Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shale spider:best pet in MOP to use while NOT in raid or pvp?

I thought shale spider was the best pet to use while alone or levelling because it's the only pet that gives u a buff on your main stat ( agility). But I tried using femaledwarf it doesn't seem so! it seems crit bonus is still the best then we got the mastery bonus and finally the 5% agility from the shale spider. how is that possible? i'm using femaledward beta and it's telling me i got like 320 dps loss if I use a shale spider instead of a wolf. Any clues? Thanks

Deleted
    Need more info to explain this to you. Like... spec? Itemlevel? Stuff you're fighting...

Buy yourself 2 drums of forgotten kings from LW and use 5% crit or 10% haste from pet.

Flat (%) increase is better when leveling instead of gear scaling like shale spider.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2012-09-21 at 12:38 PM.

Well I'm bm ilevel doesn't matter I'm speaking in general.. Could u tell me better why flat bonus is better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crushy88 View Post
    Well I'm bm ilevel doesn't matter I'm speaking in general.. Could u tell me better why flat bonus is better?
    Itemlevel and what you're fighting is actually quite relevant, if you want to know why it says you lose 320 dps.

Flat bonus is good because it doesn't change with gear. As you level up, crit rating on gear gives you less crit %. A wolf will always give you the same crit %, no matter what level you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Itemlevel and what you're fighting is actually quite relevant, if you want to know why it says you lose 320 dps.

Flat bonus is good because it doesn't change with gear. As you level up, crit rating on gear gives you less crit %. A wolf will always give you the same crit %, no matter what level you are.
    well what if i'm level 90? i guess femaledward is guessing i'm levelling now.. and idk what i'm fighting.. u can't choose what you are fighting in the dps analyzer..

Deleted
    For BM pvp, it's a toss up between shale spider for the stun independent of you, and spirit beast for the healing.

For pve...I'd say devilsaur for the crit buff or spirit beast for the mastery buff. You can also go with core hound if your group doesn't have a mage or shaman for heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    For BM pvp, it's a toss up between shale spider for the stun independent of you, and spirit beast for the healing.

For pve...I'd say devilsaur for the crit buff or spirit beast for the mastery buff. You can also go with core hound if your group doesn't have a mage or shaman for heroism.
    why should i go for mastery bonus when the first thing that matters to hunters is agility and the shale spider gives me agi bonus?

If you're really trying to maximize you'd use drums (which give you 4% of the 5% stats bonus) and then use another pet which provides you a benefit you can't get from a consumable. Crit is probably your best option but you can try alternatives and see how they sim for short fights.

On the dps analyzer in the settings section you can specify the target level and target armor so you can do some simulation of targets that aren't boss level. However you'd need to have some idea of what armor is on the target- I don't know if there is a chart anywhere of lower level mob armor. The dps analyzer isn't designed for simulation of characters below 90 though, so it won't give you perfect data. You can try simming in lower level gear and no raid buffs and see which pet buff gives you the most benefit when other raid buffs aren't included. 5% agil is probably best, but since you can get 4% from drums there are probably better alternatives (if you want to use the drums that is).

Why ask if you ignore advice from people who know. I level with a shale spider and pvp as I like their abilities - have both Tank (purple) and dps (pink) ones, but, I use skoll, spirit beast, for dungeons because most people love the mastery buff he gives

@saffa, i'm not ignoring advices i'm just asking politely for further explanations cause i like to understand the stuff inside @zeherah, yes i had thought that 5% agi is prob the best.. i'll try more and see ( cool stuff the drums too bad they are consumables)

Deleted
    Gogo mega pet

Just take leatherworking and use drums of forgotten kings then get a pet with another useful buff.

you guys are totally wrong, what i do is join a bg, get all posible castable buff i can then roll with a pet that can debuff/do things other cant.

like spirit beast for healing.
    wasp for extra stun
    croc for slow so i dont have to waste gcd on conc shot and so on.

Don't you lose all the buffs that you gained in a dungeon/battleground from another player when you leave it?

Deleted
    well what if i'm level 90? i guess femaledward is guessing i'm levelling now.. and idk what i'm fighting.. u can't choose what you are fighting in the dps analyzer..
    That's exactly the reason I'm asking. You're not out actually doing the stuff you talk about, you're just assuming based on a simulator. So here's the deal:

While leveling, out in the world, 320 dps difference will do ZERO for you. Since you specced Beast Mastery, you want your pet to work for you, you don't want to shoot stuff until they die. Use a Spirit Beast for the Mastery buff so it can actually do what you want it to with that spec. If you do want to shoot stuff and not rely on the pet, go Marksmanship.
    While leveling, in a dungeon group, 320 dps difference will do ZERO for you. Use the pet that grants a buff your group composition doesn't have. Combined performance increase > personal gain, always.
    At max level, while out in the world, 320 dps still does ZERO for you. I'd still use Spirit Beast for BM, but I can see the benefit of a turtle or scarab specced Tenacity if you're out farming multiple mobs.
    At max level, while in a dungeon group, 320 dps only helps stroke your epeen. Again, use the buff that your group needs.

Bottom line, a 320 dps loss is only relevant when you're raiding. In PVP, survival & utility > raw dps. In raiding, if all buffs are supplied by others, use the pet that you prefer to look at. Otherwise, use the one granting the buff you all need.

tbh i prefer the haste buff that a hyena gives than the crit buff or the stat buff
    being able to shoot steadys quicker seems more useful to me while ive been leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Just take leatherworking and use drums of forgotten kings then get a pet with another useful buff.
    LW isn't needed to use the Kings drums. Only the speed and fear drums.

@saffa, i'm not ignoring advices i'm just asking politely for further explanations cause i like to understand the stuff inside @zeherah, yes i had thought that 5% agi is prob the best.. i'll try more and see ( cool stuff the drums too bad they are consumables)
    I told you that its not. You are better off buying drums for 4% stats + other buff from other pet.

Even if you dont buy them, the 5% agility is direcly effected BY THE GEAR YOU WEAR. When you level up and reach 90 you will use blues and greens which scale worse than epics. You can accept that or keep asking pointless questions.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2012-09-22 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post

Water strider beats devilsaur hands down.