Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want to believe gives way to Trust no one.

I remember back at the guild summit when some dev said he played the "new space combat" and that the "secret space project" was being worked on. That it was in alpha and "fun" and that it would "blow our minds".

So it was in alpha about half a year ago and apparently far along enough that it was playable to the point of being fun.

There has been no videos, no discussion, no dev comments that gave any detail as to what they mean by "new space combat" but have assured us that the new 10 rail shooters are "not it".

See, when trion talked about their pocket dimensions... They showed it. They even said "this is alpha so a lot will change". It was a fraction of what they hope it will become... But they allowed us to know what they are working on.

When blizzard says they are working on something, they usually give a description of what it will be. Even if it is some what vague, its not completely devoid of information.

This goes beyond "they don't want to promise something that they might have to change" or "they are afraid of promising dates".

I don't believe it exists.

I think it was a PR band-aid to make up for the condescending "han solo and chewie didn't go dicking around in space" debacle.

I think that there was no space 2 in alpha 6 months ago.

There might be something in the works right now, but I doubt it.

I was waiting for space 2 this entire time. Since they can't produce a single 1 minute clip of a supposedly playable game as of 6 months ago I can't wait any longer. I wanted to wait till December but the 10 rail shooter missions have really shit on my hope that this could be a holistic star wars game.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many projects got scrapped when SWTOR wasn't the WOW killer that EA wanted. The sad part of it all is that they had very good MMO numbers. Maybe they will pick it up if the F2P market is profitable for them.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also willing to bet that when Corporate said implement strategy Code Name: Cash Shop, that they were directed to abandon any 'different' space structures. I think any team working on space was relegated to simply making more missions and more 'variety' within the already existing system.

Whether wrong or not, I'm willing to bet not, the decision that space is not a crux of this game played a part in that decision. I think upgrades to space will come after cash shop money is piling in and they figure out a way to monetize new avenues. That will be the day when we see full on space, with upgradable ships, changing ship aesthetics and interior decorations, etc.

I am dreaming that F2P enables this game to become everything I've ever wanted, since I will then just pay the sub and have some of everything. I won't hold on to that hope forever and I certainly won't pay to fund changes I don't know will ever come.

Depending on how big this thing is it may still very well in Alpha. I read a quote somewhere from one of the developers who said they were still working on it. Arlee probably has it somewhere. The thing is even if they do it it won't bring very many people back, in fact I would fully expect that these and the official forums to be riddled with "TO LITTLE TO LATE BW" or "NOT ENOUGH" kinda talk. In the end they have priorities I guess. It sucks though I agree.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-09-20 at 03:41 PM.

I don't have any reason to doubt them that its still in the works at this point. They have a lot of other higher priority things to deal with.

And I am a firm believer that they did not have plans to go F2P until EA dropped it on them and told them to make it happen ASAP, so they had to drop everything else to do that.

This is one of the reasons I have little trust in them. They've promised SO many awesome features and so much awesome content, they've hyped it up, but they never really seem to be able to deliver anything in a reasonable timeframe.

They have a very bad habit of talking about things WELL before they should be, which causes this type of fatigue. It's quite unfortunate. I remember them talking about this during the guild summit (watched it and it was filled with some good info and MANY lulz) and I got super excited about it. I'd honestly forgotten about it until now.

They really need to get their announcement timelines in order. Be more realistic with when they announce a feature or content and when they expect it to actually come out. Would go a long way for people like me who have been interested in the game for quite some time but hesitant as they constantly overpromise : /

10+ Year Old Account
    This was mentioned on The Republic (the SWTOR show on Gamebreaker.tv) and it really is true. Bioware's Austin team makes a lot of promises and shows us nothing. Its gotten so frustrating that people just give up listening to them. Justin Lowe, one of the hosts and the owner of DarthHater.com, basically titled the show by saying that Bioware needs to Put Up or Shut Up. The promises and talk needs to stop and they need to SHOW us what they are talking about. Honestly, no one cares about the Space Game if you're going to have to wait 6months or longer to finally get it. Don't talk about it that far out. There's no point. That is one of the many reasons that I really wish I had given Trion more of my money...

The thing is... This isn't an "over promising" thing or a "its probably in alpha still".

They said they played it. And it was fun.

Which means at least 1 map was playable. And fun.

They could have shown us a 1 minute clip of them playing it.

If it existed.

I think if it did, and was playable back during the guild summit, we would have seen something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I don't believe it exists.
    I would not be surprised if an improved space combat experience does actually "exist" somewhere in the bowels of Austin or Edmonton. However, I would also not be surprised at all if claiming its even in "Alpha," might be a gross exaggeration. I think that BioWare really thought they knew what the market wanted when developing TOR. It just turned out that, for most of their potential customers, they were simply wrong.

