10+ Year Old Account

5.0.x PvP Guide to Fire Mage (Level 90)

Hello and welcome mages and other players seeking to learn about Fire Mage PvP.This post will teach you the basics and some tricks in PvP as a Fire Mage.
    I myself am a Fire Mage, to see some of my gameplay visit youtube.com/TheXenos21.

Lets get started!

Buffs:
    [LIST][*]Molten Armor: 5% Crit Chance & -6% Physical Damage Taken - More Hot Streak procs and less phys damage taken[*]Arcane Brilliance: +10% Spell Power & +5% Crit - More Damage

Spec:
    T1 - Lvl 15: Scorch
    T2 - Lvl 30: Ice Barrier
    T3 - Lvl 45: Frostjaw
    T4 - Lvl 60: Cauterize
    T5 - Lvl 75: Living Bomb
    T6 - Lvl 90: Incanter's Ward

Glyphs:
    Major:
    Glyph of Combustion: Increases the Direct Damage, duration of DoT effect and cooldown of Combustion by 100%. -MAJOR damage boost (MUST GET)
    Glyph of Evocation: Causes Evocation to heal you for 60% of your total health over its duration. -Only heal you will have. lol
    Glyph of Deep Freeze: Takes Deep Freeze off the Global Cooldown. -Important because you only have 1-2 freezes and you can't miss the freeze.

Minor:
    All of these are optional, I do NOT recommend Glyph of Momentum, also, do NOT get Glyph of Mirror Image as fire because you want them to cast Frostbolt to slow your enemy, Fire has no benefit besides the simple damage it does.

Stat Priority:
    6% Spell Hit > Crit Chance > Haste = Mastery
    This is telling you that you must get 6% spell hit first, then focus gems enchants and reforging on crit, reforge any gear that already has crit to mastery or haste, whichever you prefer, but do NOT reduce the crit.

Typical Rotation:
    Frostjaw/Frost Nova > Deep Freeze > Living Bomb > Scorch > Inferno Blast > Alter Time > Pyroblast (Should Proc, if not use Scorch then use the proc) > Cooldowns and Trinkets > Combustion > Pyroblast (After Alter Time ends) >> Repeat

What this enables you to do is get off an immediate CC triggering you Shatter giving you an almost guaranteed crit chance (2x your crit +50%) causing your Scorch to crit then your Inferno Blast's 100% crit chance to trigger Hot Streak, before using Pyroblast use Alter Time to reset your Buff in 6 Seconds. After using Alter Time use Pyroblast, pop all trinkets/damage increasing cooldowns, and use Combustion then use your Pyroblast from your Alter Time reset.

Tips and Tricks:
    1. Dragon's Breath + Pyroblast - Use Dragon's Breath and quickly do a Hard Cast Pyroblast, if the enemy uses a trinket to get out of the Breath immediatley stop and switch to Scorch.
    2. Mage Armor + Casters - Against other casters, IF your crit is above 30% without Molten Armor, then you can freely use Mage Armor to increase survivability against them and increase the damage of Ignite (Mastery)

One Shot Macro/Rotation:
    Rotation:
    Frostjaw/Frost Nova > Scorch > Inferno Blast > Pyroblast (Hot Streak proc) > One Shot Macro

Macro:
    /cast "PvP Trinket"
    /cast Mirror Image
    /cast Combustion

Because Mirror Image damage is scaled off of Spell Power it is essential to use your PvP Trinket first to maximize your damage output.

That is all for now! Thanks so much for reading this and hope you learned and improved from it, if you have ANY questions at all feel free to PM me or leave a comment below. Don't forget to check back to youtube.com/TheXenos21 to see some of my Fire Mage PvP videos!
    Rozenzo - Anvilmar Alliance
    Last edited by Xkiller9000; 2012-09-20 at 06:55 PM.

One shot macro+dragons breath+counterspell to solo any caster xD

I honestly don't post on these forums very much, but I had to in order to correct some of the things you have said in your guide. While this is an okay guide, I disagree with a lot of things.

First of all, you don't know what Arcane Brilliance does. It is 10% spell power and 5% spell critical chance.

