Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    People, just remember the scenario is for level 90 originally. I'm not sure if there'll be things that'll lead to it, but we're playing it ahead of time!

You can still find Rhonin alive in Dalaran if you go there now, even after you have done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice indeed.
    And i can't believe you didn't notice this. Those flags weren't really flags, they were..."flags".. Hence the importance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The whole story of the book isn't just the attack on Theramore... and you know that.

Even a LITTLE background detail is enough. That's why I like the Judge Dredd movie that just came out this weekend. Gave everybody's backstory perfectly all in 30 second nuggets of dialogue, and then we're back into the main story.

Things like seeing Rhonin getting killed are easy... 5 seconds and it's over with. Things like Jaina explaining why the iris is here and what she's going to do with it... 10 seconds.
    My thoughts exactly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treekodar View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about the story behind Theramore's Fall. Oh well.
    Wait! There was a story?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdandy View Post
    People, just remember the scenario is for level 90 originally. I'm not sure if there'll be things that'll lead to it, but we're playing it ahead of time!

You can still find Rhonin alive in Dalaran if you go there now, even after you have done it.
    umm....no.
    Theramore happens right now, before we find Pandaria.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    To be fair, Jaina does help you with the last boss. She summons some Water Elementals to help you.
    yeah. but i actually prefer to take them all where they spawn. it's so much easier when they aren't spread out. and when you do that the water elementals just sit there like dolts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    read the novel?
    you dont expect them to tell that whole story, especially in a scenario, now do you?
    to tell the whole story of what happens in the book, you probably need a questchain of 100+ quests
    Well its the principle of it. I pay for the game therfore the bulk of the story should be told in the game with books adding character depth and/or side stories. NOT the other way round.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 12:01 AM ----------

They did tell SOMETHING. Horde sweeps in to rescue the Sunreaver mage, Theramore gets obliterated by a mana bomb, Alliance gets in to help Jaina recover the Focusing Iris. For a scenario, that is supposed to be something similar to group quests, that's quite alright.
    Who is the sunreaver mage? Why is he imprisoned? The focusing iris? How did that get there? Isnt that in control of the Blue flight?

Yeah I know the answers to these question because I looked it up on wowpedia etc. But I shouldn't have to that. This is a major lore point and a turning point in the war and we were given next to nothing unless we throw yet more money at what is fast become DLC in book form.

Even traditional quests in the scenario itself where you click the guy in charge and he says some words before you click accept on the quest saying something like "The Horde attack failed on purpose so that our spy could weaken the defenses and let us in, now you must sneak in, do some damage and rescue that spy! First here's a quest to burn the ships" Simple as that, now I know where I am and why with a few simple words. Instead I get some words on the screen saying "BURN DA SHIPS!!!!!11!"
    Last edited by mmoc1fee0e8527; 2012-09-23 at 11:05 PM.

You mean like dungeons, raids and quests?
    Those are for gear, gear and exp/gear. Scenarios have been said to not include anything above a "dungeon blue." And they were advertised as a way to drive players through a story event. If they aren't going to be lore heavy and aren't going to be a source of relevant non-transmog gear, then why do them more than once?
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    You missed a few things, we see Garrosh use the Dark Shaman to summon fire giants to help destroy Northwatch, and Kraken against the alliance fleet that attacks Orgimmar.

There is no "flight" per se anymore, they splintered and all went their separate ways, plus they sent 5 powerful dragons to guard it and we trounced them somehow (not told WHO specifically stole it in the book)

Also the Horde has a "Gestapo" run by a blackrock orc, so no defeatist / anti-garrosh sentiments in public or you get "disappeared"
    Yeah there are a few things I chose not to include since they aren't directly related to the scenario.

Updated the post anyway with the Northwatch hold bit.

Hope you enjoy my post those of you unfamiliar with the story! (It's on Pg2)
    The years know things the days never did.
    Evil exists to glorify the good. Evil is negative good. It is a relative term. Evil can be transmuted into good. What is evil to one at one time, becomes good at another time to somebody else.

Absolutely brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Very nice indeed.
    And i can't believe you didn't notice this. Those flags weren't really flags, they were..."flags".. Hence the importance.
    Ohhhh, now I see. It all makes sense, then.

Deleted
    I love this video so much. If only it was released sooner, it'd have saved me making that massive thread making the same points. :/ I want Blizzard to see it badly. >
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-09-24 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    umm....no.
    Theramore happens right now, before we find Pandaria.
    Also Dal in Northrend is in the "past" so yes Rhonin is alive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The whole story of the book isn't just the attack on Theramore... and you know that.

Even a LITTLE background detail is enough. That's why I like the Judge Dredd movie that just came out this weekend. Gave everybody's backstory perfectly all in 30 second nuggets of dialogue, and then we're back into the main story.

