10+ Year Old Account

Half Life 2 + Elder Scrolls/Fallout = Half Life 3?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/9...ests-and-npcs/

Shit just might hit the fan.

Discuss
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted
    It's just a rumor for now. I hope it stays like that. I can't imagine Half Life 3 as an RPG.

I'm not all that hyped. It would be another example of genres melding and mixing up into a big gray mass where everything and all is made from the same mold. It makes harder to play the specific style of game I'd like to and I'd rather see HL3 expanding on it's foundations rather than going to another genre/type of gameplay even if the basic mechanics remains the same.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    All I'm saying is that it's Valve, and we've all seen what they're capable of
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

That's the worst idea ever lol.

Won't happen, it's just another rumor

inb4Valvedebunksviatwitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... not exactly much for rumors.

A person in contact that I would just assume french cause of that site linked is where the source is. That is close to Valve, which is stationed in the US Washington, no where near France, and is obviously anonymous. Okay.

In the off chance that it's true, the off off off chance...

Kinda a strange direction to go in and kinda don't like it, but at the same time Valve has yet to make a game that I've disliked in the past decade or so (We don't talk about Ricochet here) so I wouldn't be surprised that if this was the case, they found a way to pull it off and keep it awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no! I don´t want no Fallout 3 bullshit in my Half-Life!
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they do that? HL is great as an simple FPS. It doesn't need to be an RPG FPS.
    Putin khuliyo

I hope not. That would be a terrible direction to take the series.

Deleted
    Oh god no. I hope Half Life doesn't turn into a rpg, that would put the entire Half Life series to shame. I'd rather have it cancelled than seeing it as a rpg.

/drool

I hated Half Life 2 (I like Valve for the Portal series and making Steam tho ) and I love the Elder Scrolls series so I'm excited!

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 01:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Oh god no. I hope Half Life doesn't turn into a rpg, that would put the entire Half Life series to shame. I'd rather have it cancelled than seeing it as a rpg.
    Why? Either way, you're not the one playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    /drool

I hated Half Life 2 (I like Valve for the Portal series and making Steam tho ) and I love the Elder Scrolls series so I'm excited!
    I'm sorry but what exactly put you off from HL2, easily one of the best paced and uniquely crafted games ever. I just have high hopes for this cause I'm eager to see how well Valve could out-Bethesda Bethesda cause I'm pretty certain if they did the out one would be amazing.

I....I hope not. While I do think it was somewhat over-rated, Half Life 2 still remains one of the best single player campaigns I've ever played...I want more of that, because Valve did it very well.

I've played a number of Bethesda's RPG games now and yes, they are fun, but I guess I'm probably in the minority when I say I really don't like quests all that much in those games, generally speaking...in Skyrim, for example, I had more fun just exploring, crafting, and killing people however the hell I wanted than doing any actual quests, and I hardly did any of the optional ones that weren't related to something somewhat cool, like the Thieves guild or whatever.

What was great about Half Life 2, IMO, was the story and the way things flowed together...plus the puzzles were great. They take away the focus from making a single campaign then the main story will naturally be weaker and shorter and just less interesting, IMO, because they would have to focus on making a big open world and all that which doesn't fit the bill, IMO. There are RPGS and MMOs with open worlds and quests, Half Life 2 is a FPS and should stay that way.

Valve has never put meaningful statistical character progression in a game outside of "zomg bigger gun", so I really doubt the RPG side of it.
    Although, that would make it the first Valve game that I would like.
    Maybe a GTA style open world, but I doubt they would make tangible rewards outside of ammunition.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww