Poll: Would you be able to live in a world without any electronics & electricity?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If all electronics died...

So let's say that you wake up tomorrow and for reasons unknown every possible electronic device in the world dies and there would be no way to rectify this problem and we would basically be put back into an age where electronics and electricity did not exist yet. Do you think you would be able to put the way you live your life today behind you and survive without a phone, computer, radio, electricity, heat & air conditioning, cars, etc and have the will to not live with such things for the rest of your life? Would you embrace this change or would you just break down and go completely mental due to the loss of such things?

Edit: Rofl! I am fully aware that electricity and electronics did not come into play in society until the time of the industrial reveloution... When I referred to the "stone age" I am merely exaggerating! It's just a saying! Yeesh Reworded my question to keep the trolls away!
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-09-21 at 12:40 PM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    So let's say that you wake up tomorrow and for reasons unknown every possible electronic device in the world dies and there would be no way to rectify this problem and we would basically be put back into the stone age. Do yo think you would be able to put the way we live our lives today behind you and survive without a phone, computer, radio, electricity, heat & air conditioning, etc and have the will to not live with such things for the rest of your life? Would you embrace this change or would you just break down and go completely mental due to the loss of such things?
    What says a lot of folks aren't already mental because of the electronics?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

You mean this TV series that just premiered on Monday? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(TV_series)

Assuming I survive the inevitable rioting and mass murder and general apocalypse...

I could probably keep going. Just about. There'd be a hell of an adjustment period, but we wouldn't need all these electronic devices to distract us and keep us entertained: we'd keep busy from all the new work that'd need to be done. Farming, cooking, building maintenance, etc.

But yeah, I'd probably die in the riots.

you know they didnt have electronics up into the industrial age, i doubt we would be in the stone age

but for the actuall question: of course it would change a hell lot, i wouldnt like it, but i would not go mental about it... on the other hand people would go mental and raid stores and that would be an insane pain in the ass for the first weeks and utter chaos. but humanity will adapt

No, at least 95% of the world is dependant on electricity, it would take a long long time to get things back in order if at all.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhenaya View Post
    you know they didnt have electronics up into the industrial age, i doubt we would be in the stone age
    Yes, but I'm sure you get the idea :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It would probably fit into the same category of the zombie apocalypse, which I'm already mostly prepared for. Would it suck? Yeah. Would I survive, and thrive? Definitely.

I've already lived for over a month off the grid a number of times without any problems. It would probably be even easier to do with all of the supplies and tools and shelter available if such a thing happened.

It would honestly, probably end up being a better world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    You mean this TV series that just premiered on Monday? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(TV_series)
    In a nutshell yes. The premise for that show seems to be pretty cool, and it's from J.J Abrams to boot... But I have lost all faith in networks such as NBC these days

It's really quite a ridiculous scenario, only slightly better than that utterly unscientific novel that was cited in Congress (One Second After).

I enjoyed the booting up sequence at the end of the first episode though.

I don't think I could, as lame as it sounds.

I'd go insane in a week.

It'd cause a lot of other problems too, considering how little money now is actual tangible currency, the numbers recorded on computers, it'd probably crash the world economy easily.

I suspect mass anarchy, I might not even survive that week. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    You know it was a guy from MMO-Champ who wrote that. Pretty cool.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

easily im used to living in the outback where we use bugger all electronic stuff

Deleted
    My internet went down for 7 days last week. I have seen a glimpse of a hell that can't be compared.

I live quite isolated as it is (Trolol forests of Sweden strikes again)

15+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the bigger problems is that our entire economy is based on electronics, all our bank accounts are just numbers on a computer database. Suddenly money would be much more scarce . .

Also most jobs would become redundant, most modern cars wouldnt work (pretty much all cars on the market rely on at least a minor amount of electronics - ignition switch what?

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You know it was a guy from MMO-Champ who wrote that. Pretty cool.
    Really? Who was it?

Ugh, The television show revolution is just really bad "all electronics just died, we don't know why" - Righto great way to have a series things don't work cause i said so logic can go blow it out the airlock.

The only thing that would cause electronics to stop functioning like that television show is somebody like a solar flare or gamma ray burst and 15 years later, EVERYONE WOULD STILL BE DEAD! ^_^

I don't forsee anything like this even happening, Dinosaurs coming back to life is a better option.

Maybe in the future power will cost so much because the demand for it will be so great that the poorest people can't power where they live, But that wont be a problem being as we'll over populate way before that.

Its depressing they granted this show a run, when a show with real premise Jericho was canceled and it was at least a possible future, Ugh they just wanted a Xena show.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

I'm a software developer, so I guess I would be pretty screwed.

That said, I'm fit and outdoorsy, so I'm sure I would survive just fine becoming a farmer or something.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

While I'd be concerned about the loss of modern scientific endeavor and medicine, I have a running fantasy where I survive some technological apocalypse to go on to live a simple life in some idyllic location. Of course, the fantasy leaves out all of the difficult and frustrating stuff. And I'm definitely a consumer of modern convenience.

Still, it would be nice to go back to having gaps in between the things that happen.