"Space Combat" was just one of a variety of design decisions for TOR that were "flawed." Like the other flaws, efforts to improve Space Combat were likely brought to a screeching halt once the layoffs started and ponderings about switching to F2P+MT began. Maybe someday Austin will be able to but I honestly wouldn't expect it for another year or two, at best. It is far more likely, in my opinion, that Space Combat will be just another of BioWare's missed opportunities with TOR.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did see a Tweet yesterday from SWTOR yesterday saying they are going to live stream once a month starting err forget the date off hand but yeah it should be interesting to see what the stream has to say and how long they will do it for.

It might just be my imagination but I noticed Trion doing regular streams about game related news and SWTOR is falling suit now and Trion and it's dev's did some Reddit AMA's and bamm a month later WoW dev's are doing it. LoL maybe I'm reading to far into it but it seems the little guy is paving the way for the big guys. Who da thunk?

The thing is... This isn't an "over promising" thing or a "its probably in alpha still".

They said they played it. And it was fun.

Which means at least 1 map was playable. And fun.

They could have shown us a 1 minute clip of them playing it.

If it existed.

I think if it did, and was playable back during the guild summit, we would have seen something.
    That's actually super common.

Blizzard has talked about how they've been playing Titan for a while but they haven't officially spoken about the game other than, "We've played it and it's super fun". You can't really show off stuff in early alpha since it's all subject to change, and people will freak out if it changes and claim false advertising ect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I did see a Tweet yesterday from SWTOR yesterday saying they are going to live stream once a month starting err forget the date off hand but yeah it should be interesting to see what the stream has to say and how long they will do it for.

It might just be my imagination but I noticed Trion doing regular streams about game related news and SWTOR is falling suit now and Trion and it's dev's did some Reddit AMA's and bamm a month later WoW dev's are doing it. LoL maybe I'm reading to far into it but it seems the little guy is paving the way for the big guys. Who da thunk?
    The little guys will begin to pave way for the big guys because the little guys have something to prove. WoW is a top competitor so it has already proved itself. Developers like Trion and Bioware have to be creative in order to attract attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post

I bet anyone $10 dollars that one of the most asked questions will be "so about that special space project...."

I do remember them saying they were still working on it back in Julyish. But I can't find it.

Also, little guys paving the way for the big guys has always been a thing. I mean I have completely lost track of the number of things that were first done in a different game that wow picked up after.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Also, little guys paving the way for the big guys has always been a thing. I mean I have completely lost track of the number of things that were first done in a different game that wow picked up after.
    Wow was built on the backs of hundreds of games that came before and after it. I'm surprised scenarios took so long, since LotRO has had them implemented since they went F2P.

I wish Blizz had outright copied that idea instead of riffing off it. Scalable instances you can complete by yourself with an AI companion? Oh dear please sign me up. Single handedly making every piece of content relevant forever and letting me play the game how I really want, mostly by myself. It would be a perfect match for SWTOR since we already have companions. There was a thread a while ago about an idea like that.

But yeah, getting on topic, it's good that SWTOR is communicating anything and giving us any upates. The only reason they are getting my money right now is because I like helping my guild in Ops. Otherwise I cba to even log on to do dailies. They might have a month long window after the 25th to give me something concrete about Novemeber or else they have lost one more person.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's common in other businesses as well, where the little guys will come up with an idea and the big company will come in, buy it, refine it, and rebrand it.

Got some help from Amber Green and she found it for me. It was in August not July like I was thinking.

Originally Posted by SWTOR
    I got some info from Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about this for you! He says that the "super secret space project" is certainly not dead and is in development. Unfortunately, we're not ready to say much more than that about it. We do, though, have more space content coming in the near future, and will continue work on the "super secret space project!"

(Source)

My opinion is that they were happily trucking along with content in various states of completion, all going well. Subs losing? Hrm, okay, well we're fixing stuff and things are coming along and ...

Then they got the F2P hammer, smashing through the division. "Tidy up launch and release new content" was suddenly thrown in disarray as they tried to figure out how to implement DLC (basically) while also trying to regain any sort of momentum as the teams were "realigned" via firing, transfering and such.

Just like I don't think they really were prepared for launch and seemed to be reacting to what was happening rather than getting ahead of it, they seem to be in the same status now.

I'm still subscribed, but haven't actively played much since the scavenger hunt, not sure why I'm still subbed except out of misguided loyalty and hope, and maybe a bit of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Got some help from Amber Green and she found it for me. It was in August not July like I was thinking.

Originally Posted by SWTOR
    I got some info from Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about this for you! He says that the "super secret space project" is certainly not dead and is in development. Unfortunately, we're not ready to say much more than that about it. We do, though, have more space content coming in the near future, and will continue work on the "super secret space project!"

(Source)
    *selfsnip* I don't think people really remember X-files much anymore. Oh well.

I want to believe... But I need proof.

*selfsnip* I don't think people really remember X-files much anymore. Oh well.

I want to believe... But I need proof.

The Truth is Out There.