Secondly, I disagree with your choices of Frostjaw and Cauterize. Frostjaw is okay in a 1v1 situation, but most of the time Ring of Frost is miles ahead of it. Put someone in a Dragon's Breath and Ring of Frost. Cauterize...../facepalm. Which is better, hmm? 1) Gaining 50% of your health after losing 100% of it, then wasting Ice Block as a means to stop the Cauterize burn, or 2) Use Cold Snap as a 30% heal, and having 2 Ice Blocks. My choice is 2. 2 Ice blocks and 30% heal greatly outweighs 50% health and having to use your Ice Block in only one circumstance. And what if your Ice Block is on cooldown, huh? Well, you're definitely screwed then.

Glyph of Combustion. No. Use Glyph of Polymorph to make sure your Polymorphs work. 100% necessary as a fire mage. Wouldn't be completely necessary as a frost mage because of the lack of DoTs, but as a fire mage, not taking Glyph of Polymorph essentially means that you can't even cast your best CC. Also, with the new dispel getting rid of all of your DoTs in one fell swoop, glyphing for a DoT that gets immediately dispelled is just silly.

You need 6% hit.

Apply Living Bomb before putting someone in a Deep Freeze, saves a global cooldown. You can also hardcast a Scorch or Pyroblast while an opponent is in a nova and immediately hit deep freeze in order for it to crit and get the deep freeze off. Then you Inferno Blast, get the pyro proc, alter time, pyroblast, alter time, pyroblast, combustion. You also pop all of your damage buffs before you deep freeze someone. Trinkets before damage.

Never. Ever. Pop CDs AFTER you pyroblast your target for the kill. They last 20 seconds. It doesn't take 20 seconds to set up a proper combustion.

How is that a one-shot macro? That requires like 5-6 global cooldowns, and they aren't even CC'd during it.

fire mage needs a guide? cmon... :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tibers View Post
    If it didn't, I wouldn't be trampling down the average fire mage with them barely touching me.
    That said, pewpew is right, the only thing OP got right though, was his talent list, which is still subject to change, suiting one's personal playstyle. I prefer Frostjaw over RoF in the typical 1v1 encounter, but as soon as another person enters the fray, that quickly changes. Cauterize vs. Cold Snap is also subject to personal preference and the time & place. Cauterize for 1v1's and Cold Snap for XvX (hypothermia is still in place afaik)
    Pewpew didn't mention OPs use of gems either, PvP gems heavily outperform regular stat gems (Didn't hit 90 on the beta, but I assume we can get pvp power / resi gems @ 90)
    I'd thumb this 'guide' down if there was an option to do so.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by mmoc1ea225bcc9; 2012-09-20 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt really, I was just lookin for something to do so I figured id help out any new guys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    It doesnt really, I was just lookin for something to do so I figured id help out any new guys
    I really don't know how I can put this as politely as I can without hurting your feelings, but I don't think you're qualified for the job.

Edit: Haha, you got me, I thought you were serious about the guide until I took a look at your armory
    Last edited by mmoc1ea225bcc9; 2012-09-20 at 09:16 PM.

You advice haste->mastery , yet you haven't reforge half your gear from mastery->haste which also have crit on them, and also remove that spirit gem
    Use hybrid gems also, like in your pants, put a pvpP-crit or Int crit as orange, and a pvpP in the blue, crit or a hybrid gem in shoulders, too etc. Sure you should think of youre pvp defence, but as dps I guess beeing more offensive in stat weights is better, you are a mage, and slippery as hell and nukes people in 5s.

Deleted
    I always facepalm when people list "rotations" in pvp guides, what is this, a guide for 1500 rating raiders? There is no rotations as a fire mage for 2 reasons - pvp is reactionary, and secondly because fire mages can use abilities at random and makes no difference. They are kinda like s5 deathknights.

^this. I ask every mage i see if they are ashamed of playing their class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikend View Post
    ^this. I ask every mage i see if they are ashamed of playing their class.
    As you can tell, there are bads playing all classes, take the OP for example, he has absolutely no clue what he's doing yet he finds himself capable enough to write a ''guide'' - it's called the Kruger-Dunning effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect. I'm also finding it quite funny that you have some sort of personal vendetta here, digging up threads on class forums to bash on them. I bet you've gotten some love in the BGs lately? :P