Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Did I miss any good SNES/SFC RPGS?

Did I miss any good SNES/SFC RPGS? RPG,JRPG,ARPG,aRPG,SRPG, or any other sorta rpgish type... thing...

Played most of these atleast twice haha, if not more. Highlighted personal favourites.

Treasure of Rudra
    Final Fantasy Series
    Chrono Trigger *Love this game*
    Dragon Quest/ Dragon Warrior Series *DQ4 is my fav nes RPG*
    Mother 2/ Earthbound
    Breath of Fire Series
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Tales of Phantasia *Love this game*
    Terranigma *So good, fav ARPG*
    Star Ocean
    Seiken Densetsu (Mana) Series *Love SD3*
    Fire Emblem Series
    Front Mission
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Lufia Series
    Live A Live
    Illusion of Gaia
    SaGa Series
    Megami Tensei Series
    Shadowrun
    Ys Series
    Soul Blazer
    Ogre Battle
    Der Langrisser
    Ultima Series
    Drakkhen Series
    Wizardy Series
    Tactics Ogre *Love this game*
    Legend of Zelda (Cause if I don't mention it someone else will)
    A few I forgot before:
    Dragon Ball Z RPG
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Robot Wars
    Robotrek

All 100% personal opinion, not fact. Looking for suggestions, not critic of my opinions lol. I realize there's google... but I'm hoping for something obscure though that the FANatics might know of and maybe I wouldn't find on a google search. Or perhaps PC/Handheld/NextGen games that feel like SNES/SFC games - imo a golden time.

And if there is none left where next? I have the entire PSX collection downloaded. Should I start whoring my way through all the PSX RPGS - If so where(besides FF/DQ series)? Does Genesis have anything to offer other then Phantasy Star?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by teddytous; 2012-09-22 at 03:43 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would play Secret of Evermore, I hear alot of people seems to dislike the game but I've played through it a fair few times and enjoyed it everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

I have sir, I just lump it in with the other secret of games. Indeed it is a worthy game though.

Children of mana
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    I have sir, I just lump it in with the other secret of games. Indeed it is a worthy game though.
    Completely unrelated though, but you probably know that playing all those games. I can't think of any, I assume "saga series" means 7th Saga and 7th Saga 2, if not, there's those, but I gotta tell you, I tried playing the first recently, and it's god-awful.

On the PSX you can't go wrong with Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross. Plenty more but those are probably the two biggest not-Final fantasy titles.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-21 at 01:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    7th Saga. AMAZING game.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

Secret of Mana, don't see it listed on your list. (nvm over looked it) IMHO is the King of RPG's of it's time. Another great series to check out is Y's.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    Secret of Mana, don't see it listed on your list. IMHO is the King of RPG's of it's time. Another great series to check out is Y's.
    Forgot about Y's, thought it was NES. You can get them on Steam now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Forgot about Y's, thought it was NES. You can get them on Steam now too.
    Yea, originally was on NES, but like a lot of RPG's its migrated over time/consoles.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Completely unrelated though, but you probably know that playing all those games. I can't think of any, I assume "saga series" means 7th Saga and 7th Saga 2, if not, there's those, but I gotta tell you, I tried playing the first recently, and it's god-awful.
    No, there was Romancing SaGa.Romancing SaGa was never released properly outside Japan for SNES, thus it is not that much well known. What concerns 7th Saga, I heard jap version was ok, and that it is actually english version is utter hardcore/grindfest with one of the bosses being potentially unkillable.

There are almost all SNES RPGs in that list. But still you missed one - Arcana. It is first-person view turn-based dungeon crawler. it is often overlooked, but it is quite decent game.

Tales of Phantasia is pretty good, and Lagoon is worth checking out (pretty jammin' soundtrack too). You should try ActRaiser series too, even though it's not really an RPG. You've played just about most of the good RPGs for SNES. Time to move on to Genesis!

Arcana - ugggghhh I remember it now, I tried so hard to force myself to finish it. But I just couldn't. I like the dungeon crawlers, but something about the feel of that one just offed me. Maybe Ill choke it down haha.

ToP indeed was good! Probably one of the most skipped RPGs, but so good. Lagoon looked bleh when I saw it, I never really gave it a fair chance tho so I'll give it another look.

I loved Legend of Dragoon - maybe it warrants a replay, its been a while.

Time to move on to Genesis!
    For what though?

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    For what though?
    Lots of good RPGs worth checking out on Genesis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you even listed my more obscure favourites, so feel free to have my babies!

If possible, I recommend you to check out Golden Sun for the Nintendo handhelds, starting with GBA. There is also a remake of the very first Mana game (released as Final Fantasy Adventure in the U.S. for Gameboy), this remake is called Sword of Mana, and it kicks ass! (get in on GBA! ).

Seriously, though. I usually come in to these kinds of thread to recommend SD3, so you kinda blew my plan xD If you haven't yet, you could always try a Single Character Challenge, which is exactly what the name implies. If this gets you hooked on Challenges, check out some of FF5's after. Hours (= months) of fun!

Edit: I mention handheld nintendo games because they tend to channel the spirit of SNES.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Might have to try some of them

..although I really, really didn't like Chrono trigger. At all. I dunno why it gets so much hype.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Well, you even listed my more obscure favourites, so feel free to have my babies!

If possible, I recommend you to check out Golden Sun for the Nintendo handhelds, starting with GBA. There is also a remake of the very first Mana game (released as Final Fantasy Adventure in the U.S. for Gameboy), this remake is called Sword of Mana, and it kicks ass! (get in on GBA! ).

Seriously, though. I usually come in to these kinds of thread to recommend SD3, so you kinda blew my plan xD If you haven't yet, you could always try a Single Character Challenge, which is exactly what the name implies. If this gets you hooked on Challenges, check out some of FF5's after. Hours (= months) of fun!
    I love tackling games with challenges like that. One of my favorites is the FFX No Sphere Grid Challenge. Haven't tried the SD3 one, I'll have to keep that in mind

It's a bit of a cheesy game, and it can be REALLY difficult but I loved it as a kid and I still love it now, but play Lagoon for the snes. It's not a turn based RPG but it's more like YS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdowS85K3I

Quote Originally Posted by Inexxa View Post
    It's a bit of a cheesy game, and it can be REALLY difficult but I loved it as a kid and I still love it now, but play Lagoon for the snes. It's not a turn based RPG but it's more like YS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdowS85K3I
    Lagoon is awesome. The soundtrack is really awesome too.

Aye, the game has amazing music. Philips castle is the most memorable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I love tackling games with challenges like that. One of my favorites is the FFX No Sphere Grid Challenge. Haven't tried the SD3 one, I'll have to keep that in mind
    My personal favourite is the single-type challenge for Pokemon games. You don't know the value of held items until you've tried beating an electric gym with only fliers Gonna have to test that no-sphere thingy, but first I have to check out the game itself. I've never played any of the PS2 FFs, but I really should get around to do it soon.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P