have a clean UI so they can clearly see everything. But top raiders also don't need to because they already know what's going to happen off memory right?

Addon memory is not an issue unless your computer is 7 years old. It's such an old argument that has no merit anymore. Have you even tried configuring WeakAuras? Or are you really going to say DDR is hands down the best when you haven't even given something a fair shot? I love DDR, have been using it for years. I haven't tried rune addons since WotLK so I'm not gonna say it's the best.

Are you even top 10 in your region? How can you make such claims? It baffles me how people are so "my way is the only right way" in an opinionated situation. I'm a fairly serious raider, not top 10, but always maintainted top 100 US. It doesn't matter, though. If I didn't raid, if I was 10 top, or top 100, I'd still just use whatever rune addon is the best, in my personal opinion.

Ok so the top raiders need to have a clean UI so they can clearly see everything. But top raiders also don't need to because they already know what's going to happen off memory right?

Addon memory is not an issue unless your computer is 7 years old. It's such an old argument that has no merit anymore. Have you even tried configuring WeakAuras? Or are you really going to say DDR is hands down the best when you haven't even given something a fair shot? I love DDR, have been using it for years. I haven't tried rune addons since WotLK so I'm not gonna say it's the best.

Are you even top 10 in your region? How can you make such claims? It baffles me how people are so "my way is the only right way" in an opinionated situation. I'm a fairly serious raider, not top 10, but always maintainted top 100 US. It doesn't matter, though. If I didn't raid, if I was 10 top, or top 100, I'd still just use whatever rune addon is the best, in my personal opinion.
    Okay, first off after top 20 US you go into guilds outside top 100 world.
    I have, and currently use, WeakAuras, tried it with runes for awhile and got it set up after like 5~ minutes.
    After like 2 boss pulls, I realized it wasn't up to par with other set ups.

http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/.../rating.tier11 (Guild shortly died after because GM came down very sick and could no longer raid lead, therefore Rebellion was formed, which later merged into Exodus).
    We were ranked #9 for 25m, and to be honest 10m is out of this question because it's so much easier (literally) and majority of the population (of the better / more stable guilds) are 25, and we raided 4 days a week / 16 hours.

memory does make a difference, but very minimal.

Riggnaros does survive, but he dies and this his un-clean UI can be partially blamed, but I am not going to criticize Riggnaros since he is probably the best Raid Leader in the US. Personal opinions are what got death knights the unnecessary nerfs they got in t11, as well as all throughout cataclsm, got protection warriors (were already really strong on beta) buffed, and is going to get monks buffed.

Those people who are sitting there clueless of there surroundings, a classes play-style, etc are those who have the PERSONAL OPINION to get some classes that don't need the buffs / nefs to occur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you really comparing things that have gotten classes nerfed to a rune addon preference? You are comparing apples and oranges. I seriously cannot believe you think a rune addon preference is such a big deal to the point where every other rune addon is obsolete (especially after only trying them for 2 boss pulls).

There are things in this game that are proved to provide an actual statistical gain. Someone might prefer one stat over another, but (most of the time) it can be mathematically proven what stat is the best. I'll completely agree people have personal preferneces that actually hinder them, but we're talking about a rune addon. If you think a rune addon is such a huge deal, maybe you should be spending more time paying attention to your surroundings and less time staring at your runes.

Also Tier 11 was over 2 years ago. Sorry but your "top 10" opinion doesn't have merit anymore.

The reason I've used DDR over any other rune trackers is that it sorts runes as 3 bars of 200% (with the full rune auto-sorting to the "bottom") rather than 6 bars of 100%. Is this a function that can be duplicated in WA?

I don't want to get into a flame war about addon use, but for others reading this thread, you might consider my addon DKOne. It was mentioned early on in the thread. I wrote it specifically because I was using DDR and a whole bunch of custom Weak Auras. It seemed a waste to be checking a lot of the DK auras twice.

When you first write an addon, you write it so it's setup exactly how you want your UI setup. Then when you show it around to friends in guild, they invariably want something moved or changed and so you generalize it so the user can set that option in a configuration menu. Finally, you realize that no one ever agrees on anything and you should just let the user control everything and set the default to what will make the most people happy.