Things like seeing Rhonin getting killed are easy... 5 seconds and it's over with. Things like Jaina explaining why the iris is here and what she's going to do with it... 10 seconds.
    Exactly, the whole book is more than just the actual attack. That is the point. But the scenario was just about the attack. There is just too much backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Those are for gear, gear and exp/gear. Scenarios have been said to not include anything above a "dungeon blue." And they were advertised as a way to drive players through a story event. If they aren't going to be lore heavy and aren't going to be a source of relevant non-transmog gear, then why do them more than once?
    That is a very simplified view, considering that up until now quests, raids and dungeons were all we had to tell the story - and they've done a good job. Scenarios contain lore too, don't get me wrong. They feature key points in Azeroth. But it can't tell a story like a novel or even a questline in a zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphiroc View Post
    Well its the principle of it. I pay for the game therfore the bulk of the story should be told in the game with books adding character depth and/or side stories. NOT the other way round.
    The bulk of the story IS told in the game. However some stories are better told in a novel. It's not like they've just started putting out novels. They've been doing this for years. People complained the same way about Stormrage and Shattering. "I want to see the events ingame, not read a book about it." With implementing the scenarios they've gone farther than ever before with putting events from the book into the game.
    If they'd put all the events of the book into the game, why have a novel in the first place? If I buy a novel, and then see I can play through it ingame, it would feel like I play through something I already know. And if someone plays through it, then it drains the motivation to read the book. "Why read it, I already know what happens." Novels and the game should complement each other.

You get the main thing. You get to see Theramore destroyed. If you want details, read the novel. That's what it's for. If you don't want to read a whole book, read a synopsis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphiroc View Post

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 12:01 AM ----------

Who is the sunreaver mage? Why is he imprisoned? The focusing iris? How did that get there? Isnt that in control of the Blue flight?

Yeah I know the answers to these question because I looked it up on wowpedia etc. But I shouldn't have to that. This is a major lore point and a turning point in the war and we were given next to nothing unless we throw yet more money at what is fast become DLC in book form.

Even traditional quests in the scenario itself where you click the guy in charge and he says some words before you click accept on the quest saying something like "The Horde attack failed on purpose so that our spy could weaken the defenses and let us in, now you must sneak in, do some damage and rescue that spy! First here's a quest to burn the ships" Simple as that, now I know where I am and why with a few simple words. Instead I get some words on the screen saying "BURN DA SHIPS!!!!!11!"
    Those answers only spring more questions.
    Why was a Sunreaver mage there? Why were any mages there? Why did the Kirin Tor help Jaina, they are neutral. Why did the Sunreaver mage betray them? Who else was there? What is the Focusing Iris? - And like you yourself say: how did it get there? If it was in the possesion of the blues, who took it and how?

The same goes for showing Rhonin when the Mana Bomb explodes. How many people even know Rhonin? Even if they know him, they don't know why he's there. You'd have to explain that too. You'd have to go into the prophecy and all that. And if you don't, he's just a random dude dying.

The reason the scenarios don't give you more text, to tell you why you do what you're doing, is because it's not needed. Keep it nice and simple.
    Do you know what people do with quest texts in dungeons, or with quests in general? Most people just click accept, without reading it.

READ THE NOVEL.
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2012-09-24 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    What!?!?!

The Horde was simply trying to mail a very nice BBQ grill to the Alliance as a present for the 10th anniversery of Thermore's founding.

And that's why you should never use goblin-made items. Whoever heard of a nuclear-powered Char-Broil?
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    If Jaina ever becomes the Lich queen, you know how her weapon will be called?

Theramourne.
    It is probably because it is 2:30 am, but this is way too funny.

OT:

The horde side isn't much better. I am not really too upset at the scenario for not having lore in it since it was made to be a 10-15 minute 3 player dungeon but I am a little surprised Jaina doesn't help out a little more on the alliance side.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Actually, if you pay attention to some of the NPC dialogue on the ships and such (y'know, instead of racing off all murderhobo) then you do get a little bit of context - the Horde shipmaster does tell you that the raid failed and you are the backup plan, and the spy tells you at the end that you weren't the backup, but instead were the distraction.

The Alliance side is slightly less detailed in its reasons, but it does give a somewhat plausible explanation for why Jaina doesn't assist in the fights (attuning to the Iris in order to safely remove it takes assloads of concentration) and why you're burning ships and killing tanks and such (you're taking out the stragglers and looters and such digging through the debris for valuables, and the flag-recovering is a morale thing, like how folks after a tornado will go picking through the debris for mementos and whatnot)
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

That is a very simplified view, considering that up until now quests, raids and dungeons were all we had to tell the story - and they've done a good job. Scenarios contain lore too, don't get me wrong. They feature key points in Azeroth. But it can't tell a story like a novel or even a questline in a zone.
    You may want to try that again, because you've yet to explain your position in actual detail. If it's not for gear and it's not giving you lore more than a non-instanced quest series, then what purpose do they serve?
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    You may want to try that again, because you've yet to explain your position in actual detail. If it's not for gear and it's not giving you lore more than a non-instanced quest series, then what purpose do they serve?
    justice points

and fun I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Worth watching it, nicely done ty
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power