Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    People play games to escape reality, not to do the same shit.
    Annoying and tedious things have no place in video games but a measure of reality is still required. For example, I never understood why it took my character in Sims an hour to walk from the door to the toilet.

There have been numerous studies to show that as virtual reality approaches true realism, appeal sharply drops off. The good news is it picks up again when nearing 100% accuracy. Has to do with the way we empathize. When you see something that's close to real, slight imperfections feel like a malformation, or mutation of reality, which we as a race find abhorrent subconsciously. Logically this affects different people differently, depending on how much they project themselves into the virtual setting.

Deleted
    Dude, we are gamers.

I went outside once, but the graphics are meh and the gameplay is horrible. Also bad community.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about you but one of the main reasons why I liked WoW is it's graphics. I tried Rift but it just ended being too serious. I don't want my grass to be depressing everywhere I go, I want it to be nice and green!

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found realism nice in certain areas like in movement (getting tired after running fast etc..) but when you add tedium to things like going to the bathroom at x y and z times or you develop a horrible bladder problem resulting in the destruction of the universe because the hero couldn't find a toilet in the Cavern's of Doom is where I draw the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I have against realistic games is how today everybody wants to make a realistic game for some reason. It just gets so annoying. Why not make a game where it's totally unrealistic where your main character can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes and transforms into a dragon? I just get so sick of the generic realistic FPS and TPS games, there's no creativity anymore.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    Realistic is good when well done, look at Crysis or BF3...problem is most game designer want to make a realistic game but either just suck at making one or don't have the budget for one.

If you can't do it, than don't. Arma is a perfect example of it, it looks like crap and fails at realism. Operation Flashpoint came close to realistic simulation but failed aswell. Closest thing to a realistic army game I ever saw was Americas Army 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Realism in WoW doesn't work because it breaks WoW's whimsical, cartoony, high fantasy style.

It works in some games, but I prefer stylized games. Deus Ex HR's sepia tones, BioShock's comic style, etc.

A game does not have to be realistic in order to be fun.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    The thing about "realistic" movement is that it mostly means unresponsive movement, which most people hate.

In racing games a lot of people prefer it to be unrealistic, due to the skill required to drive with a realistic model. Need for Speed as a franchise has typically made arcade style unrealistic driving games, and as a franchise is the most successful racing series in terms of overall sales.

Now people will say that the games are fun and that's fair play, but to me I prefer realism, especially in my racing games it's exactly what makes it fun, having a car the drives realistically just as it would in the real world. I dont see the fun in driving the latest Lamborghini or Ferrari in a game in the knowledge that other than looks it bares no resemblence to the characteristics or limitations of the real thing, but not everyone cares about these things.

Often enough people can see realism as boring, simulation games as being boring, slow realism games as being too slow paced (Shenmue on dreamcast for example, was a life simulating RPG).
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    ITT: We mix the term "realistic" with "authentic".

There's nothing wrong in a game being authentic, but being realistic generally is boring and not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Arma is a perfect example of it, it looks like crap and fails at realism.
    Yeah... if you balance realism only on animations and glitches.

Realistic graphics age really bad, besides, if I wanted to see something true to life, I'd go outside. I play games for the escapism.

That said, I do enjoy sim games like, Harvest Moon, and The Sims series, but I can live a completely different life from my own in those games.

I like how when supporting his wish for more realisim the OP provides an example of a "realisim" mechanics forcing you to stop playing the game to do a pointless "realistic" task.

The levels of realisim really depend on the specific idea/concept you're talking about and the genre of game it's included in.

I've NEVER found things like "hunger" or "sleep" that force me to quit playing to address to be fun, it quickly becomes tedious and frustrating in any game it is included in.

I prefer more cartoony graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The main problem with a incredibly realistic game is that any abnormality is considered ugly/flaw etc. while none realistic games can get away with it far easier.

Take for example graphics/animations:

Take for example the simple thing of a horse walking. Most games have the effect that a horse handles like a motorcycle.. and looks so to, so you end up with something that looks incredibly unnatural. The affect that this has on the immersion from a game is incredibly large if its all meant to be realistic.
    Therefor a realistic game generally requires incredible animations. While less realistic games can get away with worse/surreal animations. If you in a realistic game do not have the right set of animations and graphics it simply breaks the whole feel of the game. And that is more the reason why people.. or developers sometimes rather opt for non realistic graphics.

Another thing to note here is, do we really want graphics that are as great as photo realism? I honestly think then we might be going a step to far, especially related to FPS games (or any game you murder somebody in). We are already at a point where some people (who are granted before playing already mentally unstable) cannot tell the difference anymore between a game and real life.

Or gameplay/mechanics:

The same more or less applies here a non realistic game can do things a realistic game couldn't as a comparison take a medieval game like chivalry while at first this game might seem like an accurate representation of how a battle in the medieval time might have went. The fact that a soldier never gets tired makes no sense. If you make everything perfectly realistic and that would be the "aim" of the game (for example it says on the box a accurate representation of a medieval battle) you are for most people going to compromise in the department of fun. Devs / publishers heck even gamers realize that having to take a break every 5-10 swings with a sword =/= fun it breaks the whole pacing of a game. Therefor most games are not realistic. The only games that even come close to realistic representations are simulators. And even simulators let you do things you otherwise could never do (even though this has more to do with the fact the game never gets fleshed out and focuses purely on the simulator aspects).

Designing a game that is 100% accurate of a real life situation simply becomes tedious if you have to do everything. Eat, sleep, fight not have enough endurance to last more then 5-10 swings with your giant 2h-sword.

In the end realism can be added as a wrapper around everything, but designing a game to be 100% realistic is just silly and would do it more bad then good. If you add certain things into a game that "represent" realistic things to immerse a player into a game more. By make a player do things they can relate with like having the need for food or even sleep (like in dishonored) you can create an incredibly immersive story. Going 100% realistic simply make a game not fun, makes it feel like real life. Which is just what games are trying to make you escape from for a moment.

TLDR:

While realism is important in certain games depending on what they try to do. A games fun level is not dependent on it, a game can be completely nuts (saints row 3 style) and be incredibly fun. Or be trying to tell a deep and serious / more realistic story (like spec ops the line), or simply try to simulate real life like a simulator.

Fun =/= determined by if a game is realistic or not.

The only thing realistic games have to deal more with then non realistic games is the fact that any fault/bug graphical error etc. breaks the immersion of such a game far more then a non realistic game.
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-12-02 at 02:40 AM.

Realism is not for every game (or for most games tbh). Imagine Mario games mixed with realism....no thank you.

Games that are meant to take realism as a factor are mostly simulation style games, such as The Sims, Flight Simulator, the new game Farming Simulator 2013 comes to mind as well.

For other games such as shooters, platforms, MMOs, even RPGs such as Morrowind, they have to take gameplay as priority, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to jump 3-4 times my height to crush those evil Goombas.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    There have been numerous studies to show that as virtual reality approaches true realism, appeal sharply drops off. The good news is it picks up again when nearing 100% accuracy. Has to do with the way we empathize. When you see something that's close to real, slight imperfections feel like a malformation, or mutation of reality, which we as a race find abhorrent subconsciously. Logically this affects different people differently, depending on how much they project themselves into the virtual setting.
    I believe you are confusing virtual reality with androids. This phenomenon is called the Uncanny Valley. Unless, of course, you can share links with the exact same phenomenon dealing with Virtual Reality studies as you say.

Deleted
    The level of realism that is desired depends on the game.

Nothing more, nothing less.