I have noticed a couple of things with MoP DKs, as opposed to Cata. First, cooldown usage is less complicated, Ghoul and PoF are just used on CD. It used to make sense to hold ghoul for a couple of seconds to line up RotFC, trinket, and PoF. That is no longer the case. That means it's actually not that important to track them. My addon has a whole bunch of user configurable buttons to track those sorts of things, but for the most part just Raise Dead as soon as it comes off cooldown.

Rune usage is actually marginally more complicated, primarily from the introduction of Plague Leech. I think this talent was introduced precisely as a method for good DKs to distinguish themselves through proper usage that gives only a very slight DPS gains. My addon provides a priority recommendation by showing the icons for the next two spells you should use. Similar to CLCDK or Zombie, but I let the user set the priority. I always set the default to the maximizing Simcraft Action List. Occasionally, Simcraft doesn't have the conditions quite right. Currently, I don't think it's Plague Leech conditions are quite right.

Anyway, that's getting off track. I think there is value in having as much open screen as you can. There is also value in having the information you need in a centralized spot. People weighting of those two competing concerns is going to vary. Luckily, almost every DK addon lets you move and resize components. Personally, I am finding that in MOP, by default I was tracking more stuff than I really needed and so turned a lot of the buttons that track buffs and auras off.

I have lots of thoughts on this subject, but my 2 cents is that people prefer what they are familiar with, there are gains from having a good UI, but nobody agrees what that is.

This top 10 region stuff is the most hilariously stupid discussion I've seen on the MMO forums in quite some time. The pompous neck-beardy self-importance in this thread is balls-tinglingly funny. Thanks for the entertainment.

Back on topic, I like and use DKOne, but I wish it had an option to show the rune display out of combat "when active", ie when a rune is on cooldown or the player has >0 runic power. I don't use the rotation helper component, just the rune and RP displays.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2012-10-01 at 08:38 PM.

Yea, I had another request to have it show if you are out of combat, but you have a hostile mob targeted. The issue I'm running into is how to handle all these potentially conflicting conditions as to when to show and hide the display. I'm thinking about going to a menu of choices you can check off and if any of the checked conditions are true, it shows the display, otherwise it hides it. As GC would say, Soon™.

Not lag, it's not clean enough. DDR is the best possible way to track runes.
    Debateably, any rune tracking system that is limited to a graphical representation of your rune duration as opposed to a numeric one, which to my knowledge is not available through DDR, limits your ability to utilize your resources as efficiently as possible. I agree that DDR is great at keeping what you need to see both small and efficient but not only is this obtainable through other means, it doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, allow you to see how many seconds you have remaining on your runes.

You keep talking about what's acceptable for top progression raiding dks and I would be greatly concerned if those dks used a graphical breakdown as opposed to a numeric one to track their resource system.
    Last edited by burbon; 2012-10-01 at 11:02 PM.

Yep, basically I would like the rune and RP displays to show when in combat, out of combat but any rune is on cooldown, and out of combat but I have runic power. Other addons call that "active", ie something is happening that's not just idle. Still, great addon. I like the stacked vertical rune display a lot more than the stacked horizontal display in DDR.

I've said before I use "tell me when" to track my runes, but I also use it for all my cds and important buffs. This I believe works very similarly to WA or PA, but I have used all three and ultimately prefer "tell me when".

Here's what it looks like on my blood spec if you're interested in a different option.
    http://i.imgur.com/cJhOt.jpg
    Last edited by burbon; 2012-10-01 at 11:03 PM.

Deleted
    As the discussion is about Rune tracking addons, I need advice:
    I saw an addon that displays the runes if they are available and displays a timer instead if the runes are recharging (in the color of the runes). I don’t want to create my own thing through PA or WA but are looking for an addon that is just “install and go”. And no, I don’t like bars or anything else, I would love the mentioned way with timers when runes are recharging. So if anyone knows this addon I would appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Twobeers View Post
    As the discussion is about Rune tracking addons, I need advice:
    I saw an addon that displays the runes if they are available and displays a timer instead if the runes are recharging (in the color of the runes). I don’t want to create my own thing through PA or WA but are looking for an addon that is just “install and go”. And no, I don’t like bars or anything else, I would love the mentioned way with timers when runes are recharging. So if anyone knows this addon I would appreciate
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mrunes

Does that look like what you were looking for?