Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret vs BM Hunter 1v1

i posted this on the Bliz offy forums, but i only got one response. i figured i might get more feedback here.

i'm not one to spec my alliance ret pally for a particular 1v1 fight. i've been farting around in random bg's and world encounters. until arena starts, i'm still in the feeling-out process. i'm currently LAotL, BoG, SH, HoP, and HA. i have full cata gear set up as follows:

speed is 3.11
    mastery (with might) is 35%
    crit is just under 19%
    pvp res is 65%
    pvp power is just over 23%.

my question is, how do i even stand a chance against a BM hunter? the other day i went up against a horde BM in grizzly hills, and i was happy he donated his precious time to continually fight and kill me after i respawned (he even allowed me to heal up and make the first attack). not a single battle did i even get his health to even 50%. i found i used my burst to heal myself. between his concussive shots, his disengage, his ferocious-ass tiger pet, and i swear to you he was also accompanied by a bear (or he somehow charmed a neighboring bear to help him), . . . . i just couldn't stand a chance. i couldn't emancipate/freedom myself enough to even get to him. the fights didn't last very long at all.

i tried different strategies, from getting inquisition up as quickly as i could, followed by my burst, .. .. to opening up w/ burst once i was available to, to totally going defensive and using my HP for heals. the terrain was a bit uneven with water and stuff, so i'm sure that played a part in it. i had to do a little swimming across waters he was able to disengage across. i couldn't use trees as cover because they can shoot thru trees (although i can also judge thru trees), all the while his friggen pet was eating my ass alive. the fights all went fast.

i'm not saying this 1v1 encounter should be balanced, nor am i saying i want to spec my toon around a specific 1v1 encounter. this isn't a discussion about balance, but about helpful suggestions. i for one concluded that maybe fist of justice would have been better (although i don't see myself quickly swapping talents in mid-air when i see a hunter incoming) also, either HA or SW would have been sufficient for dmg, although i would probably have more self-healing w/ HA.

what sugguestions do you guys have? do i just bend over and take it like a man? on bliz forums, one person said wait until the BM blows all his cooldowns, then bubble/heal and survive. once i get past that part, it's like "shooting fish in a barrel". i for one just don't see it that easy.

thanks!!!
    Last edited by Kraniel; 2012-09-23 at 02:52 PM.

Fighting a hunter 1v1 is a duel of attrition. Use LoS like a boss. It's seriously the only way to win. You cannot stand toe-to-toe with him, you gotta pillar hump, heal, and re-engage.

what are the signs of a BM hunter blowing his cooldowns? and is it like ret where they can single-macro everything to happen all at once?

Yes, BM hunter damage is extremely front loaded as well. I find that I can always beat hunters when I focus on surviving their opener. Bubble if you have to. You know they have everything popped when their pet is enraged (bestial wrath) and the pet is hopping around crazy (lynx rush) and there is another pet like you said (dire beast)

10+ Year Old Account
    BM has lot of burst...and with readiness they can pretty much use rapid fire+bestial wrath+dire beast+lynx rush twice. Besides that they have silencing shot which forbids you from using exorcism and HoW. Also worth mentioning is they can heal themselves with spirit beast for a fair amount every 45 secs. BM is top spec right now...2 days left into expansion mate dont worry too much abt lvl 85 pvp.

Bm hunters are pretty strong right now, However I don't really seem to have any problems beating them. I think it really just comes down to out lasting them by knowing when to heal yourself and how to use Cd's.

I find using bubble offensively (Soak the burs cds, continue hitting while not using CDs to generate HP) following up into HoF tends to really piss off and and throw off most BM hunters I've seen. Same tactic works for Mages too I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    I find using bubble offensively (Soak the burs cds, continue hitting while not using CDs to generate HP) . . .
    . . . But only when you see that the hunter has hit his cooldowns, right? And can't a hunter remove a pally bubble?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraniel View Post
    And can't a hunter remove a pally bubble?
    If I'm not much mistaken, only Warriors and Priests can remove your bubble (shattering throw and Mass Dispel, respectively).
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Hunters can remove HoP but not Divine Shield

I appreciate everyone's responses. I got 7 times more response here than I got on Bliz forums. Besides that, nobody started the "noob" calling (yet).

Almost every class is complaining about Hunters atm.. Though it's quite a challenge (and quite fun) to duel them, if you dont have a way to LoS them you're pretty much screwed unless you can time your bubble+HoF depending on when he/she pops CD's. I find it EXTREMELY hard without Bubble up.

10+ Year Old Account
    doubt you can turtle enough to survive double BW+lynx , if you have any LoS available - pull his pet there and kill it (gonna have to do it twice) , after that its cakewalk

Well the one hunter that tried to kill me got his ass whooped, but beyond that, I don't know how bad it actually is with equal gear etc.

Hunter here. BM is all about burst. If you can survive the burst you will win the thing is BM hunters now have readiness reset Bestial Wrath (big red pet) and its pretty impossible to survive. Killing the pet is very useful too since half the damage comes from the pet beware though because the dps spec of the pets has an instant rez. Good hunters will try to force the bubble and then pop BW/Lynx.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

make sure to stun the owner and nuke the pet. After that, the owner should be easy to finish off.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tzor View Post
    make sure to stun the owner and nuke the pet. After that, the owner should be easy to finish off.
    They usually trinket the stun, no?... Maybe a quick BL but thats IF you can get in close enough to him. LoS is still the best way imo -- and hope he doesn't pull his pet back.

Edit: *Also, you're going to have to kill his pet twice.*

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Edit: *Also, you're going to have to kill his pet twice.*
    ugghhh . .. . 3 against 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    They usually trinket the stun, no?... Maybe a quick BL but thats IF you can get in close enough to him. LoS is still the best way imo -- and hope he doesn't pull his pet back.
    The way I killed the hunter was LoS actually. I went into one of the houses at Tian Monastery and he was foolish enough to follow me in after I got the chance to use a couple Flash of Lights.

the greatest tip i can give u to fighting hunters is go play one ... no srsly im not joking ...

i would say the only reason i win 90% of the time against hunters is i know his class as well as i know ret ... so i know what he wants to do

but heres something i always make sure to do against hunters ... if you wanna avoid there first scatter trap if he BM wraths bubble early and use it offensively your immune to cc and snare for 8 seconds you can put pressure down fast

it has a better result then you trinketing the first trap and it means he cant silence u to stop u freedoming